Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Tailgate net? Yes or no....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:11 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Got a welder? I'd reskin the tailgate... perhaps with diamond plate (painted!) or maybe a sectioned skin from a decent bumpside tailgate.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:29 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,708 Likes on 1,318 Posts
The tailgate does add a bit of structural rigidity to the bedsides. Maybe not outwards, but it does with inward forces. The bedside will flex a little then hit the side of the tailgate, which will then transfer the energy over to the other bedside instead of taking all the force with nothing to 'brace' against.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:06 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hasteranger
if you think it adds none whatsoever, go grab a bed side and shake it mercilessly and then drop the tailgate and do it again.

you'll notice a difference!
You're sadly mistaken, if you believe as you do then you obviously have no understanding how the tailgate attaches to the bed, it offers no structual integrity whatsoever (unless in an accident) but that's not what we're refering to here.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:54 PM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
tailgate net

I just put this on on Saturday, don't think it looks too bad, wanted something at least to keep whatever is in the back from sliding out when I accelerate. So till you can find a good tailgate, this might be an option, that's what I'm waiting for is a tailgate, didn't have one when I bought the bed.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll keep to myself on this one, I disagree with a lot of what is going on in here.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:31 PM
vtjvt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwOkcOffRoader
as long as they are installed right, meaning good and tight, they dont look bad....i had one on my 76 and it was looked fine.....and the mythbusters actually proved they DO help with gas mileage a bit...

Mythbusters were testing the tailgate up or down for better fuel mileage, thier test showed that tailgate up got better mileage.
My personal opinion on the nets is I don't like the way they look, But After loosing a spare tire and a set of tire chains on the elk hunt 2 years ago (road was steep and nasty as hell) I can see where they are better than nothing.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:48 PM
DansBBF250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thatsrealnice
I just put this on on Saturday, don't think it looks too bad, wanted something at least to keep whatever is in the back from sliding out when I accelerate. So till you can find a good tailgate, this might be an option, that's what I'm waiting for is a tailgate, didn't have one when I bought the bed.

Thanks for posting a pic! I still have my old tailgate, it's just in really bad shape.. It's missing half of the latch, and it looks like at one point, the tailgate was down and it was hit or something and pushed down.. Well it still "closes" but it's still just ugly looking ... It also had a huge crack in the metal above the tailgate latch that runs up to the top..I'm just looking for a cheap alternitive to replace my old ugly tailgate for now

Old 07-05-2010, 11:02 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
You're sadly mistaken, if you believe as you do then you obviously have no understanding how the tailgate attaches to the bed, it offers no structual integrity whatsoever (unless in an accident) but that's not what we're refering to here.
how could I have no understandnig of how it attaches? I own three of the damn trucks. I'm pretty sure I have it figured out.

If you think it would offer structural integrity in an accident how could you argue it doesn't offer any structural integrity otherwise?

go out to your truck and shake the bedsides with the tailgate up and down.

Hell, go do it on a 1995 F150.

you'll notice a difference.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Dforgy
Elder User
Originally Posted by DansBBF250
... They wouldn't sell tailgate nets if they where unsafe and compromuised the structure of a vehicle...
Whoa, whoa.... "They" will sell anything that "they" can turn a profit on and you're willing to buy. It's called business.

That's like saying they wouldn't sell you McDonald's if it was going to compromise the structure of your love handles.

Just my $.02, your tailgate create's a pocket of air in your bed allowing for more aerodynamics and while it may not be important to most of us guzzlers... I still think it's better for you to make your own educated decision. I like the look of a clean net, but prefer my tailgate as I believe it does infact aid in the structure of your bed sides.

It boil's down to being your choice in the end. So post pics if you decide to put it on.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I wasn't originally going to add to this thread but everyone is entiled to their opinion. If you like the net then good for you and run one.
But here is my opinon. I think the nets themselves look like crap, totally hoosier. I cant even remember the last time I saw one, I think that fad has passed, I used to see them all the time. I think the nets hurt gas mileage compared to a tailgate on and up. And I also think the tailgate up does help support the bed sides. I really dont see how anyone can argue against that last part, it's completely obvious to me.
So if you like hurting gas mileage, looking like a hoosier and compromised bed side strength then go ahead and get a net.
If you can't find a good OE tailgate just by an aftermarket one. They are thin and junk but I'd take it way before a net. I had a new aftermarket tailgate and sold it for $50.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:10 PM
runmountain
Freshman User
Alright, this thread woke me up this morning. I went outside and critically looked at my tailgate. Investigation determined that:

With the tailgate down and bed unloaded, there's no difference in sidewall rigidity. Note that my bed is sound and rust free, so YMMV.

With the tailgate down and bed loaded, there's no lateral bracing in the event a large, unstable load is pressing outwards. I would run a chain/binder combo or at minimum a ratchet strap to span the opening if I were to do so.

With the tailgate up and bed loaded, the sides are braced due to the locking nature of the side latches (bar inside bar with through-bolt). Definitely a plus with a large, unstable load.

I also tried the gas mileage test many moons ago (up vs. down), and with a 300-6, no difference.

So...there you have it.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Dforgy
Elder User
I also tried the gas mileage test many moons ago (up vs. down), and with a 300-6, no difference.

There are too many factors that will affect these results. The best thing I can tell you to do is check out Mythbusters where they used 2 identicle brand new Ford trucks and measured out the gas. Then set the cruise at the same speed and watch what happens.

When you test it like you say you did, you have different drive styles, hard driving, different accelerations, coasting times, idle times, humidity, wind, relying on the pump to measure for you, different pumps, yada yada yada. They did their test at the same time, same speed and so on and so forth.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:01 AM
MikeFox
New User
Hey folks, I do see that the topic is old, yet I was about to grab one of those bully tailgate nets off https://bullyusa.com/cargo-control-accessories.html. And I was wondering what would you say about its quality? How long did it last? Didn't it crack in winter? I am sorry for rising this old topic, yet I really wanted some real feedback on those nets from someone who really used this stuff. Cheers!

Old 11-02-2017, 06:47 AM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had one because it is illegal here to not have a tailgate.

Would I rely on it to hold stuff in? No
Do I like the look? No
Does it hold the bed sides together? No
I had to keep retightening it.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:02 AM
MikeFox
New User
Thank you, Jklnhyd!
I'd like to ask you one more thing. Will it be heavily cracked in winter? 'Cause we have severe winters here.

Quick Reply: Tailgate net? Yes or no....