Sponsored by:

rear sway bar for lifted Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by helirich
I have always been curious if the swaybar is the limiting factor if you have a wheel in the air. I suspect the spring will over power the bar and push the tire to the end of the shock travel or limit strap. I realize it wont go as fast to that point, but your not going fast in that situation anyways. Some day I'm going to try it.

It won't. Like I said, I've seen what having sway bars in place in significant off-camber situations will do... refer back to my last post if you want to know what happens. This is not speculation, I've been on the trail and witnessed it many times. The whole purpose of a sway bar is to keep the body from rolling in a turn. When the weight of the truck is shifted to one side, the sway bar gets down force from the end link attached to the frame on the OUTSIDE of the turn. This causes the same down force across to the suspension on the INSIDE of the turn. This pulls down on the frame on that side of the vehicle effectively reducing body roll. The problem is that in situations creating significant camber differential across the short axis of the vehicle, the sway bar still does the same thing and will keep the suspension from articulating to its full potential. This has absolutely nothing to do with turning. This happens regardless of steering direction. So straight-line travel is adversely affected by the sway bar in these situations as well as turns. Yes, sway bars do their job... but in the situations I'm referring to, they do their job too well. Because when the truck isn't leaning over the sway bars are working. The problem arises when your truck is in a situation that it would be better to have it lean a little and stay on four wheels than have it lose traction or worse, teeter on two catty-corner wheels with the driver having to guess at which way the weight will finally shift the truck.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:53 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"The problem arises when your truck is in a situation that it would be better to have it lean a little and stay on four wheels than have it lose traction or worse, teeter on two catty-corner wheels with the driver having to guess at which way the weight will finally shift the truck. "

Greystreak, I have been in this situation many times.
First, if I am teetering on two wheels, I have never been at a loss for traction. (Lets face it, if you were on mud or snow in that situation, the high contact pressure will be chuckin giant clumps.)
Second, I dont have to guess which way it will go because I dont care. Actually, I have done this many times just for fun. Usally, back stays down and it feels like your climbing to the sky, then all of a sudden the front tilts down.