Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 11:14 AM
rmilchman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak

I have a 2002 with 14000 miles on it that just developed an oil leak. The dealer is saying the cause is too much oil (last changed at 10000). He then went on about depending on the temperature it varies how much you should put in, and that you can not totally rely on the dip stick. I’ve been changing my own oil in gas engines for 15 years and never had a problem, this is my first diesel. Does what the dealer is saying make sense?

Old 02-03-2003, 11:26 AM
argve
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil leak

I think that he is pulling your leg.

What I would is take your owners manual and associated folder in to him. Lay it out in front of him and ask him to show you this in the paper work issued by FORD. What him squirm.
Yes you can over fill these or any engine with too much oil. The procedure that I use is I fill with a quart or so less than what the book calls for then run the truck for a few minutes to warm the oil a bit, shut her down, then wait for about 1 beer, then stab the oil. I do this so that the oil will have a chance to drain down to the pan so that maybe I get a better reading. Then top off if needed. During normal checks, I stab it before I start the truck for the day, this way I know that every thing has drained to the pan.

I don't know if my procedure is correct but to me it makes sense.

Me thinks he's making excuses.

Old 02-03-2003, 12:11 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil leak

I went through a pretty good oil leak fiasco myself. Check out these two threads below. There is some good information in there. I would check the things listed in there first. Especially the HPP.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...threadid=22637

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...threadid=22651

If all else fails, escalate it to a manager and let them know how displeased you are. I called the GM of the dealer and he cracked some heads over it.

Hope this helps and you get your rig running right again.

basstardo

Old 02-03-2003, 03:57 PM
HTRDDSL
Junior User
Oil leak

where is your oil leak located at that would help

Old 02-03-2003, 04:49 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
Oil leak

Picked up my truck, and the service writer said come out side. He opened the hood and pointed to my airbox, said you know that voids your warrenty. Then he checked the oil, and said you see it's to hi. It was at the top of the hash marks, he sadi a cold engine should in the center and a warm engine at top.

Is he trying to pull a fast one on me?

Old 02-03-2003, 06:11 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Oil leak

Originally posted by rmilchman
Picked up my truck, and the service writer said come out side. He opened the hood and pointed to my airbox, said you know that voids your warrenty. Then he checked the oil, and said you see it's to hi. It was at the top of the hash marks, he sadi a cold engine should in the center and a warm engine at top.

Is he trying to pull a fast one on me?
Seems to me he's pulling your leg about the oil. It should be at the top when cold. When the engine's warm it will actually be lower because some of the oil will be up in the engine from having been run. What kind of air filter are you running? I've heard of warranties being challenged because of a K&N filter being used.

Old 02-03-2003, 07:05 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
Oil leak

It's a no name brand, that replaces the box and then has a big K&N cone at the end of it. If you want send me your email address and I'll send you a picture.

Just read the paperwork the machanic filled out, said he tightened "oil deader gasket". Then he followed that up with an installed aftermarket air filter, if turbo damage occurs warrenty is voided. Then said the truck appears to have been chipped, once again this could void the warrenty. I have a micro-tuner and removed the program befor bringing the truck in. I wonder how he found out.

Rich

Old 02-03-2003, 08:14 PM
HTRDDSL
Junior User
Oil leak

You might want to read this if they are going to mess with you on your warranty

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

This is an act that was passed though Congress in 1975 to help people like us from getting screwed

Old 02-03-2003, 11:31 PM
rckrwlr
Senior User
Oil leak

Dude,

Call ford skip the local dealer. call the corporate office. they will make things right. I had a problem with North county ford in san diego the dealer told me "rust makes metal stronger" if it wasn't for my wife and son next to me I might of hit the idot. the store manager called me the next day and I had the undercarage painted in a week. the corperat office don't like upset customers.

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O.Box 6248
Dearborn, Michigan 48126
1-800-392-3673(FORD)
TDD for the hearing impaired:1-800-232-5952 Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd.
Customer Relationship Center
P.O.Box 2000
Oakville, Ontario L6J 5E4
1-800-565-3673(FORD) Ford Motor Company
Worldwide Direct Market Operations
1555 Fairlane Drive
Allen Park, Michigan 48101 U.S.A
Telephone: (313) 594-4857
Fax: (313) 390-0804

Old 02-03-2003, 11:47 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil leak

Rust makes metal stronger!?!? Whooo boy! Maybe we should hook that guy up with Monsta's sis

basstardp

Old 02-05-2003, 11:38 AM
rmilchman
Elder User
Oil leak

It’s been two days and no oil leak. What is the deader gasket?