PLEASE HELP!! Voltage Regulator Burned Up - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

PLEASE HELP!! Voltage Regulator Burned Up

Old 07-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Freshman User

carprojects is starting off with a positive reputation.
PLEASE HELP!! Voltage Regulator Burned Up

My only mode of transportation is my 63 F100 and the voltage regulator is smoked.( My mustang is down as I'm swapping engines ).

Here's what happened. I just rewired the truck and have charging problems. I used the 64 wiring diagram for alternator hook up. At first I neglected to wire up the 'I' terminal on the new voltage regulator as I was going to bypass the generator light for now. As a result I was running off the battery and after a while it died on me. OK, fine, I then attached the 'I' terminal to the switched 12 V ignition switch (center terminal) and the battery was getting 14V, so it was getting charged. I drove it around yesterday and all was good.

Today, I was driving and it died on me. When I popped the hood, the voltage regulator was smoking and it was hot. While pulled over, I had key in the 'on' position, the voltage regulator got hot again.

Please help, what am I missing??

David.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Postmaster

camperspecial65 has a good reputation on FTE.camperspecial65 has a good reputation on FTE.camperspecial65 has a good reputation on FTE.
Since you mention both generator and alternator...which does your truck have in it now...If Im not mistaken, a generator regulator cant be used on alternator rigs and vice versa...whats the amperage of the alternator...assuming thats what is in there...

- cs65
Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Freshman User

I have an alternator, sorry for confusion. I think I have found the problem. I have an intermittent short with the replacement ignition switch I installed recently. This is why it worked yesterday and then all of the sudden it went bad. I have only driven it a handful of times since redoing all of the wiring.

I disconnected the battery terminals and then measured the resistance across + and ground with the key in the on position (you have to disconnect the feed to the instrument panel as well or else you get fuel gauge resistance, water temp resistance etc.). Then by jiggling the ignition switch, I could get a resistance between + and chassis ground to come and go.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Freshman User

OK, so an update......

The ignition switch is fine. Apparently, when you don't install the generator light, you have to remove the 'S' terminal from the voltage regulator and apply a switched 12V to the S terminal on the voltage regulator from the ignition and remove the 'I' terminal wire. Basically take move the wire from the 'I' terminal to the 'S' terminal and don't hook up the 'STA' connection on the alternator. I also burned my coil, so I am working through that issue (See my other post).

I found this info on a kit car website:

Alternator wiring with and without the dash warning light

Thanks, David