1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

shipping options? safest way to ship 2600 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:12 PM
shortyk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shipping options? safest way to ship 2600 miles?

Hi, I'm totally new to this site, but I'm hoping to get some advice from others, as well as share in the good ol'truck love going on here.
Around December I will be moving 2600 miles across the country, and im very nervous about shipping my truck. It's an 86 f250 4x4, I can't justify the fuel cost of driving her at 6 to 8 mpg. My question is what is the most reliable method? Also, what companies have you used, and did it arrive safely?I've put a lot of time, money, and sweat into her and the idea of someone else being responsible for "helga" for that long makes me nervous. I know the companies are insured, as is my truck, but I really don't want the headache of more repair.
Thank you so much for taking time to answer this.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Welcome to FTE

Somebody will be along with some hands on experience, but keep in mind you may be money ahead (and aggravation) to sell the old gal. Maybe not, but be prepared for that and keep an open mind. Are you moving to California? You don't want that nightmare, for example.

As far as insurance is concerned don't assume anything, you'll have to make some inquiries. I'd be surprised if the shipper paid off anything more than a few hundred dollars if something were to happen.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:34 PM
shortyk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In actually moving from California, headed to Georgia. I was considering selling her, but I've already put $8,500 into her this year so that would be a last resort.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:10 AM
JordanL91
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shortyk
In actually moving from California, headed to Georgia. I was considering selling her, but I've already put $8,500 into her this year so that would be a last resort.
Id like to see pictures... Im sure Im not the only one

Old 06-17-2015, 08:20 AM
ozark1
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

If you list with a service like USHIP..be prepared to be bombarded with Emails from every BOZO with a pickup and a trailer. I made that mistake when I shipped my Mercedes from Florida to our farm here in Arkansas. I also found that most of the major players..Passport. Intercity, etc..do not like to get far off the beaten path..like where I am. I would check with the majors first..I informed my insurance company before shipping..and it was covered as usual. Open or closed transport have different prices. My cost..Open..1200 miles..took about 5 days..$850.00..Good Luck..jv..

Old 06-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Ozark, when you say the insurance was "covered as usual", you mean to say your comprehensive policy limits were still the same? Not everyone carries comprehensive on their truck - and I'd just as soon have the carrier pay off rather than ding my insurance, if that's even possible, I dunno.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:54 PM
ozark1
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

I called my Ins. Co....Farm Bureau...and had them add the Mercedes to my existing policy with coverage that I wanted..In my case..10K...while it was in shipment.. After it is delivered, you can make any other arrangements..

Old 06-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Ah... OK. that makes sense, and great advice too!

Old 06-18-2015, 05:50 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Having been there (not wanting to drive Festus 1200 miles), done that, bought the T-shirt, and got my ticket punched ... three years ago we loaded up a 16' Budget truck, rented a car carrier, and moved from Illinois to Colorado.

Be advised that these tow dollies are designed to not waste an inch - as you can see in the photos, you can draw an imaginary vertical line from the rear edge of the trailer through the center of the wheel. And believe me, I had the truck cranked as far forward as possible. And added lots of come alongs and tow straps.

I called DOT and everyone I could think of, and this is the DOT-specified trailer for the wheelbase.

I removed the dog dishes from my rims, and we packed the cab full of boxes and bags to make it a bit less tempting when we spent the night in Dog Lick, Kansas. (Not shown here, we'd already emptied the truck.) I also had some heavy chains with mega-padlocks holding Festus to the trailer. And I backed up into a spot at the hotel where the trailer couldn't be unlocked and unhitched. Hey, I plan these things to a T and take a lot of precautions, but I haven't been a crime victim.

I actually joined AARP just to get the Budget Rental discount, which was hefty.

Be advised that there is a substantial pucker factor involved, but it eases over the first few hours and you'll once again be able to use the toilet.

Attached Images   
Old 06-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
If you happen to go to uhaul and you tell them you are going to haul a full size pickup, they will refuse to rent it to you. I had my 1980 breakdown on me during my last move(I was only moving a hour away) and they would not rent me a trailer, they said their trailers were not big enough to haul one. From the pictures above I can see what they meant.

Since it wasn't that far, I rented a box truck about the size of the one in the picture above, and use my tow bar to flat tow it to my new house. I had to tow it because I had broken the crankshaft in it.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:10 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
WilleyJoe62,

What if you had let the air out of the front tires once it was on the trailer?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:35 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
I actually considered that. But the "logic" of it was that the trailer only needs to be as long as the contact area of the tires, so anything beyond that is wasted space. Or so I was told.

To clarify ... I went the full route on the Budget website, called them, told them what I was doing, gave them the GVW, length, width, etc. I wasn't trying to outsmart them, and really didn't want have an issue out on the plains. It worked just fine, 1200 miles and it didn't budge one bit. I reckon the proof is in the puddin'. I'm just not a big fan of towing things.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
WilleyJoe62,

What if you had let the air out of the front tires once it was on the trailer?

I did just that when I used a U-haul car hauler(told them I was putting a Chrysler Lebaron on it hehe) years ago. And it was a E150 van to boot! Airing down the front tires helped pull the van on the trailer forward 4 inches and I had not one issue.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Shortyk - Welcome to FTE!

Why are you only getting that MPG? Even with a 460 I would expect you to be in the 8-10 MPG range. And, if you got it to 10 MPG it would cost you about $750 in gas to drive it. So, tell us about your truck and maybe someone here can suggest things that'll get the MPG where it should be.

As for shipping, make SURE you are well insured. I had a company ship my Super Bee and they damaged it and then pointed fingers at each other on responsibility. So you need to make 100% sure you are covered, and expect there to be problems. Then, if there aren't you'll be happy.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:14 PM
jason832
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've used the uhaul trailers a few times. How it works is if you don't have a heavy enough truck to pull, they won't rent it to me. The trailer itself can handle the load of the truck. And it JUST FITS with stock tires. But it works well.

Quick Reply: shipping options? safest way to ship 2600 miles?