Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

6.9 has NO POWER have rebuilt the fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:53 PM
trigger221
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.9 has NO POWER have rebuilt the fuel system

Hello im am new to the forms ( of any kind) anyways i just got my first diesel any 86 f250 with a 6.9 i got it off a ranch in north cal with 160,000 on it the drive home was bad 180 miles and could not go over 55mph shortly after i got home the IP went out and i have not stopped working on it since got her running but i cant go over a hill over 35 mph but i can hit 75 on the freeway now (flat) anyways here is what i have done
1 new IP
2 new injectors
3 new air and fuel filter
4 new starter
5 new fuel pump also put in elect pump for easy priming
6 new glow plugs
7 took out water sep.
all of that and the truck still has no power (getting around 12 mpg is this normal) also when i put the IP on i turned it up a little so what i am starting to think is when they put the rebuilt pump on at the ranch they messed up the timing marks which is what i installed the new pump to SO how would i find the org timing for the IP pump on the motor is there a marks on the gears to line them up ? and does the number 1 cylinder have to top dead. also
when the batterys dont have a good top charge the truck wont start and i have to hot jump from a batt to the shut off solenoid on the pump to get it to start. I am 20 and have no money to put her in the shop so ANY ADVICE WILL HELP thanks

Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
welcome to the forum tigger.

if you have performed a compression test and know the engine is still strong,you'll want to check this out now:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...mp-timing.html

as you'll learn there,there's no strong relationship between where the old and the new ip's timing marks may want to be set.
but that may help you get it closer.just be very careful since you won't be using a meter,your going to do it blind.
if possible,it will really would be best to call around for a shop that has the proper meter,and knows how to use it.

also,about the removal of the stock water separator.that's good to remove that on those older trucks as they were prone to leak.however you'll want to add one back to the system.not only can water get into the fuel system from a fill up station,but condensation builds up in our fuel systems due to cool diesel fuel cooling down the ip and injectors and returning to the tanks.
water + ip/injectors = short optimum life of them.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Cruickie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x2 on the water separator.... mine took to leaking (sucking air in and pumping it into the filter) on the highway in the middle of nowhere one day so I bypassed and ripped the PITA thing out of there! I I didn't get around to installing something in it's place for about 6-8 months and that was too long! I was quite shocked by the amount of water that collected.... scary really!

Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTC........

My first question is:
DID YOU REMOVE THE OIL FILLER TIMING COVER WITH THE IP WHEN REPLACING IT>

One way to get you timing alignment is to do the following.......

The timing mark is found on a little plate that is on the front of the engine on the passenger side. The plate is mounted so it is very close to the main pulley on the lower front of the engine which is mounted on the vibration damper. On the side of the vibration damper, is a line, which when lined up with the line marked (O) on the plate, tells you that the #1 piston is at TDC(top dead center) You can see the line on the damper, and it points to the line on the plate with the (barely visible)O mark on it.You'll have to find a way to turn your engine over by hand (Crank/harmonic balancer bolt). Make sure you remove the power wire to the injection pump(so the engine won't start)and then rotate the engine until you can line up the marks.

The engine rotates in a clockwise direction as seen from the front of the truck, and for every 1/4 turn of the engine(crank) each next piston will arrive at TDC. So, When the line on the vibration damper is at the 2 oclock position, cylinders 2 and 5 will be at TDC. When the mark is at the 5 oclock position, cylinders 7 and 6 will be at TDC, 8 oclock has cylinders 3 and 8 at TDC, and back to 11oclock, 1 and 4 will be at TDC.

Cylinder numbers are assigned 1,3,5,7 on the right (passenger USA) bank from front of truck to back, and 2,4,6,8 on the driver's side (USA), front to back. Firing order is 1,2,7,3,4,5,6,8.

OK all the above is true...... to ensure the #1 piston is at TDC compression remove the inspection cover on the oil filler/gear cover. You will see a dowel pin from the IP if it is at 4 oclock that is TDC compression stroke, if it is at 11 oclock that is TDC exhaust stroke.......