6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Regen Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So not only does urea get injected into the exhaust, but fuel does too! Stupid emissions regulations. I wonder how much extra restriction and loss of performance & mileage these exhaust parts cause!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw my first message at around 400 miles and that seems to be the trend. I could have missed a couple.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Huntingbigun
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got mine at 196 miles so have to see what the next one is.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To give you guys a point of reference, my '08 6.4 regen cycle is like this:

Towing light to medium, cycle every 100-200 miles
Towing heavy (10K and up), every 50-100 miles
Unloaded mixed driving, every 150-300 miles

This is on a stock '08 with no quirks, problems, no history of any engine related issues.
154,000 miles on her, clean exhaust pipes

I was pulling a 12K load for about 600 miles this week. Regen cycle every 50-70 miles on the interstate.

Cowmilker: The emissions stuff on the 6.4 is the first generation of exhaust aftertreatment for ford. The engine makes a lot of power but the cost is at the fuel pump, when we tow anything we typically get 8-10 mpg, unloaded is 12-17. The new 6.7 is a significant new engine where the emissions and exhaust treatment are significantly refined to bring back some economy and still provide good power numbers. Diesel engine designers and service technicians really have had to make huge changes in the last 8 years. The next 8 should be even better. Most all of us do not approve of the EPA and federal mandates that require the emission standards to be so high but in the end, we'll be better off. They just tend to force the issue too quickly and manufacturers have to throw something together too fast, making things over priced and under developed, putting things on the road that are not expected to have durability past 150,000 miles (specifically the DPF filter).

Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
... Most all of us do not approve of the EPA and federal mandates that require the emission standards to be so high but in the end, we'll be better off. They just tend to force the issue too quickly and manufacturers have to throw something together too fast, making things over priced and under developed, ...

well, there are 3 choices, as always..

do nothing
hope that companies will be altruistic and do things on their own
mandate

always seems to come down to that last one.. and companies DO have plenty of time.. our first smack in the face was 1972.. almost 40 yrs ago.. I don't think engineers and designers were stupid back then..

I'm not in favor of mandates, but encourage them when self regulation fails.. and the ensuing 'poor choices' the engineers have to make are no excuse, given the lead times we have had. I've worked in big companies my entire career, and I've seen the decisions made, not without lots of hard work.. so I can't say that no one has tried to make changes at the personal level.

Sam

Old 07-15-2010, 07:16 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,525 Likes on 1,088 Posts
As a 6.4 owner, I agree with what was said above. The regens are an animal but I love my clean pipes.

I can get anywhere from 150-200 miles between regens pulling my 14K 5er.

Empty can be anywhere from 200 to 600 on the open road.

Trick to this whole regen thing is to get it done and over with. Sitting in traffic will kill you and the motor. Low speeds idling while regen will cause fuel in the oil. At least it does for most on the 6.4.

I don't let that happen on mine. I would rather just shut it down, knowing that the next time I go somewhere it will pick it back up so I plan on that.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I am saying is that here in indiana the emissions laws shouldn't be the same as they are in california. Its two totally different situations. I'm opposed to fedral regulations that blanket our entire country with laws designed to fix the problems in only a few hotspots.
You that's they way this country was founded. That's what the civil war was fought over, state's rights, not slavery.
Its the same deal with all issues, such as the healthcare thing. If some state's want a gov't plan, let them. And if the people of that state don't like it, let them move to a state that believes like they do. There are fifty states in this country, why do they all have to live by exactly the same laws?

Edit: The 6.4 may have plenty of power and marginally acceptable fuel mileage, but what would those numbers be without the exhaust after treatment? I suspect better in both departments.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:20 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
learning

1. So, do you have control with the regen such as the ability to manually shut it off if idling or otherwise?

2. Making oil? Isn't that the same as diluting the oil with fuel? How can that be good for the engines? Are the oil changes more frequent to compensate?

Sorry for all the questions.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:35 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,525 Likes on 1,088 Posts
steve, you cannot control the regen at all.

yes making oil is fuel in the oil. never a good thing.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Has anyone found an info center screen that tells how long the regen lasts?. When mine starts the fuel mileage drops a few tenths per mpg. It starts climbing back up in just a few minutes, maybe 5. That would indicate to me anyway that the regen was over.

Regards

Old 07-18-2010, 12:41 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
Has anyone found an info center screen that tells how long the regen lasts?. When mine starts the fuel mileage drops a few tenths per mpg. It starts climbing back up in just a few minutes, maybe 5. That would indicate to me anyway that the regen was over.

Regards
I thought there was a status page that said 'regen' in progress.

| I just went thru all the online 2011 manuals, and only thing I can see is the 'cleaning exhaust filter' message that use to stay on, but now only flashes.
| it doesn't say what messages you can scroll thru..

Sam

Old 07-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Rafiki2cu
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickatic

Regards
The regen is the same for me. I tried to scroll through the info screen while in regen and have found nothing about the cycle in progress.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:32 PM
HawgGuy
New User
Help me out here. This is my first DPF / regen truck. I understand the concept of "making oil", where excess fuel from a regen winds up mixed with the crankcase oil. But, with the vapor point of diesel at 143 deg F, how come the volatile fuel isn't burnt out of the crankcase oil, which hovers around 225 F for me when towing?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I am truly not seeing enough drop in fuel mileage to even worry about it. It takes around five minutes after I see the light flash, the mileage drop of a few tenths and then a mileage climb back up to normal.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:34 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just drove 500 miles this weekend towing a camper trailer and I never saw the regen message. I'm up to around 700 miles on the truck and am waiting to see the regen cycle, I guess I missed it? I don't know. Maybe it will take longer to get one. I always keep the instant fuel mileage screen on the dash.

In my "gauge" menu there are 3 pages, 1 for temps, 2 is something else, 3 is blank. Anybody know what this is?

Quick Reply: Regen Question