Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ZF 6 speed clutch pedal rod question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 AM
cavitation
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZF 6 speed clutch pedal rod question

I looked everywhere for information on replacing the nylon/plastic bushing in the clutch master cylinder rod eye end. It is the wear bushing in the eye of the master cylinder rod that connects to the stud on the clutch pedal. Mine is worn and it is creating some excess slop in the pedal. What I cannot determine is:

Does the rod have to come out of the clutch master cylinder end before attempting to remove the bushing end off the pedal stud? If not, does the electrical safety part need to come off? Any information on replacing this bushing would be helpful.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 AM
ColtM4
Elder User
Not sure if this helps, but I've gone through 3 master/slave assemblies. It is very easy to replace, parts price isn't too bad either. If you wore the bushing out before wearing out a seal, you've done way better than I have. I'm not sure you can even buy that part although I do remember reading a thread a long time ago where someone fabed a part for something near the pedal.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:46 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be best to replace the master /slave ***. Around 150 bucks from Ford, and check your retainer bushing that connects the pedal to the pushrod, this was bad on mine and caused hard shifting in reverse and low, first.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:06 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I believe you can buy just the rod with new bushing from Ford that will snap into the master. I would remove the CPP while doing this just to be on the safe side.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 AM
12ozd
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by cavitation
Does the rod have to come out of the clutch master cylinder end before attempting to remove the bushing end off the pedal stud? If not, does the electrical safety part need to come off? Any information on replacing this bushing would be helpful.

Pop the rod off of the stud,remove bushing,install new bushing in rod end,snap back together on the stud.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
I replaced my clutch slave cylinder about a year ago. It wasn't too much trouble except for getting all of the air out of the system. Now I have a mighty vac and I'm sure that would make things even easier. After finding this web site about a month ago I have been on a rampage trying to find out as much info on the PSD as I can. I happened along this video about changing out the clutch slave cylinder and also fixing the end of the push rod with a Ford part or an after market part. YouTube - powerstrokehelp's Channel

I hope this helps.

TinyWonder

Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Just an FYI

Mr. Powerstroke is very opinionated and alot of times does not have the proper information. Or best way to fix things. Alot of people have had many issues with him.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:08 PM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
Just an FYI

Mr. Powerstroke is very opinionated and alot of times does not have the proper information. Or best way to fix things. Alot of people have had many issues with him.
This statement is true. I suppose that I should have added a disclaimer to my original post. So... here it is.

Use the information supplied at your own risk. This is not an endorsement of any product (s), orginization (s) or individual (s). Use of the information may cause dizyness or dry mouth. Please do not opperate power tools or heavy machinery while using this product.

I found the video's somewhat helpful, really entertaining and downright funny at times. With that said the information supplied in this forum to be opinionated at times and it should also be used with the same caution.

I guess if you're not thinking about what you are doing you should probably not be working on your own vehicle anyhow.

TinyWonder

Old 07-12-2010, 02:01 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Actually Ive never really found the info here to be opinionated... And never had anyone on here lead me wrong or give false info like that guy does...

But to each their own i suppose...

Old 07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
cavitation
Senior User
Thanks guys. I bought two of the plastic bushings at a local Ford dealer for $6.50 each. Now I have an extra handy. I will install it tomorrow morning. Mine has not gotten bad enough yet to fall off but I figure I will grease up a new one and install it before the original one wears out completely and scores up the stud and/or rod.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by 12ozd
Pop the rod off of the stud,remove bushing,install new bushing in rod end,snap back together on the stud.
I just did this two weeks ago myself.
Word for word.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
We need Ed to chime in here. It's been a couple of years, but it seems like buying the new rod with plastic bushing was only around $3 or $4. I wonder if this is one of those things where you can buy 2 parts together cheaper than if you just buy the bushing? I'd have to do a lot of digging to find the part number.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Originally Posted by F350-6
We need Ed to chime in here. It's been a couple of years, but it seems like buying the new rod with plastic bushing was only around $3 or $4. I wonder if this is one of those things where you can buy 2 parts together cheaper than if you just buy the bushing? I'd have to do a lot of digging to find the part number.
I may order another to have on hand.
The master cyl. in that video looks nothing like mine.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 PM
cavitation
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I just did this two weeks ago myself.
Word for word.
Did you find the bushing worn through with any wear on the rod eye or stud? Anything better to use than white lithium grease?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:30 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
No wear on the rod or the eye.
Just a worn out plastic bushing that was making popping noises and then all of a sudden the rod came off of the pedal.
2 minute repair, really.
No grease used, the plastic is the lube.

Quick Reply: ZF 6 speed clutch pedal rod question