1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

dually 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:26 AM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dually 4x4

well, first let me explain whats going on. my f250 is an auto (still) but i had a run in with some shady work that contractors did on the road outside my house. they put in a new storm drain because of the sink hole that was underneath it. long story short it fell in while i was driving over it at 40 mph and screwed my tranny up hard core. i was gunna switch over to a zf5 in my last thread but people kept screwing me over so i let them (contractors) by me a new tranny and t-case. but i dont want an auto anymore. every one ive had gets screwed up. so i was looking for a f350 5 speed. i like the look of the 05 and up trucks but i just cant bring myself to own a 6.0. i think i would by a duramax before i bought a 6.0. anyway i want 4x4 and dually for towing but they didnt make them in the years i want. i dont like the 98-04 body style at all. ive found one 4x4 97 f350 dually but i cant tell how they did it. is this a arrow conversion kit? im thinking of going that route but with a stick. anyone have an arrow kit?

ok, well i was going to post the craigslist add but its already deleted. just my luck. but here is the truck i was considering doing the conversion to. think its worth the money?

1997 ford f-350 4x4 powerstroke

heres the kits

Adaptors, Wheels, Duality Fenders and Complete Kits - Arrowcraft :: Helping You Handle the Road for over 30 years!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
as long as the trucks been taken care of and everything is solid, I'd say it's worth that. I would offer less though. Maybe $7k or 7500

Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the super duty trucks that still had 7.3's there is a mod you can do to swap the grill for an 05, 6, or 7 grill with the sharp angles and chrome. So you can have a super duty 7.3 that looks like a later model 6.0. Or you could just get that 97 350 that already looks good. I think it is Midwest Dually that converted his to 4x4 and looks sharp plus it's 4x4!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Yea. If i recall correctly, the 4x4 dually's were a dealership option, not a factory option.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
does midwest dually still do conversions on older trucks?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:33 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually Midwest Dually is a handle for a guy on here. But I was wrong, it is Fullcrew7.3 that did it. Had a white 2wd dually and made it 4x4. Check it out in this thread on page 2. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-your-psd.html

Old 06-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Redman is right.. I completed a 2-wheel drive to 4-wheel drive conversion on my dually truck. I used most of the components from a SWB 4x4 and transfered them onto my DRW. Due to using the SWB 4-wheel drive system, there were DRW parts I had to get to match my dually truck.

With converting to a Dually set-up, there isnt a ton of work to do! I would venture away from those kits, as they are a bit pricier then finding the OE parts used yourself, and still doing the work. I had to convert only the front axle of a SWB to work on my dually, and it was very minimal parts needed, and for a VERY small price!

The link by the OP, I found interesting.. Problem being is that there isnt a price listed, just what is included in the kit. With an OBS or even Vintage truck, you dont need alot. Front hubs, rear fenders, and maybe spacers for the rear on a SWB is about all you will need. You can also do some modding to your rear axle mounts if you want a true 1 ton rear axle, but thats something you would have to decide.

If you buy a 4-wheel drive platform, then converting it to dually will take most of the work out of goal already. I think I have maybe $130 invested in switching the SWB front axle to Dual set-up, and thats mostly hubs that was needed.

I love duallys.. so of course I think its worth it! LOL!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:47 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Midwest Dually
Redman is right.. I completed a 2-wheel drive to 4-wheel drive conversion on my dually truck. I used most of the components from a SWB 4x4 and transfered them onto my DRW. Due to using the SWB 4-wheel drive system, there were DRW parts I had to get to match my dually truck.

With converting to a Dually set-up, there isnt a ton of work to do! I would venture away from those kits, as they are a bit pricier then finding the OE parts used yourself, and still doing the work. I had to convert only the front axle of a SWB to work on my dually, and it was very minimal parts needed, and for a VERY small price!

The link by the OP, I found interesting.. Problem being is that there isnt a price listed, just what is included in the kit. With an OBS or even Vintage truck, you dont need alot. Front hubs, rear fenders, and maybe spacers for the rear on a SWB is about all you will need. You can also do some modding to your rear axle mounts if you want a true 1 ton rear axle, but thats something you would have to decide.

If you buy a 4-wheel drive platform, then converting it to dually will take most of the work out of goal already. I think I have maybe $130 invested in switching the SWB front axle to Dual set-up, and thats mostly hubs that was needed.

I love duallys.. so of course I think its worth it! LOL!

thanks for the pm. what hubs do i need to find? where would i find them. do they make 4x4 dually front hubs for 94-97 fords? and i assume a dually rear end will fit in place of the srw? someone was saying frame rails are different between the two

Old 06-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
They do make DRW front hubs from the factory!

These are the hubs I used. I bought them from another member here. They are D-60 DRW front axle hubs. Like you had let me know, your D-60 can use these hubs with no problem. Look online, I found another set here where I am at for $90.00 for both.

FYI: And yes, if you have a D-50, these hubs will work as well.. which is what I put them on.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
on the tbb? that wouldnt hurt it with the change in stance?

Old 06-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
No, it sure didnt. Measurements came up to be that same. The only difference at all, was an extra 2" wider side to side on lug mounting. But because the dual hubs are designed for dual wheels, the center of gravity returns back to the same original design, as the dually wheels are concaved. Everything else as for mounting and position is exactly the same with no changes.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:35 PM
TheTowingCowboy
Posting Guru
Wish I could do a dually conversion to my 250 High Boy, would be neat. This is very informational.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:24 PM
powerstoked!
Senior User
Tell me this guys... you put those hubs on your front axle to bring the mounting face out... then use a concave wheel to bring the tire back to it's original spot... so in effect, you're really not accomplishing anything but bringing your mounting face out further and putting added stress on the front wheel bearings. So why do it? Not trying to be a smart ace, i've always wondered that...

you could use the stock front axle and just put dually wheels on the stock rear with some dually fenders couldn't you? the DRW have the same sterling 10.25 rear with different wheels right? Or is there more to the rear end than just a different set of rims? And as for the front end, wouldn't it be gutting the suspension and converting it to fit a D60 under there? I love DRW's, and would love to have it on my truck, cept I want to convert the front end from a D50 to a D60 first.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
i may just do it to my f250 then since i have a new tranny. can alway upgrade to the d60 in the future if i need to. the duallys had mostly 411 right. if so then all i need a a donor 2wd dually with 4.11's and to go buy those hubs from checker. that way i will have a bed and rear end. im so excited. going to craigslist now!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:39 PM
TheTowingCowboy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by powerstoked!
Tell me this guys... you put those hubs on your front axle to bring the mounting face out... then use a concave wheel to bring the tire back to it's original spot... so in effect, you're really not accomplishing anything but bringing your mounting face out further and putting added stress on the front wheel bearings. So why do it? Not trying to be a smart ace, i've always wondered that...

you could use the stock front axle and just put dually wheels on the stock rear with some dually fenders couldn't you? the DRW have the same sterling 10.25 rear with different wheels right? Or is there more to the rear end than just a different set of rims? And as for the front end, wouldn't it be gutting the suspension and converting it to fit a D60 under there? I love DRW's, and would love to have it on my truck, cept I want to convert the front end from a D50 to a D60 first.
I think the reason is so you can still rotate tires cause the inner daul tire/rim will work up front. Also if I remember right a daullys Sterling sitcks out just a little further so the tire doesnt rub against the springs.

Quick Reply: dually 4x4