6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Eric's Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:51 PM
caere
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eric's Tunes

I usually run the Extreme Race tune from Eric at Innovative. It is awesome power from a stop, but when already moving it bogs down first then kicks in a few seconds later (with tons of black smoke). I realize it is a tune for drag racing. Now I have been running Eric's Extreme street tune. THe shifts are softer and easier on daily driving and the power is good, but the EGT are much higher than the Extreme Race. I thought the only difference between the two was that the Extreme Race locked up the convert all the time? But my EGT in Extreme Race never get more than 1250-1300. In the extreme street they can easily go up to 1450 quickly, to which I quickly ease off lol

I haven't noticed an significant difference in fuel mileage just wondering what the differences are. Having the converter locked up can't be the reason for the higher temps?

I haven't tried any quarter mile runs, but I can do 0-60 in about 5.98s, loaded with about 2000 lbs of tools (work truck). In fact, I raced a really nice and fast looking Mustang GT and smoked him. Hmmm , guess he wasn't fast enough lol I just can't believe how this huge rig can take off like a rocket. Only problem is sorting out the tools in the tool box after

One last question. Sometimes in Extreme Street the tranny will sort of slip if it's hot outside and I am pushing hard on it. THe extreme race never does. I have a Lvl 3 Suncoast tranny and a lvl 5 torque converter and have had them in for about a year. I'm also running synthetic tranny fluid with filter. Any reason that extreme street may slip? It only has done it twice in the past month. What is the proper way to re-learn the tranny after changing the tune?

Thanks for your feedback ahead of time.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have yet to try a tune that makes my trans shift completly right. I find that in stop and go mine does not like to upshift/downshift correctly.
I was running a tune from soemone else and that one made my trans slip when cold.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same symptoms here. I cant stand the xtreme race on the street, the TCC lockup is horrible and the shifts are not healthy for everyday use, but it works great for what its designed for....flat out haulin a**

I dont care for the trans shifting with the xtreme street, but its not too bad. Im goin to order the "trio" pack from Matt at gearhead automotive performance tomorrow which is a SRL+ which is pretty much the equivilent to the x-race, then a 8K tow tune, and the unlimited tow which is factory tuning with just some trans programming. All 3 tunes for $100 so its worth a shot. Plus these are all based off the vxcf9 strategy.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:37 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
I also agree with cheezit, I am going to try to get a stock vxcf9 tune with just the EGR functions disabled. I love the power from the tunes but have yet to find one that has drivability or trans shifting as seemless as stock.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
funny rhing about these trucks, they just run so well in stock form. its hard to beat.
My oter issue is Im very picky, I dont know if it has anything to do with what I know about the product or just me.

Let me know how they work out would you.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious,
Has any one tried DP-Tuner's tunes for the 6.0. I hear a lot of the 7.3 folks using them.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:53 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cheezit
funny rhing about these trucks, they just run so well in stock form. its hard to beat.
My oter issue is Im very picky, I dont know if it has anything to do with what I know about the product or just me.

Let me know how they work out would you.

Ditto. I will report back about the new tunes, hopefully will get time to play with them this weekend.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
I'm sure the reason for the EGT difference is that Eric will command a higher level of boost on XRace, than XStreet. I don't really watch my gauges, except when I'm towing.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:45 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
I guess it's all about personal comfort/preference on the tranny shifting. I prefer the crisp firm shifts of the xrace, but I do have them adjusted. I guess I've driven it for so long that I fit it's style. Does the 6R140 have the same bolt pattern as the 5R110?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:00 AM
ehgeeray
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I guess it's all about personal comfort/preference on the tranny shifting. I prefer the crisp firm shifts of the xrace, but I do have them adjusted. I guess I've driven it for so long that I fit it's style. Does the 6R140 have the same bolt pattern as the 5R110?
Unfortunately it will not fit.... The bolt pattern is different I just read an article about it in the magazine Diesel Power "June 2010 - Pg26"

Old 05-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I am happy wih the tuning from Eric. I run the street tune all the time unless I tow real heavy. I towed my uncles boat about 60 miles it weighs in right around 5400 lbs and there were 4 adults and my dog in the truck the A/C was on all the way and I didnt see over 1000*

I had some pretty steep grades as well, I have only used the extreme street a few times as I am not studded so I dont play with that one.

As far as tranny issues, no slippage here. I have adjusted my settings a few so that its just a little firmer than the generic download. I also sont have the VCX9 calibration so I dont know if that makes a difference. I wouldnt think so.

Sarge

Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by ehgeeray
Unfortunately it will not fit.... The bolt pattern is different I just read an article about it in the magazine Diesel Power "June 2010 - Pg26"
Curses.......that's one bad mamo jamo

Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sarge261
I am happy wih the tuning from Eric. I run the street tune all the time unless I tow real heavy. I towed my uncles boat about 60 miles it weighs in right around 5400 lbs and there were 4 adults and my dog in the truck the A/C was on all the way and I didnt see over 1000*

I had some pretty steep grades as well, I have only used the extreme street a few times as I am not studded so I dont play with that one.

As far as tranny issues, no slippage here. I have adjusted my settings a few so that its just a little firmer than the generic download. I also sont have the VCX9 calibration so I dont know if that makes a difference. I wouldnt think so.

Sarge

Yeah overall I am happy with erics tunes. I just have not found a tune yet from anyone that satisfies me as far as trans shifting.

After playing around with the X-race tune, I would have SERIOUS worries with daily driving on this tune due to trans shifting and TCC. Its bad to the bone, and puts a grin from ear to ear, but I wouldn't think that the trans would be long lived daily driving on the street.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 AM
mh34444
Senior User
I have Eric's tunes as well. The towing tunes are great when used in conjunction with Tow/Haul mode. I'm not too thrilled with the street tune as the shift points aren't ideal. If I'm not towing I run his Economy tune. It has a nice smooth take off and the shift points are slightly better than stock. If I'm towing a small load I'll switch back to the trucks stock tune.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:56 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by 06silvercrew
..... but I wouldn't think that the trans would be long lived daily driving on the street.
Because of??? (Inquiring minds like mine want to know)

Quick Reply: Eric's Tunes