General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Two new Glocks ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow. We have to wait like 3 minutes for them to run the background check on you after you fill out the paperwork if you're not a permit holder.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Wow. We have to wait like 3 minutes for them to run the background check on you after you fill out the paperwork if you're not a permit holder.
Same here, I once bought a Walther PPKs .380 faster than the wife could buy 2 or 3 grocery items across the street from the gun shop.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:42 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Opossum
I'll make a quick case for not liking them, it's really not dislike, they just don't work for me. I carry every day with one chambered, that means alot of handling of a loaded firearm in many places and situations. I simply will not choose to do that without a manual safety. And I personally dislike the trigger.

Other then that there fine guns, though I think a VERY VERY poor choice for an issue LE firearm.
I can't disagree with you on your points. That's why the NY trigger is an option. Keeping in mind the revolvers cops used to carry also didn't have safeties. They just had a heavier trigger pull. Now, with a 5.5 lb trigger pull on the Glock, a good holster is a must if you plan to carry with one in the chamber. A holster that positions your trigger finger out of the trigger guard as you draw like a Fobus. It took me a while to warm up to the Glock for the reasons you stated. I haven't yet warmed up to the idea of an XD Springfield .40 cal that ***** with a stroke of the action and no way to decock it but to fire it or carefully unload it and dry fire it. I don't think I'd ever want that.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
3 days is nothing.

Just endure the same (minimum) 7 Day waiting period, we have here, in Maryland.
That's for any/all handguns, and some rifles and shotguns.
IF the rifle/shotgun are on Maryland's 'restricted roster', you wait. Period.

What's really a 'hoot', is, an AR or "M4" has to be registered like a handgun ('restricted' firearm), but, an AR-HBAR (same basic rifle, but, has a heavy 20" barrel) can be paid for and carried out of the store when you leave.

Go figure!!

Oh!!! And in Maryland, there are no more 'private' face-to-face sales of handguns and 'restricted' rifles/shotguns.
These sales MUST go through an FFL. (And just because you have an FFL, doesn't mean that you can sell/transfer handguns. You also must have a Maryland "Pistol Traders Permit"!)

Don't you feel better, since you don't live here????
I feel some better. There are some who would like to bring that here and more. I wish every election wasn't like trying to pick my favorite Menendez brother.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Nifty little addition if someone felt so inclined...

The Glock Manual Safety

Then from Glock, looks like you can lock your gun entirely. Looks like a good thing if you leave your gun home with others around and don't have a safe. My Beretta is usually in close proximity to my wallet and keys. I don't remember the last time I left it home.

GLOCK

Old 06-21-2010, 07:44 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SDTriton250
Nifty little addition if someone felt so inclined...

The Glock Manual Safety

Then from Glock, looks like you can lock your gun entirely. Looks like a good thing if you leave your gun home with others around and don't have a safe. My Beretta is usually in close proximity to my wallet and keys. I don't remember the last time I left it home.
What a funny link. Or perhaps it's just my twisted point of view. I like how it says.
This ergonomically designed safety works in fashion similar to the Colt 1911 safety, except that it is in the frame. With adequate training, disengaging the safety becomes habit, yet the safety may bring the history of accidental discharges with a GLOCK® to an end.
right after saying

GLOCKs®, originally designed without safeties so law enforcement officers could transition easily from revolvers to semi-autopistols without having to learn how to disengage a safety,
Is it just me or is this website claiming that you, the regular Joe can learn to operate a manual safety with adequate training so that it becomes second nature, yet your professionally trained LEO's are too stupid to master the same task?

I have nothing against the manual safety, just find the website humorous.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Not all cops are firearms aficionados, some barely qualify every year with their weapon. It does seem Glock is kind of demeaning officers general skill level with their wording, most officers are FAR more proficient then Glock would seem to think.
And, how long has it been since any PD/SD personnel carried revolvers?.......the early 80s? One dept. I know of was already carrying 9mm Browning Hi-powers back in the mid 70s.
I think all personnel have become proficient with semi-autos by now!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:25 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
The manual safety add on isn't from Glock. Those demeaning words are from the manufacturer of the safety contraption. I believe Glock is pretty happy with the pistol in it's stock form. If you peruse Glock's website for parts, you won't find a manual safety add on other than the keyed lock and carrying case. In 1980 when the Austrian military drew up the criteria for the replacement of the Walther pistol, Gaston Glock designed the G17 specifically to fit those criteria. A manual safety wasn't on the list. If you're really bored or interested, a Google search will come up with all kinds of info on the origins of the Glock pistol.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen photos of the add-on thumb safety, and read a couple of articles about it.

Eh.... I don't have any need for it. Plus, as soon as you cut into the receiver, you've voided the warranty from Glock.
(Same thing happens when you remove the 'finger bumps' from the receiver. The warranty on the receiver is voided.)

Old 06-22-2010, 08:14 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
We picked 'em up and brought 'em home today! Can't wait to take 'em to the range and put a few rounds through them. I like them but they don't have the quality feel that the Beretta has. They sure are light at 20 oz compared to 34 oz of my Cougar. Time will tell if the weight outweighs the feel. 17 rnds in the mag adds quite a bit of weight back to it. Ours will remain in stock form.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:49 PM
OrangeJuice
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've fired probably 2,000+ rounds through Glock pistols and have seen a jam maybe only once or twice during that time mainly from a bad mag not feeding correctly. I've seen many more jams because the shooter was limp wristing the gun and the gun couldn't operate correctly which can happen with any semi-auto pistol.

OJ

Old 07-02-2010, 07:39 AM
FireBlue
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a glock 34 for a while, while i did competition shooting here in Australia. i loved it

Old 07-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FireBlue
I had a glock 34 for a while, while i did competition shooting here in Australia. i loved it
You can't have it anymore can you? Did they go as far as they did in Britian and cut it in half while you watch?

Old 07-02-2010, 10:24 AM
FireBlue
Senior User
I lost my license because i did not do enough competitions in one year. So i was forced to sell my glock for %10 of its value to a dealer. They then ban you from getting another license for a year i think.

If i wanted one again i would have to join a pistol sporting club which is $600 a year. pay for the license which is about $500 a year, and i wouldn't be able to buy my own gun for 6 months. and then i would have to do a minimum of 10 competitions per year or they would take my license again.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FireBlue
I lost my license because i did not do enough competitions in one year. So i was forced to sell my glock for %10 of its value to a dealer. They then ban you from getting another license for a year i think.

If i wanted one again i would have to join a pistol sporting club which is $600 a year. pay for the license which is about $500 a year, and i wouldn't be able to buy my own gun for 6 months. and then i would have to do a minimum of 10 competitions per year or they would take my license again.
Wow well at least there is one way to at least own one, didn't know that. What would you have to do with it while not competing?

Is it true thay banned swords and machetes also? We've been removing restrictive gun laws here, and making it easier for more people to carry. I wonder who's crime rates are moving up and who's down

Quick Reply: Two new Glocks ordered!