1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Ignition Switch Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2000, 05:50 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ignition Switch Problem?

Old 01-28-2002, 08:57 AM
pete68
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Switch Problem?

I think I have a bad ignition switch, but before I go replacing it...

Here are the symptoms:
turning the ignition switch to "OFF" and removing the key, you can still play the radio, the warning beeper sounds when the door is opened, and you can't lock/unlock the doors with the keyless entry module...

Also, while driving, the "Low Washer Fluid" light blinks on and off repeatedly and sometimes the rear wiper doesn't work...

Does this sound like the ignition switch (or some other module or something).

Thanks for the input!
Pete

Old 01-28-2002, 07:57 PM
charlesvalentine
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ignition Switch Problem?

>Here are the symptoms:
>turning the ignition switch to "OFF" and removing the key,
>you can still play the radio, the warning beeper sounds when
>the door is opened, and you can't lock/unlock the doors with
>the keyless entry module...

If you turn the key past the off position, its not far, you will be in the Acc on position and what you say is true.
But... the lock cyl. has a thing that looks like a fat screw driver that turns a matched part in the steering column. I guess that it is posible that it got bent or is binding. I would try popping the lock cyl out and looking to see if anything obvious is happening. Then make sure there is grease on the "screw driver looking mechanism" and put it back in. If you have access to a buddies ford you can try swapping lock cyl for a few minutes to see if that fixes the problem.

To get out the lock cyl:

1.) take the plastic off from the bottom of the steering column
2.) insert the key and turn to the run position
3.) press the little dimple located on the bottom of where the lock cyl. is
4.) pull the cyl out

If that doesn't help then, it must be something deeper int he column than I have been. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2002, 12:37 PM
pete68
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Switch Problem?

Thanks! I took the cylinder out in the manner you described (I had noticed the indented ball at the bottom of the cyl and figured it could be depressed to remove, but didn't realize the key had to be in the "on" position). I noticed a white plastic cube attached to a metallic piece that seems to intermittently contact a metallic strip on the cylinder wall (depending on the position of the switch). Anyway, the two metallic strips were deformed in such a way that they made constant contact with each other.

I did some reshaping and replaced the cylinder- to no immediate effect. However, this morning I arrived at work and the radio shut off when I removed the ignition key. Since then I've taken numerous trips and the switch seems to be working perfectly (knock on wood). So, for now at least, problem solved!

Old 02-02-2002, 06:15 AM
charlesvalentine
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ignition Switch Problem?

Righteous!