Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Which car alarm to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:06 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which car alarm to buy.

Looking for some ideals on what car alarm I should buy for my truck and my wifes car.

This morning when I was going for my bike ride, I notice the drivers door on my wifes car cracked open. I found her GPS and CDs where stolen. They where kept in the center consle out of sight.

This is the 3rd time now, twice for my truck and once for hers.

Our vehicles our parked in are driveway right beside the house, with two mercury vapor light shining down on them. installed the last time they where broken it to.

The one time she doesn't lock her car, some POS helps himself.

I tried to do a search for alarms with out any luck

Thanks for any advise on which car alarms I should buy.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
What exactly are you trying to prevent? May sound like a stupid question, but you can get things like Jimmy Jammers for the door locks, but while they may prevent someone from popping the lock, they might do several hundred or more dollars in damage while failing to break in, then if they get too frustrated, the windows are always easily broken.

Some alarms have proximity alarms where you can leave the windows down, but as soon as someone reaches inside, the alarm sounds. Some also issue warnings if you get within so many feet of the vehicle. They also have alarms that will notify you by pager if the vehicle is broken into.

For anti-theft, you could do something like VANDAL ALERT Theft Avoidance Module
or Ravelco, who claims to never have had a car stolen with their system, or lojack that can track a stolen vehicle.

Of course you might also want to consider putting up a good video camera that covers your driveway. They are pretty reasonable now and can be tied in to a computer to record video. Just be sure to get one good enough that you can actually provide some useful info to the police if there is another break in.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello Mark. I've had this alarm and remote start and had it professionally installed because they offered a lifetime 100% warranty. Auto and Truck alarms and remote car starters for Chester County and Wilmington Delaware I also have a home video security system with 4 nite vision cameras installed at various points. We had some seroius breakins about 2 years ago, mostly unlocked homes, cars and sheds but then brazen confrontations with homeoners by thiefs were starting. This is a system simmular to mine but I only needed 4 cameras. Take a look http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0326092 , theres some smaller complete systems that will get the job done, the cameras don't lie..

Last edited by big poppa; 05-23-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Brazen
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 PM
jcrammell
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I highly recommend "RAVELCO" it saved my truck from being stolen only two hours after I had it installed. Just a week after I had bought the truck. Check them out. It won't prevent them from getting in but the only way that truck is moving is if they tow it.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:04 AM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
I have a viper alarm in mine, cant remember which model, but it is the 2 way paging alarm, and am completely satisfied with it. If i put the sensitivity all the way up wind blowing through the rear cracked windows of my extended cab will set it off. Its loud, obnoxious, and calls a lot of attention to the vehicle when it goes off, the part i like best is that when the alarm goes off, so does a really obnoxious beeping from the key fob thing, so even if you cant hear your car (well insulated house, windows closed, asleep) you will be made aware by the remote on your keys.

While it may not prevent someone from getting into my truck, it sure as hell will make them think twice about continuing to take what they came to steal. Also it has a really bright blinking LED that can be seen from the street clearly flashing in the cab, in my opinion this is one of the major benefits to having an alarm, it simply makes it clear that you have an alarm and it is more of a PITA than finding a car without one

Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM
lucaslaw
Senior User
I used to run Cliffords, not sure if they're still around but never had a problem. Now I run a motion sensor camera light that will wake me up if someone is in the driveway with a 125lb German Shepherd and a Wilson combat 9 as a backup, if that doesn't work they're always my trusty Desert Eagle 50, or any number of my home-tricked riot guns. I have that 8 camera system mentioned earlier on my house, bought at auction from a closed store Its James Bond cool.

LL

Yeah, I HATE thieves

Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
I have heard good feedback about the new Viper alarms on the market as well.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think we load the truck up with a bunch of stuff that anyone can see through the window.. and wait accross the street for them to come again...

when were done.. we'll go fishing..

Old 05-24-2010, 02:50 PM
jtbutler
New User
Viper 5901 is the alarm/ remote starter I am going with know a few pople with them and it is a good system

Old 05-24-2010, 03:14 PM
mjlewis
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have an old Viper 350HV along with jimmi jammers and i'm happy. i've had my locks punched out and doors ripped apart too many times. i'm satisfied with the viper and the jimmi jammers are a cheap deterrent.

thanks.

Last edited by mjlewis; 05-24-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: g
Old 05-24-2010, 04:43 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by just another truck
I think we'll wait accross the street for them to come again...

Yep, then use them for bait or a sinker

Old 05-24-2010, 04:50 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Thanks for all the great advice guys.. Here's what I'm going to do

I have a appointment tomorrow for the car alarms to be install.

Going tonight and look at a 2 camera security system at Costco, my brother has one and is real happy with it.

Just order a set of jimmi jammers from Clay.

Dusted off my Glock 40.

What really sucks about it is, the GPS that got stolen has all of the grave sites location at several different grave yards that my wife needed. She take her 93 year old grandmother to Kentucy to put flowers on all graves and granny can't remembers where they all are anymore.
She lefted this morning for a week.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:01 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by just another truck
I think we load the truck up with a bunch of stuff that anyone can see through the window.. and wait accross the street for them to come again...

Funny you say that Pat.

I told my buddy that is a Deputy sheriff that I was going to do that and he told me not to, because he didn't what to arrest me for murder.