1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

3rd member removal...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:32 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd member removal...

Hello yall, well i was working on my parts truck the other day and trying to remove the 3rd member of the rear axle of the truck.

What i'm ultimatly trying to do is swap the 3rd member from the parts truck ( a 9'' rear end with 3.50 gears and L/S), with my 81 pickup that has a 9'' rear end with 2.73 gears.

Anyways as i was trying to remove the 3rd member on the parts truck i remove the driveshaft, and took off the (10?) surrounding nuts on the outside of it. I then figured it should come free? So i tapped around it with a hammer and trying to pry it off a bit and it didnt seem to want to budge. So is there something im missing to get this off?

Also i've read about in these 9'' rear ends that in the older ones there are 28 splines vs the newer with 31 splines and these arent interchangable?? So how do i tell if i will be able to swap them fine? Also do i need to pick up a gasket or any kind of sealant for this when i swap em?

Thanks alot folks!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Did you pull the axles? If not you need to pull the drums and undo the 4 bolts holding the axles bearings to let the axles slide out approx 4-6". Then the 3rd member can come out. When you pull the axles all the way out you will be able to could how many teeth are on the end. that will give you your spine count

Old 07-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,707 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Anyways as i was trying to remove the 3rd member on the parts truck i remove the crankshaft
I think you meant driveshaft.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I think you meant driveshaft.
Whoops, yep thank you.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Did you pull the axles? If not you need to pull the drums and undo the 4 bolts holding the axles bearings to let the axles slide out approx 4-6". Then the 3rd member can come out. When you pull the axles all the way out you will be able to could how many teeth are on the end. that will give you your spine count

No i have not pulled the axles. Whats there to pulling off the rear brake drums? So for installation i'll have to pull the drums off also?

Is there anyway i can tell the spline count before hand so i dont get all the way too getting ready to set in the different third member and find its the wrong spline count?

Thanks alot, very helpful.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,707 Likes on 1,381 Posts
In my experience, most of the 80's truck 9 inch rears were 31 spline. If you run into the spline problem, there are a couple of options open to fix it.

The problem is the carrier piece that holds the ring gear will have too small a center hole for a 31 spline axle to fit, if it's made for a 28 spline axle. You can take it apart a little bit, take the ring gear off, and get a machine shop to make the hole bigger. Or you can take the piece out of your other rear end and swap it in, since it will have the bigger hole, just bolt the 3.50 ring gear onto the 31 spline carrier. I did this on my 80, and had no problems with it, and I didn't get into any complicated gear setting procedures. Then you just put the 31 spline spider gears in from the other rearend and it's good to go.

You will find getting the brake drums busted loose the hardest part, and yes you are going to need to tear down both rearends the same amount.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Thanks alot frank, glad to hear i will be able to fix with what i got just incase it doesnt work out.

So what is there to removing the rear brake drums? I've never tackled this before.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by FordNFishinLover
So what is there to removing the rear brake drums? I've never tackled this before.
Shouldn't that be explained in any $20 repair manual?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:15 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Shouldn't that be explained in any $20 repair manual?

Already looked in my haynes and it only tells how to replace the shoes. Will go back and check again but i didnt see anything when i looked earlier.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
You have to remove the drums to replace the shoes.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:24 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ctubutis
You have to remove the drums to replace the shoes.

opps, yeah just realized this as i was reading that very article. Sorry, and thanks ctu.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
After you remove the drums, behind the axle flange (in amongst/behind the brake parts) is four nuts holding the axle retainer, remove those four nuts then pull on the axle and it'll slide out sometimes, slide hammer if not. (you can put the drums on the lug studs backwards and a couple lug nuts and use the drum as a puller)

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-11-2010, 11:37 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Very helpful tip, thanks alot fetus!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Umm, I'm gonna state the obvious, since no else has pointed it out yet. If your axle shafts were to somehow be the 28 spline, and the donor 3rd member uses 31 spline axles, you've got a set of them already.......... Granted, they will have the larger bolt pattern, but at least they would work.

Also, older 9" 3rd members had copper washers under the retaining nuts, and these tend to deform. If you see copper around the mounting holes, use a screwdriver or chisle to pop the copper washers off. I don't know if/when these stopped being used.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by FordNFishinLover
Thanks alot frank, glad to hear i will be able to fix with what i got just incase it doesnt work out.

Wait a minute! you have never done brakes but you are tackling changing a 3rd member?

Quick Reply: 3rd member removal...