Print Wikipost

Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 01:04 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by wwersal
Thanks! I don't understand why I couldn't get it from my local dealers. I tried two. I very much appreciate your help. I read this forum all the time but this is the first time I've tried using it and what a great experience. Thanks again!
I don't know what to say. I just called the parts department both times. They said pre 2001 may be a problem but they will give it a whack. Both gave the same date so I assume they are right. Trust but verify

Old 07-25-2020, 06:42 AM
Akya2120
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I read through all of the initial information here, and a bunch of comments but gave up reading somewhere around the page seven mark. I have a 96 7.3 and I need to do a coolant flush. My preference would be to run an ELC, probably not surprising. In the next year or so I plan to upgrade/replace my injectors and replace the injector cups. Aside from different injector cups, is there anything else I really should do to switch to an ELC? Or is it to the point where I might as well pull an L99-03 motor and put it in my truck if I want to run ELC? Thank you for any advice!

Old 07-25-2020, 07:04 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,904 Likes on 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by Akya2120
So, I read through all of the initial information here, and a bunch of comments but gave up reading somewhere around the page seven mark. I have a 96 7.3 and I need to do a coolant flush. My preference would be to run an ELC, probably not surprising. In the next year or so I plan to upgrade/replace my injectors and replace the injector cups. Aside from different injector cups, is there anything else I really should do to switch to an ELC? Or is it to the point where I might as well pull an L99-03 motor and put it in my truck if I want to run ELC? Thank you for any advice!
If you change cups/.sealant, you can use ELC in your ‘96.

Old 07-25-2020, 03:27 PM
Akya2120
Junior User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
If you change cups/.sealant, you can use ELC in your ‘96.
Which sealant should be used?

Old 07-25-2020, 03:39 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Akya2120
Which sealant should be used?
Pretty sure this is what you're looking for

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/injec...ning-compound/

Edit: little more info

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...p-sealant.html

Old 08-19-2020, 08:29 PM
blakeusa
Senior User
Nice write up and recommendations for flushing.
Those 1/4 inch plugs were a pain to get out.... took some patience and PB blaster.

Question.
After the hose flush why not use some light compressed air to blow any left over water out of the system?
Like 10-12 psi just like blowing out a sprinkler or pool line for winter.

Old 11-08-2020, 01:14 PM
dzzavid
Senior User
E99 elc to precharge

Hi guys. It’s been a very long time since I have been active on here but I just saved an e99 from the junk yard. Before I realized it was an e99 I did gooch’s flush and put in red elc fleet charge. I had a clamp failure and lost all of my coolant. After reading the possible issues with elc and the e99 I am thinking about switching to a pre charged coolant (fleet charge) since I just lost most of my elc. Also I am going to switch my coolant filter to a sca charged Hastings filter.

should I flush a few time with distilled to get all of the elc out before I switch to a pre charged? I am assuming so, but just wanted to be sure.

thanks in advance!

Old 11-09-2020, 05:44 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
You’ll want to remove the block drains and take the return hose off the water pump. Pour distilled water through heater core to rinse it out.

I don’t think filling system with distilled water again is needed, but it won’t hurt if you do.

If you perviously used the hose to fully FLUSH the cooling system until it was CLEAN, you’re set.

You do not want a pre-charged filter with pre-charged coolant. One or the other.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:54 PM
texasft
Freshman User
Backflush

So you just allow the rest of the coolant and faucet water to run out of the top of the degas bottle and into a large catch pan. Seems like that would be a huge mess.

Old 01-22-2021, 01:06 AM
Squirrel13
Laughing Gas
Received 250 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by texasft
So you just allow the rest of the coolant and faucet water to run out of the top of the degas bottle and into a large catch pan. Seems like that would be a huge mess.
i drained everything including the block drains. Filled with distilled brought to operating temp with heat on high front and rear. Cooled. Drained. Filled with distilled again. Repeated process 2-3 times until drained water is clear. Then add half capacity of ELC concentrate

Old 10-16-2021, 10:21 AM
runningman777
More Turbo
Received 390 Likes on 243 Posts
I have an e99 which I replaced the injector cups using the Loctite 620 sealant. Actually, I replaced them twice because I didn't know about the proper way to torque the injector hold down bolts.

Degas bottle, WP, WP outlet pipe, t-stat and all hoses have been replaced.

I researched the subject fairly thoroughly and purchased 4 gallons of Rotella ELC, 20+ gallons of distilled water and a flush tee.

I'm getting ready to flush and swap to the Rotella ELC and just wanted to see what the latest opinions are on using ELC in an e99 after replacing cups and using Loctite 620.

I realize this thread is 11 years old, so there should be plenty of e99 owners like myself who have done the swap and should have some history as for the compatibility.

Thank you!

Old 10-17-2021, 06:44 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by runningman777
I have an e99 which I replaced the injector cups using the Loctite 620 sealant. Actually, I replaced them twice because I didn't know about the proper way to torque the injector hold down bolts.

Degas bottle, WP, WP outlet pipe, t-stat and all hoses have been replaced.

I researched the subject fairly thoroughly and purchased 4 gallons of Rotella ELC, 20+ gallons of distilled water and a flush tee.

I'm getting ready to flush and swap to the Rotella ELC and just wanted to see what the latest opinions are on using ELC in an e99 after replacing cups and using Loctite 620.

I realize this thread is 11 years old, so there should be plenty of e99 owners like myself who have done the swap and should have some history as for the compatibility.

Thank you!
No problem using ELC in an E99 after changing cups.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-14-2022, 03:02 PM
ferret2
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Somewhere early in this thread Stewart mentioned deionized being better than distilled. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Old 01-14-2022, 07:24 PM
runningman777
More Turbo
Received 390 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by ferret2
Somewhere early in this thread Stewart mentioned deionized being better than distilled. Can anyone elaborate on this?
Deionized water is corrosive to steel.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-18-2022, 07:39 PM
Meliss
New User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Here is what Gooch has to say about using tap water, versus distilled water, in our engines.

The following information was compiled from several posts in a single thread, by Gooch.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even some of the best tap water will contain undesirable minerals, dissolved salts, and acids. Those components, like calcium, iron, magnesium, carbonates, hydroxides, nitrates, and so on, not only reduce the life of the coolant, but they reduce its ability to protect the cooling system. Those of us experienced with cooling systems know that tap water undoubtedly leads to exacerbated cooling system failures.

Since tap water is not pH neutral, it changes the desired alkalinity of the coolant formulation when mixed with the coolant. Distilled water, although not always completely mineral-free, is generally more neutral than reverse osmosis and purified water.

By using proper cooling system maintenance, you won't need to worry about having your radiator rodded or replaced.

You could flush with tap water, as long as your tap water was exceptional. Otherwise it is best to make your final flush(es) with distilled water. Always fill with distilled water.

It doesn't matter what conditions you operate your vehicle under. Coolant with distilled water will always protect your cooling system better and longer than tap water.

Using tap water for coolant maintenance...is second-rate maintenance. That is not opinion, but a well-known fact.

Where coolants are concerned, the facts are the facts. Using tap water will have consequences down the road...reduced protection, reduced coolant life, increased maintenance, and premature repair. Using tap water is sloppy, second-rate work.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stewart
Originally Posted by ferret2
He mentioned RO water here, but says distilled is still preferable.

Quick Reply: Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information