General Automotive Discussion

What do you think is going to happen to chrysler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:14 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny how Jeep has been a curse to every company that controlled it, Bantam, Kaiser, AMC, Chrysler (with and without Daimler). But, Jeep will probably survive. Chrysler as we know it cant survive, just as American Motors didnt. What an insult if a Chinese company ends up owning Jeep! I dont think the Swedes are too happy about where Ford sold Volvo.

The Ram may survive, or future CAFE rules will doom it as well. Can Fiat get a diesel certified for 50-state light duty emissions? Hybrid? They need something for the long term.

Jim

Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fepowerguy8

I personally think the integration of computers into vehicles ended the hope of cars ever being reliable and cost effective ever again. Almost like they are letting engineers have to much control, which always leads to over engineering.

Just my 2 cents
While this part of the discussion is a bit OT, I cant let this one go. There is no way, no how, to meet the emissions and fuel economy standards set by governments, not the car companies themselves, without fully integrated powertrain computers, period. As a bonus, they start much easier, both cold and hot, run smoother and last way longer, on average, compared to the "old days". Yes they cost more, but safety standards and most customer's desire for luxury features add a lot more cost than the computers alone, which probably add $0 compared to the nightmare of vacuum devices that covered the engine of my 1974 Econoline.

Jim

Old 06-30-2010, 09:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,553 Likes on 1,107 Posts
I would be great if Jeep could be bought by a group of investors and then become it's own company.

Get rid of all the plastics, bring back the CJ-5 and CJ-7, The old Wagoneer and the Commanchee.

Become a true off-roader.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:25 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
That might work in India, but not the first world anymore. See how many units you can sell without power everything and a 200+ watt sound system. Market is too small for "pure" 4x4 to justify emissions and safety certifications. The Mahindra diesel pickup has become "vaporware" for our market because its just not worth the hassle.

Unfortunately, the closest thing to a basic 4x4 sold in this country is the 4cyl manual trans Tacoma. Even the Wrangler, while still very capable, has gotten "bloated". All I see are 4-door ones. Are they even made in 2-door?

Jim

Old 06-30-2010, 03:04 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,254 Likes on 824 Posts
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
That might work in India, but not the first world anymore. See how many units you can sell without power everything and a 200+ watt sound system. Market is too small for "pure" 4x4 to justify emissions and safety certifications. The Mahindra diesel pickup has become "vaporware" for our market because its just not worth the hassle.

Unfortunately, the closest thing to a basic 4x4 sold in this country is the 4cyl manual trans Tacoma. Even the Wrangler, while still very capable, has gotten "bloated". All I see are 4-door ones. Are they even made in 2-door?

Jim
Does the Taco still come with locking hubs? Ford screwed the pooch on the SD by eliminating the manual six speed.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:02 AM
notyettoday
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see tons of chargers around here, but the only reason I can imagine is because you can put trash can lid sized rims on them with no modification... Chrysler needs to come out with new names, and new designs, instead of soiling the names of the legacy that former mopar created.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Save for the RWD LX platform, Daimler was the beginning of the end for Chrysler. IMO they took what they wanted (aka $$$$) and dumped what was left. Having that said, I am very happy with my 09 Challenger. Problem is that they dont have a desirable small, and mid size cars. The killed off the neon when they needed it most. Was it a great car? No, but it sold, the caliber is a POS. The LX cars are very good cars, and are very well built, but they are pretty big cars, and are not for everyone. The downturn of Jeep is when they started making the liberty, and went to IFS in the grand cherokee. Then with the abortion of a wrangler they started building in 07, they have pretty much alienated the hardcore jeep folks.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
radzer0
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92f150i6... they did up resale value on hard top wrangers that were pre-07 and nicely kept. One of those will run you as much as a brand new with similar options.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:52 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
don't care for the way they've taken jeep down , as i always thought of them as a true off road vehicle , and the grand cherokee of old , the big un's , as a classy people mover capable of pulling me from the rim of hell if i was to get too close . don't like what they have done too the nameplates of old either as mentioned , who would buy a 1969 four door charger ???? that would've been one ugly **** !!!!!!!!!!!!! so why disgrace the nameplate with the ugly pos they call it now ????? sorry guys they are ugly !!!!!!!!!!! the neons are quite popular still for cheap race cars for the dirt track racers in the cheap classes , and i don't like wrong wheel drive but i will say i had a horizon with the old 2.2 i could not kill for a dirt car . thing went two years with a rod knocking and never failed to finish a race in less then 5th . they are killing them selves by as many others are , offering way too many models , selling stuff that's plastic crap on wheels , and they are trying to live off the legends created in the past by their mighty muscle from days gone bye . bye bye chrysler !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't come back till you get it right . now will somebody please get rid of gm ????????? they already destroyed then eliminated my two favorite gm marques . oldsmobile and pontiac , as the old cutlasses , delta's , lemans and firebirds i had that were powered by those companies v-8's were some dain good cars , and something to be proud of even for a gm . then they became chevy clones and died horrible, unthinkable deaths ................. a world without chevy would be so sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:29 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 55 f350
wink now will somebody please get rid of gm ????????? they already destroyed then eliminated my two favorite gm marques . oldsmobile and pontiac , as the old cutlasses , delta's , lemans and firebirds i had that were powered by those companies v-8's were some dain good cars , and something to be proud of even for a gm . then they became chevy clones and died horrible, unthinkable deaths ................. a world without chevy would be so sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parents had a 2.2 Charger, had it for 20 years, still ran and drove good, just rusted to heck. I agree with you on the GM, they killed off the only division that mattered to me, which was Pontiac, even considered a G8 until i saw a Challenger in person.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
give them that the challenger is a sweet looking car !!!!!!!!!!!!!! the only thing they make i'd consider if i was so inclined ........... but i kinda like the mustang just a WEE bit more ..........

Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,254 Likes on 824 Posts
A couple on my route just bought his and her challengers. Top of the line everything and they look fast standing still.

I still love the Mustang.