Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Still Having Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 PM
1999SuperDutyStroke
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still Having Issues

It's been awhile since i have posted up on here about the wife's truck. I am still having the same "rough Idle" issues. The IPR pressures are fluctuating quite a bitWhen i get press the throttle it feels as though i am not getting enough oil, or fuel. The injectors just don't sound right. And when i let out of the throttle it feels like the truck stumbles. Here's a list of things i have checked and or changed:
ICP checked
IPR checked
Oil checked and changed
Fuel filter checked and changed emptied bowl and cleaned it out
Fuel Bowl O-rings changed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really only have 2 options get this truck fixed, or let the wife trade it for a Wrangler!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you checked the fuel pressure yet? You can adapt a mechanical gauge to the back of the fuel bowl for a quick pressure check at idle. If fuel pressure drops really low, it can cause some messed up ICP readings (assuming ICP sensor and IPR are working properly).

Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Right where I was going Curtis, by the description and taking into account what Ray has said he has already done, it sounds like it's not getting enough fuel.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
What's your schedule like this week, Ray? If we can g2g. I still have Thomas' fuel pressure gauge that we haven't installed. Swing by and we'll check the pressure.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:53 PM
1999SuperDutyStroke
Elder User
Huck,
I am off until friday.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
How is tomorrow afternoon? I can meet ya in town, cause I'd bet that you can't find your way back to Thomas'.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Awesome offer, Huck!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 AM
1999SuperDutyStroke
Elder User
Sounds good to me just give me a yell this afternoon. Thank you

Old 06-25-2010, 04:51 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
We finally got a chance to read his fuel pressure today. It was 60psi at idle and about 57psi in park at 2500rpms. The truck has a definite "miss" in it even at idle. I gave Ray a CPS to try just to eliminate that possibility. Is there anything else that y'all can think of? Maybe a loose UVCH???

Old 06-25-2010, 05:15 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Check the UVCH!

Can you get a AE to do a buzz test on the injectors?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Originally Posted by beanhead6D5
Check the UVCH!

Can you get a AE to do a buzz test on the injectors?
Yeah, I've got AE. Neal already buzz tested and ICP pressure and duty cycle were logged. I don't know if they did rotational velocity or not. What else should we be checking for?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hucka1a
Yeah, I've got AE. Neal already buzz tested and ICP pressure and duty cycle were logged. I don't know if they did rotational velocity or not. What else should we be checking for?
Post the logs. Also do the CCT, and check the change in rotational velocity at idle for each cylinder.

If something pops up on one of those tests, but you have no IDM codes that pinpoint an electrical problem, next step would probably be a compression check.

Usually if the truck has a miss, it's an electrical problem. Sometimes it can be a bad injector, and other times there might be an engine problem. Electrical stuff and engine mechanical problems can be checked by anyone with the proper tools, but physically checking an injector (not electrical related) requires a flow bench.

Have you checked the blowby to see if it's excessive?

At least the fuel pressure was ruled out, so we don't have to worry about that part.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:41 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Pocket
Post the logs. Also do the CCT, and check the change in rotational velocity at idle for each cylinder. Ray will have to do that. Neal did the data logging. I will do CCT as soon as I can catch back up with Ray.

If something pops up on one of those tests, but you have no IDM codes that pinpoint an electrical problem, next step would probably be a compression check. When they did the data logs, the didn't get any IDM codes. Is the harbor freight compression gauge worth fooling with, or should I bite the bullet and get a good one?

Usually if the truck has a miss, it's an electrical problem. Sometimes it can be a bad injector, and other times there might be an engine problem. Electrical stuff and engine mechanical problems can be checked by anyone with the proper tools, but physically checking an injector (not electrical related) requires a flow bench.

Have you checked the blowby to see if it's excessive?No I didn't think to do that.

At least the fuel pressure was ruled out, so we don't have to worry about that part.
I don't know what Ray's schedule is like for next week. We'll get together as soon as we can. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
I've never used a Harbor Freight compression gauge. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:37 PM
1999SuperDutyStroke
Elder User
Sorry Guys, I didnt mean to let this thread fizzle out, I have been extremely stretched for the last 2 weeks with my dad in the hospital.

Huck and i got together and checked the fuel pressure, @idle it was 60psi, @2,000rpms it dropped to 58psi.
I swapped the CPS out from black to gray, JUST IN CASE! No difference was noticed.

I will be checking the UVCH this week. Thank you for all of your help!!!!
What is everyones thoughts on Inj. O-rings, could that possibly be causing this??????