Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Camper in my 83 F150 4x4

Old 06-21-2010, 05:23 PM
WildR100
Freshman User
WildR100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Camper in my 83 F150 4x4

Can my 1983 F150 4x4 w/8ft bed handle an old camper? It has a 300 I6 with a NP435. I do not know how much the camper weighs.

If so, what do I need to do in order to make it safe?

Robert

Old 06-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Redneck1465
Posting Guru
Redneck1465 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It should the person that had my 85 F150 4x2 before me had one in it and it handled fine. It was a 351W though so yours might be a little slower getting up to speed but it should handle it.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:51 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
bashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to all
PRobably more weight than a 150 should carry, helper springs, air shocks... would help but the rear axle might be overloaded. Do you have any pics of the camper? Maybe someone could guesstimate the weight.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Wyowanderer
Elder User
Wyowanderer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Wyowanderer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've had several campers in my '84 with a 6 cylinder for years. It's not fast uphill, but it carries it okay. I've installed Firestone air bags and they're a big help. It sways in the wind, and it's a little tippy, but I've learned to live with it.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
The engine and the tranny are not the problem. It's the soft springs and rear axle rating. They do make slide in campers for f150's, but they stop even with the tailgate, and they are lightweight with not many creature comforts inside. That being said, I have a slide in that is short, but still very heavy. It has a full kitchen and bathroom/shower with a large holding tank, and it taxes my f250.

You can beef up the springs to help it out, but the tires and the axle may not like it.

One of the full featured campers that requires the tailgate be removed(long ones) require a f250 or 350.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Shark Racer
Senior User
Shark Racer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
The engine and the tranny are not the problem. It's the soft springs and rear axle rating. They do make slide in campers for f150's, but they stop even with the tailgate, and they are lightweight with not many creature comforts inside. That being said, I have a slide in that is short, but still very heavy. It has a full kitchen and bathroom/shower with a large holding tank, and it taxes my f250.

You can beef up the springs to help it out, but the tires and the axle may not like it.

One of the full featured campers that requires the tailgate be removed(long ones) require a f250 or 350.
How would one of those work out with an F-250HD? (83 F-250 460/4x4). Have the dana 60 rear. Tires are the regular 2900# deals.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Redneck1465
Posting Guru
Redneck1465 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post

My truck doesnt have any extra springs or anythiing its all stock and it carried one of the full featured campers for about 5 years no problem.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
If you want to carefully put one of these campers on a f150 and run it about a max of about a hour trip, I guess you could do it. I went for a 2000 mile trip, and when I first tested the camper before I left home, it sagged the rearend of my f250 too much. So I installed helper springs to level it back up and stiffen the ride to get rid of some of the sway. But I should have installed a sway bar. Interstates are fine, but when you get on a narrower two lane road that has dips in the pavement near the edge, it really wallows around and you have to fight it a little bit.

And I also found out the tie downs to hold it to the truck really need to go down to the frame. I had pretty beefy brackets that bolted to the stake pockets, and then used turn-buckels to tighten the camper to the truck, but about halfway through the trip I was leaving a parking lot with a dip at the entryway, and it pulled the bracket completely out of the stake pocket.

The camper I have has a queen size bed over the cab of the truck.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 AM
WildR100
Freshman User
The camper is a "Travel Queen" made in Riverside, CA. I cannot find anything on the Internet about them so they must be gone. It has a "full" size bed over the cab and the floor is 10 ft long. It is the normal wood and sheet aluminum construction.

I will end up doing some work on it as the first foot of the floor is rotted out in the back where the door is. The PO left it sitting on the ground for many years. The end wall will also need to be worked on as the bottom is attached to the floor and will have rot. There is NO mold or mildew. The inside is very nice. No leaks in the rest of the thing. The price was right

I redid a popup camper two years ago so I have some experience in removing and rebuilding these things.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Bern_F150_4x4
Elder User
Bern_F150_4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How about some posting some pics? I really like the idea of a slide-in camper but I need one like I need a hole in the head...

Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Wyowanderer
Elder User
Wyowanderer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Wyowanderer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by WildR100 View Post
The camper is a "Travel Queen" made in Riverside, CA. I cannot find anything on the Internet about them so they must be gone. It has a "full" size bed over the cab and the floor is 10 ft long. It is the normal wood and sheet aluminum construction.

I will end up doing some work on it as the first foot of the floor is rotted out in the back where the door is. The PO left it sitting on the ground for many years. The end wall will also need to be worked on as the bottom is attached to the floor and will have rot. There is NO mold or mildew. The inside is very nice. No leaks in the rest of the thing. The price was right

I redid a popup camper two years ago so I have some experience in removing and rebuilding these things.
This thing is too big for a half ton truck. Travel Queens are big, and heavy. I'm not saying it can't be done; I'm saying that it isn't safe.
Frank

Old 06-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Franklin2
Here's a picture of mine. I redid it totally also from a basket case. That might be why it's a little heavier now, I used thin OSB instead of Luan for the interior walls.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Rogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Wyowanderer View Post
This thing is too big for a half ton truck. Travel Queens are big, and heavy. I'm not saying it can't be done; I'm saying that it isn't safe.
Frank
I agree. These things are just too much weight for the rear axle. Even if you beef up the springs, the axle won't hold up long, and you'll have issues with brakes that don't want to stop you very well.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:22 PM
WildR100
Freshman User
Thanks for the advise.
I guess I'm going to either get a bigger truck or smaller camper.
I love the truck so it's going to be a smaller camper. Maybe I'll cut this one up and make one that fits. Bare bones kind of thing.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
bashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to all
I'd sell it and buy a popup or small tag-a-long

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camper in my 83 F150 4x4

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.