2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After accident repair problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Icys82GT
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question After accident repair problems...

So almost two months ago now I got in an accident with my truck. I was t-boned pretty much at the front driver side tire. Insurance originally had the damage appraisal at $7000. Once it got to the autobody, local Ford shop, there was more damage found, including a bent frame under the cab. Final guaranteed appraisal was $13900, just shy of the max damage until total loss of $14900. At first they told me they were going to straighten the frame and I wasn't too pleased. In the end they replaced the frame with a frame from another truck that had less then 30k km. Repair was good, can't notice where the work was done even, truck seems to drive the same as before even.

Just got it back last week and little issues I noticed right off the bat were they forgot to transfer over my leveling kit to the new frame, fixed within the week, not the 2" Autosprings kit I had, but similar I suppose. Block heater cord wasn't secured properly and drug down the highway, fixed as well. Engine light came on, due to O2 sensor not plugged in completely, fixed.

So I thought all was well. But now, I am having a couple issues. The first being when I stop at a red light then go to take off again, if I am a little heavy on the foot I hear an initial driveline clunk. Any ideas? My rear axle input pinion seal is leaking, any way this was caused by transferring the parts or is it just wear and tear? My truck also now has a starting issue. Sometimes it will fire then sputter like its going to die and then smooths out. Other times it will crank and crank and crank and then finally fire. Is this the '05 injector issues or is it something from transferring all the pieces?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Icys82GT
Freshman User
No one on this great message board has a little insight for me on my issues?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:08 AM
sammer4u
Mountain Pass
No insight, but I would have fought with my insurance company to junk the truck especially with the frame being bent! All the little gremlins are coming out now from the accident that was never looked at, thought about, or tested!

Might still have a chance with the insurance company to have them get you a new truck?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Unfortunately, this is a common occurance. There was a LOT of damage. Repair shops usually try to do a good job, but they are trying to finish the job at a profit. That means (it's not THEIR car/truck, after all) they are kind of in a rush. Not like a loving restoration of your dad's first car that you and he would do at home situation. You will have to continue to hold the repair shops' feet to the fire, if you want all the little things they missed finished. Most shops have some sort of garantee for their work. You will not likely get anything more (money-wise) from your insurance company, as they paid for the repair already. They might be willing to talk to/help with, the shop fixing all the little stuff they missed/didn't finish.

I know this is frustrating. I have been there more than once. It helps if you are persistant, and try not to be rude. Sometimes I have difficulty with that when I feel I'm getting a run around. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:19 AM
97ExpGuy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reading this thread reminded me of my girlfriend's '02 VW Bug that was hit many years ago while we were in high school. An elder lady who was driving a Cadillac was making a left turn through an intersection and in her age forgot that the green light = yield while the arrow = the right-of-way. She smashed the entire driver's side of the Bug and it looked liked dented-up soda can. The older lady's car suffered a dented fender. The Bug was repaired and, just like you, could not tell a difference.

As the years went by, small gremlins emerged (and still do to this day) such as clunks in the cab, rattling noises, electrical issues, etc. My point is the car will never be the same but at this point we're going to drive the car till the wheels fall it because it's basically worthless knowing its been wrecked.

All you can do is ask and see what can be done to get your truck right.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
jbateman73
New User
I don't know what state you live in, but something that may help is to pursue a diminshed value claim with the insurance company who paid the damages. With the frame being replaced, you could have a sizable DOV claim with them. I think if you would have pursued that before the frame replacement, they would have just totalled the truck. Repairs + rental + diminished value claim should have equaled a total loss.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
sammer4u
Mountain Pass
I agree on the frame replacement, that would have been a red flag to me and I would hope the insurance company. I would never allow my truck to have a frame replacement! Too bad, but I still think you need to discuss this with the insurance company to see what they can do for you on this!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Icys82GT
Freshman User
Thanks for the insight. I am going to be in contact with both the shop and my insurance company and see what can be done for me.