1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Exhaust Tip Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Exhaust Tip Question

Hey guys, I finally moved my exhaust to where it routes under my runnin boards and I love the way they look and sound, EXCEPT I need to find some kind of fairly high heat resistant rubber insulator to keep my stainless tips from rattling against my running boards. I notched my runnin boards to let the rectangular tips go up in the boards and have about 5/8" between the top of the stainless tips and the bottom of the painted running boards. But on the outside edge of the boards where the tips show I have about 1/4" gap around the tips and it rattles while its running. I need some kind of insulator that wont transfer heat or melt. I let it run and shot it with my infrared temp reader and if its accurate it was about 120 degrees at the tip which is not too hot, but dont know how hot it would get if stuck in traffic for a long time or whatever?

I was at Homade's house and forgot to get some rubber pieces he had, but I have some olde ones like them (boat trailer rollers) I'm not sure they'd withstand the heat? Anyone on here runnin exhaust similar to this and have some kind of insulators? Thanks for any help at all guys/gals

Old 05-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Hey T, any possibility of a picture?

This is what I did on my last project ...........(I so humbly apologize, and I am embarrassed, that some other manufacturer would have the audacity to build another make of vehicle) ............would mounting a very short hanger and clamp closer to the end of the pipe / tip not hold her tight.

exhaust (600 x 450).jpg

Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made a hard hanger to eliminate the rattle and position the tip within 1/8" of the cutout.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Terry,

OK, I know that you are a picture spazz but I think this will be one of those time that you will need to show us the end result. I'll bet it looks good.

I think I'd try what the others did and make a hard mount close to the tip to keep it from rattling.

Bobby

Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hey thanks Randy, thats what I had in mind, I just didnt know if I could "hard" mount it with no problems? And YES Bobby, it looks GREAT. I'll have to send the pics to Tom to get him to put them on for me? I'm such a techtard. They look really good. I really like them, and am very happy with the end result. I just got to get back to work only a little time left before the PF show and alot left to do.