1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anyone Running Hydroboost Power Brakes?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:53 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Anyone Running Hydroboost Power Brakes?

I'm planning the brake system for my F-2 and I've been trying to decide what to do about the master/booster combo. It's going to be 4WD plus I fully intend to use it like a 3/4 ton truck with trailer duty and the whole 9 yards. With this kind of usage in mind, power brakes will be mandatory. I want to keep the master cylinder under the floor, though, and I just don't think one of the 7 or 8 inch booster kits marketed for the Bonus Built trucks is going to give me the boost that I need. Typically, I've found that the bigger the truck and GVWR, the bigger the booster is. Anything larger than an 8 incher is not going to fit under the floor, though.

I got the opportunity to pick up a working hydroboost unit out of a massive '78 Lincoln today and I'm really starting to think this might be the solution. I know a lot of 3/4 ton and larger trucks use them because vacuum boosters can't generate the necessary boost for the added braking load. It's a much more compact package than a vacuum booster also and will fit under the floor with no trouble. Supposedly, they are THE way to go. The only downside I can see is the extra hydraulic plumbing, but I'm thinking about running hard lines instead of hoses to keep it neat and uncomplicated. Has anybody else tried using one or does anybody have any driving experience in a truck with a hydroboost unit? I only drove the car that this one came out of for a short distance and that's it for me.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
No, but I'll be interested in seeing what folks have to say.

In the mean time let me bump this back up!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:23 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
outside of some straight trucks with four wheel discs and hydro boost no experience on smaller stuff . but if it works as well on the 3/4 ton like on the straight truck well .... i'd go for it . thought about robbing the system off a ih lopro / lpx for my old f350 that never became .......

Old 06-01-2010, 04:50 AM
fordtrucksforever
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are common on some vehicles with space issues. Used in Astrovans and the new Mustangs. Adding the lines is by no means a downside. These are a great alternative and popular swap in the early Broncos.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hydroboost works well. I have it on my 04 GMC pickup, and like it.
One thing to keep in mind is that since the hydroboost operates off of the power steering pump, the pump must have enough flow and pressure capacity to run everything when the engine speed is at idle. I have seen some applications where the pump was marginal in capacity and when the steering wheel was turned all of the way against the stop there was enough fluid demand that part of the brake boost was lost until the steering wheel was turned back to center.

Now, if you really wanted to go trick, you could also get the hydraulically driven wipers from an older Lincoln or T-Bird.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 AM
rbig1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
make sure you wire the back up pump on the booster to the brake light switch and add a warning buzzer and light for safety. if you get low on pressure the electric pump kicks in. like engine dies on hill. ih had the easy one to repair when i worked with these units all parts places had electric pieces in stock

Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am having a electric hydroboost system installed now. we are using an electric power steering pump from a Toyota MR2 to power the system. Pics and a description in about a week.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback. I think I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. It really sounds like it could be the solution to all the little problems I'm trying to solve. This build starts this fall/winter. I'll be sure to document what I come up with. I snagged the original dual return Saginaw pump out of the Lincoln also, so I've got the correct pump for the system. The 351W I'm going to run in the truck came out of a van and the accessory brackets on it are set up for a Saginaw pump already, so it should just bolt together. This booster doesn't have an electric backup pump and neither do most of the others that folks are using in conversions. These Bendix units have an accumulator that holds enough pressure for a couple assisted stops if the engine dies or you lose pump pressure. The electric backup pump must be a newer thing. I'll have to look into it.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:24 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Blue Oval Rage,
I'm installing a hydroboost in my 48 F1 because with the 7.3L Powerstroke there won't be any vacuum. I had Steve at Industrial Chassis in Phoenix install his hydroboost bracket in my frame when I had the truck in his shop last fall. Here is a link to his blog with pictures.

1950 Ford F1 Hydro-Boost Brakes : Industrial Chassis Inc.

He uses the original brake pedal in its stock location, runs a shaft through the frame rail and mounts the hydroboost/master cylinder on the outside of the frame rail. The space between the frame rails gets pretty crowded.

I also had Steve install one of his Dodge Dakota IFS crossmembers and he also straightened the frame and installed a tubular center crossmember.

My truck is out of Steve's shop and back in my garage which is now in Tucson. Progress will continue when we get the new backyard liveable.

Phil