6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Question for the techs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question for the techs.

Traded the truck in my signature for a 06 with 44k. I plan in putting a few more miles stock before I tune it. Now my question is. I don't have a oil or coolant temp gauge. Didn't have it on the past truck so I'm going to get a insight. I won't be running a egt probe for it since I kept my gauges from the previous truck. My question is this... I have noticed the engine fan running quite a bit and yes it is hot out but mostly running after slowing down for a turn on the highway. I know on the past truck it was a signal that the oil cooler was going. The truck hasn't puked and so far the coolant is staing in the same spot. I am planning on adding the analog boost, egt and tranny temp gauges as well as a new fuel psi gauge. If I'm not running tunes will I get a bunch of crap from the dealer if I do have a issue? My original plan was to add the appropriate gauges and "feel" the truck out before I any tunes on it. I'm more worried about getting flack for knowing what's up with the truck. I will probably get a a/e when I sell the oil cooler I had bought when I had planned on doing studs on my last truck just to be ahead of the game and possible prevent the taking it to the dealer 5 times to get something fixed like happened on the previoius truck. I'm kept the studs as insurance for a later time. What do you guys think?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
please go to the dealer and get the new flash that has the cooler moniter. its a great addition to the current programing.
so far as dealer's and how they voew stuff, it depens on the day,the dealer and the tech. some places care more then others.

the fan cycling excessivly can still mean the same things. its been over 100 hear I dont really ever hear mine come on.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,456 Likes on 900 Posts
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
Now my question is. I don't have a oil or coolant temp gauge. Didn't have it on the past truck so I'm going to get a insight. I won't be running a egt probe for it since I kept my gauges from the previous truck. My question is this... I have noticed the engine fan running quite a bit and yes it is hot out but mostly running after slowing down for a turn on the highway. ?
After updating your flash to monitor engine oil vs coolant temperatures I would suggest to flush out the coolant system with distilled water, change the thermostat, and add the necessary Ford gold coolant.

Your gauges may tell you more info once installed.

Also I think its' wise to hold off on any power enhancers until your convinced you shook out any bugs that may need warrenty work.

Good luck with the '06

Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
My last truck post oil cooler the fan never came on unless I was pulling a load up a long hill with 1000* range egts. Troy that is exactly my plan. If it isn't working correctly or there is a issue adding tuning only exponentially increases the potential of problems. As for the latest flash I imagine I will get that the next time they hook the truck up. I was kinda thinking it could go either way cheezit. Thanks for the response.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:45 AM
cubalz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheezit,
How can I tell if the dealer close to me is loading the newest flash you are speaking of? Also, what all does the new flash give me: the "good" and the "bad"?

I am planning on taking my truck in to get the tune that was programmed into it taken off and restored back to stock.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:26 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
they dont ever tell us all of what they do. if its been 2 years for you then the a/c operation has changed, the cooling fan, the ect/eot moniter, the trans program, the ficm has had some changes.

havent found bad on this one.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Add I the cycling of the turbo to avoid sticking vanes during prolonged idle

Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 PM
MPTonyT
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cheezit
please go to the dealer and get the new flash that has the cooler moniter. its a great addition to the current programing.
I would not do this as i have seen a substantial decrease in fuel economy as well as others have too. I now have to pay PHP to re-flash my FICM/ECM to get my stock Fuel Mileage back.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MPTonyT
I would not do this as i have seen a substantial decrease in fuel economy as well as others have too. I now have to pay PHP to re-flash my FICM/ECM to get my stock Fuel Mileage back.
I for one have the latest flash and have not seen any drops in power or fuel mileage and it, the flash, has some really plus sides to it. However, bottom line, it's your truck.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:37 PM
cubalz
Junior User
69cj - What are the benefits and drawbacks for the newest flash?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:39 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by MPTonyT
Are you sure that you have the latest flash??? NO ONE has reported any loss of performance or fuel economy that I have heard. What is the date of your last reflash?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:42 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cubalz
69cj - What are the benefits and drawbacks for the newest flash?
I haven't had any negatives. On 05's I know it monitors ect/eot differentials and if to great over a period of time it will throw a wrench light and defuel to protect the motor. It also varies the turbo under certain conditions. There are other things and they vary by what year truck you have For example 03 and 04's don't have the wrench light capability even with the flash. Also if you have the induction flash it varies the inj. induction in stead of doing them all at once to take the strain off your ficm. This alone is a huge benefit.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:44 PM
cubalz
Junior User
It does not sound like it would be worth it to spend $100 to get the flash at my dealer for my 04 F350.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
The 03-04 trucks from what I understand don't have any updated flashed such as has been discussed. Vcxb9 yada yada I think was the latest 03-04 flash. I had it on my previous truck

Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by cubalz
It does not sound like it would be worth it to spend $100 to get the flash at my dealer for my 04 F350.
If you have the inductive heating flash that came out in 07 then it would definitely be worth your time to get it reflashed. $100 flash is better than a $300-800 FICM.

Quick Reply: Question for the techs.