Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front axle problem.....

Old 06-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Moto52
Senior User
Moto52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Front axle problem.....

2002 f250 4x4. I have a problem with the drivers side front axle. when I hit any little bumps in the road it makes a terrible loud noise of grinding or something like that. if I grab the nuckle part where the U-joint is It has way to much up and down play in the axle compared to the passenger side. so what holds that axle inside the housing? there isn't a constant grinding just sometimes so thats what makes it so weird to me...

Old 06-14-2010, 08:00 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
jwhitetail is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The needle bearing and the locking hub is all that it is hooked to, it's not really hooked to the needle bearing it just rides there, there is some play in them, some not alot.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:00 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
Bearings hold the axle in place one bearing on the end of the axle tube and one inside the wheel hub.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Moto52
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD View Post
Bearings hold the axle in place one bearing on the end of the axle tube and one inside the wheel hub.
is there a seal somewhere in there? I wonder how the bearing can break on me without it leaking any oil out the axle? also aren't each axle seperate? like when you spin the one side by the knuckle the otherside shouldn't spin? I have manuel hubs and they are not locked and when I spin the one side the other side spins to. and I swear it never use to do that??

Old 06-14-2010, 08:09 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
With Hubs disengaged your axle shouldn't be turning at all on either side?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
There are seals on each end of the "stub shaft" that has the u-joints in the middle. Mine didnt show signs of leakage just way too much play? Then one day while driving I started hearing a squealing almost like brake pads on their squealers and found out my non-servicable hubs had finally worn out.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Moto52
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD View Post
With Hubs disengaged your axle shouldn't be turning at all on either side?

I mean when I turn the nuckle/axle by hand. not when i spin the tire.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Oh ok, then yes thats what it should do.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Might be too late but here's some Preventive Maintenance Info, I use after replacing my hubs for bearing failure. So much for non-servicable!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
jwhitetail is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There's is no bearing at the end of the axle tube were the axle comes out and join's the u joint to the stub shaft.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 PM
rustydailey
Senior User
rustydailey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is Scott still making the adapters? I would really like to have one. If anyone knows let me know.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Moto52
Senior User
Originally Posted by jwhitetail View Post
There's is no bearing at the end of the axle tube were the axle comes out and join's the u joint to the stub shaft.

So what holds the axle inside the axle housing??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.