Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

front dually adapters

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:03 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
front dually adapters

WARNING!!! seek post #31 before buying your adapters!

i see there are two front dually adapters (least all iv found is two.do you know of another?) the question is,is either one better than the other?
thanks.it's time to put my training wheels on.

1. Arrowcraft AA-4 Series Front Adapter

ONLY $350/pair
FREE SHIPPING anywhere in Continental US

WheelAdapter.com > Wheel Adapters
(scroll down to last/3rd item on the page)
home page:
Adaptors, Wheels, Duality Fenders and Complete Kits - Arrowcraft :: Helping You Handle the Road for over 30 years!

2. Ameri-T.A.W. Manufacturing Corp

CAF86FHC 1973 thru 1998 for use of Bore centric wheels 8 x 6.5 inch lug center an 4.88” Hub $295.00pr

Chromewheel.com Picture Gallery
(scroll down about 3/4 the page for ford front adapters)

WARNING!!! seek post #31 before buying your adapters!

Last edited by FORDF250HDXLT; 06-23-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: WARNING!!! seek post #31 before buying your adapters!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:04 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
yeah,i figured this wouldn't be common enough.
i went with the arrowcraft aa-4's and pacific dualies bolt on style stainless steel dually simulators.
she should look pretty cool here soon, sporting shiny BUDDS front & rear.

thats the way to go.no frigging with the 4wd dually hub conversion and brake rotors.easy bolt on.
hopefully next week sometime i'll have 'em,get two more tires and remount all over to the budds and be 4x4 dually.

Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was waiting to see if someone would reply to this before I posted, but I guess like you said it ain't a very common conversion. In all honesty both styles of hub extenders look nearly identical to me, but with the free shipping of the Arrowcraft units you were probably looking at similar pricing even if you went with the ones that ChromeWheel sells.

About the chrome wheel covers - you say they are bolt-on, how much bolt-on exactly that is? Cause mine are held in by my the 8 factory lugnuts, both the wheel covers and the hub caps - which actually leaves my lugnuts exposed so they have to be either painted black or replaced with aftermarket chrome ones, if I cared that much for it that is. I currently run black steel wheels with just chrome center caps, I as I have only 2 rear wheel covers - when I find two more then I'll put the wheel covers on too, but for now the rolling wheels get the center caps and the spares get the wheel covers, lol

Old 06-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yours cost you $400 for the adapters, Mine cost me bearings, rotors, pads that had to be replaced anyways and the shipping to ship my SRW's to the swapee.

Shipping has not cost me YET!!
Parts for Napa Premium: $391.99

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA
Cause mine are held in by my the 8 factory lugnuts, both the wheel covers and the hub caps - which actually leaves my lugnuts exposed so they have to be either painted black or replaced with aftermarket chrome ones
Chrome lug nut covers work wonders.

-Enjoy

Old 06-17-2010, 02:32 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
yeah,its a quite costly conversion total.especially those with stock beds.
well i called arrowcraft directly for a price of just over 300$ like 305 i think she said,with a total of $330 or so shipped.

they had simulators there too,but snap on style.i ordered them,then thought for a minute and called to cancel those lol.i knew i wanted a bolt on style so i stuck with that and found these.
i called up,and he said the fronts for the 4wd will cover the hub,just the very end will be open.so theres like a sleeve if you will.
i didnt ask how many lugs they where held in with,if it was all 8 or just 3 or so.i wasn't to concerned as it wont take much.i just didnt want snap on types.
the center cabs he said where good.not just a snap in type,so they cant fall out.they are bolted from behind.

apparently there are many style budds.he had to know just what i had and took the digits off my rims.
so iv got a 93 f250 conversion with 2wd budd rims,and he made sure i will be sent the correct simulators for front/rear.
accuride 28511 BUDD wheels.
he also stated you had to be careful,cus often ford sent them out with 2wd rims and or a mix of front 2wd rims and rear 4wd rims.

oh right.i may need to grab some chrome(hopefully i can find stainless) lug caps or suppin.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:46 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
oh festus you did the dually conversion too cool! i didn't even notice that in sig before.
oh you did the whole front dually hub/brake rotor swap with someone.i almost did that too and figured the cost and hassle of swapping them with rotors (and i would have went with new bearings/seals) just wasn't worth it by the time i payed for shipping.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
I had snap on fake dually fronts until someone else wanted them worse than I ... Bolt on is the only way to go in this honor less society we are living in.

I know where they are and who took them I was in Mass helping a friend of my ol'ladies, we came out and they were gone ... Her neighbor a few houses down has a F350 Dually with chrome caps on the rear but no fronts ... She called the next day to tell us he now has them on the front.

Gotta say he was good, I was only in the house 5 minutes maybe!

They were not in good shape so I said .... it, I was looking for DRW hubs anyways.

[edit] FORDF250HDXLT, I think I got the benefit of your choice ... [/edit]

-Enjoy

Old 06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
Yours cost you $400 for the adapters, Mine cost me bearings, rotors, pads that had to be replaced anyways and the shipping to ship my SRW's to the swapee.
He tried that actually, but found only one person with the bolt-on hub extenders and the deal fell through with him for whatever reason. And he wanted the bolt-on extenders so he don't have to swap brake parts like you, which is no big deal if they need replacement anyways but IIRC his are in decent shape already

Chrome lug nut covers work wonders.
Oh hell no, I so loathe them darn things Besides I've pretty much entirely dechromed my truck, and also my wheel covers are faded some so new shiny lugnuts or lugnut covers would look way outta place on it.

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
apparently there are many style budds.he had to know just what i had and took the digits off my rims.
so iv got a 93 f250 conversion with 2wd budd rims,and he made sure i will be sent the correct simulators for front/rear.
accuride 28511 BUDD wheels.
There are at least three separate factory wheels, all 16x6" in size but the offsets are different - IIRC it was 5", 5-1/4" and 5-1/2", or something like that.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
He tried that actually, but found only one person with the bolt-on hub extenders and the deal fell through with him for whatever reason. And he wanted the bolt-on extenders so he don't have to swap brake parts like you, which is no big deal if they need replacement anyways but IIRC his are in decent shape already
Actually, My rotors are fine now and they still can be turned, I don't waste my time or money, I replace.

Oh hell no, I so loathe them darn things Besides I've pretty much entirely dechromed my truck, and also my wheel covers are faded some so new shiny lugnuts or lugnut covers would look way outta place on it.
I've blacked em out ... I don't like a lot of chrome either, but I do like my chrome wheels and bumpers, chrome wheels have to have chrome nuts.

There are at least three separate factory wheels, all 16x6" in size but the offsets are different - IIRC it was 5", 5-1/4" and 5-1/2", or something like that.
Whaaa, I didn't know this .... now I gotta go see what I've got, ARRRRGGGG!

Thanks a bunch! (Yes it's sarcastic, but friendly)

[/delete]
DRW front Hubs are '91 F350, Rear end???? (Has a VSS) Rear Wheels????

Sure do want this to provide for a single spare! But off set should not affect that.
[/delete]

[edit] The only concern is that I get the correct depth for the '91 F350, so the steering axis point is correct, I can change the rear to match. [/edit]

-Enjoy

Old 06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
I had snap on fake dually fronts until someone else wanted them worse than I ... Bolt on is the only way to go in this honor less society we are living in.

I know where they are and who took them I was in Mass helping a friend of my ol'ladies, we came out and they were gone ... Her neighbor a few houses down has a F350 Dually with chrome caps on the rear but no fronts ... She called the next day to tell us he now has them on the front.

Gotta say he was good, I was only in the house 5 minutes maybe!

They were not in good shape so I said .... it, I was looking for DRW hubs anyways.

[edit] FORDF250HDXLT, I think I got the benefit of your choice ... [/edit]

-Enjoy
oh right,right! oh good.glad to hear you guys could each make it all work out.
so this is a fresh dually conversion too.

i never thought of that reason for the bolt on type.good point!
hey if you ever want to run the bolt on.check these out:
16" / 16.5" SS 2/4WD Dually Wheel Simulators BOLT ON: eBay Motors (item 390202242430 end time Jun-27-10 20:27:36 PDT)

thats were i just called and placed my order.that guy knows exactly what he's doing!(thats when i asked for the brand name on them)
great price too!
he said only 15 sets in stock right now......so now 14.
if you have the 4wd offset budds they cost a little more,and i dont recall him saying he was running short on those one.-those are kinda rare/hard to find.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:25 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend

Whaaa, I didn't know this .... now I gotta go see what I've got, ARRRRGGGG!

Thanks a bunch! (Yes it's sarcastic, but friendly)

DRW front Hubs are '91 F350, Rear end???? (Has a VSS) Rear Wheels????

Sure do want this to provide for a single spare! But off set should not affect that.

-Enjoy
look on the inside of the wheel.on the first lip are numbers.your looking for exactly:
1.5 digits
2.first digit always starts with a 2
call that guy on ebay.he will look them up and tell ya exactly what ya got.

VSS in the rear diff didnt start til '92....pretty sure.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
oh right,right! oh good.glad to hear you guys could each make it all work out.
so this is a fresh dually conversion too.
So far we have, he shipped to me, I still have mine ... All good to me! Naw, I'm only kidding, he'll get mine, he just isn't in as big of hurry as I.

Nope, Done before I got the truck, I've had it a year +.

i never thought of that reason for the bolt on type.good point!
hey if you ever want to run the bolt on.check these out:
16" / 16.5" SS 2/4WD Dually Wheel Simulators BOLT ON: eBay Motors (item 390202242430 end time Jun-27-10 20:27:36 PDT)

thats were i just called and placed my order.that guy knows exactly what he's doing!(thats when i asked for the brand name on them)
great price too!
he said only 15 sets in stock right now......so now 14.
Gee, he still has 15 ... Thats what he had weeks ago when I called him, only we didn't get into it much cause I was looking for TWO snap on fakies, I decided not to waste my $$ for the short period of time because of the planned front hub swap, but the ol'lady was on my case about the ugly unpainted front wheels.

look on the inside of the wheel.on the first lip are numbers.your looking for exactly:
1.5 digits
2.first digit always starts with a 2
call that guy on ebay.he will look them up and tell ya exactly what ya got.

VSS in the rear diff didnt start til '92....pretty sure.
Thank you!

"1.5 digits" ... what did they do cut one number in half??? (Sorry just had to, I understood)

-Enjoy

Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
oh lmao.
let me correct that statement:

a.5 digits
b.first digit always starts with a 2

example (mine)

Old 06-17-2010, 04:20 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Festus, my whole truck is blacked-out, down to the trim around the windshield - I've actually run into the darn thing a few times when I wandered outside at night without turning the flood light on. The only shiny parts now are the hubcaps on the rolling wheels and the wheel covers on the spares. The rolling wheels are trying to rust now tho, so the semi-rusty lugnuts actually match them good, lol.

The wheel offset, I wouldn't worry about it much - as long as your steer wheels have the same offset left and right the truck will drive straight, and that 1/2" (at most) difference between the different styles of wheels is not enough to mess up your steering as far as components wear goes. Really the only reason for the deeper dish that I'm aware of are the larger tires the 4x4 trucks have, factory size for a 2wd dually truck is 215/85-16 while the 4x4 duallies run the wider 235/85-16s - on my truck I have 235s on the 2wd wheels and they sit a bit too close for my liking in the rear, but they do not touch.

The VSS rear came about in '87 due to the RABS, '92 is when the VSS starting serving double-duty for the RABS and the speedo/PCM.

Quick Reply: front dually adapters