Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

Mike's Virgin!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
He's painted the frame, inner fender panels, new suspension parts, steering parts etc and can't wait for final assembly!

Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like Mike has been a busy guy! I can't wait to see the pics when she is done and road ready again.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:45 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Well, since my buddy Mike NEVER posts.........I guess it's up to me to give another update.

After honing out the cylinders we found a lot of rust pitting and this block will have to be bored, so we'll save it for a hot rod engine.

One of the Cleveland engines I gave Mike was also a virgin so we honed it out and it will work just fine. I did the finish hone and Mike is painting the inside of the block with Rustolem Red today. Every part needed for this engine is here and I'm taking tomorrow off and to assemble the engine. Hopefully, Mike will have it back together this week!

Mike also told me I didn't have the ***** to post this picture of him on my grandsons "mini-bike".

HE SHOULD KNOW ME BETTER!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:17 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
sorry to hear about the block... sounds like a good reason to do a hotter engine for it later.

Guess that's what he gets for letting you post an update! Can we get video next time lol

Old 09-05-2010, 07:22 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Mike wants me to bore the other block and build a stroker out of it. Should be able to swap engines when we want to play!

Old 09-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Those Clevelands can sure put out some power. My neighbor had one in a 71 Mustang and that thing was a beast!

Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
This is what we're planning: Speed-O-Motive's 408 Cleveland stroker kit - Tech Articles - Mustang Monthly Magazine

******** width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NrsWByDMbMs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NrsWByDMbMs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>*********>

In a 1965 F-100. What a sleeper! Mike and I can change his engines over in an afternoon..............

Two "old farts" with a little money, both retired, hehehe........

Old 09-06-2010, 05:41 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Man that sounds sweet!

Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Quick update. Mike came over yesterday and we started the assembly of his new engine. Installed the new cam bearings and cam. Bedded the crank, and started installing the pistons-rods. Only got 4 installed......The machine shop that reconditioned the rods put 4 of the pistons on backwards! Since the Cleveland uses "pressed in pins" these rods will have to go back and be switched around. Mike was NOT happy..........

He's going to a shop in The Dalles this morning to have them switched. The original shop that did the work is in Portland, and the next time he goes to Portland they will be getting the bill for the screw-up..........

Old 09-12-2010, 09:15 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
It'a done!!! Finally........

Just finished up Mikes engine today. He is on his way home, and now has to install it. He has to wait till the first of the month to have the $$$ for the rest of the tune up parts etc, before we can start it up...........

I also managed to get the 240 power installed in my shop this weekend. Now I can get my air compressor and welder hooked up........

Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
....Sweet!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:15 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Cant wait to see it back in the truck!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Mike called today and said he has the $$$ for the rest of the parts for the engine. He has the engine installed already and I'll be going to his place the first of the week and get the engine running.

He still has to wait till the first of the month to get the new front disc brake parts, and his new power brake booster though.......So he still can't drive it yet!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:25 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Make sure to video that thing running for us!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:16 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
The beast runs!!!

And what a beast it sounds like...... Finally got to start the Cleveland today and it fired right up. Did a quick timing set and ran it at 2,000 rpm for about 2 minutes to break the cam in. Mike forgot to buy new plug wires and we think we have a weak one or two.

Still, it sure sounds nice. I wasn't to sure how this cam would work with a two barrel carb but so far it runs good. The cam I put in was a new SSI cam I had "laying around" that I was going to use on a 400M that I got rid of. It has .510 lift and 286 Deg duration. Just a little to strong for a 2bbl, but we'll see.... Sure has a nice sounding "lope" to it though! He's going to buy new plug wires, cap, and rotor this weekend and I'll go back and tune the dist and carb.

He just has to finish hooking up the new brake lines on the disc brake conversion and it's ready for a road test!

I'll get some video of it next time I go over there.

Quick Reply: Mike's Virgin!!!