1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best method for the 2005-07 front end conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:22 PM
bigblue61
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best method for the 2005-07 front end conversion

I was wondering what methods everyone has tried for the newer front end. I have seen a complete kit but that costs over 1500 but I have also heard that a 2005 header panel will bolt right to the older model trucks is there any truth to this? I would rather spend extra money then have to cut into the truck and was just wondering what everyones opinions were.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:56 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, I believe the header panels are indeed interchangable. This will allow the 2005 lower grill tabs to mount into the header panel correctly. Past that you will need the bumper in order to prevent cutting the grill. Make sure to take pics and do a write up when you get it done!

Old 05-22-2010, 12:52 PM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Well although I love the 05 and up front end look, I didnt care for the front bumper vice my 2004 KR one. I wanted to keep my bumper but get the grill and headlights. I did look at the replacement of the header panels but that looks alot more extensive than just modding the headlight area (removing alot of other stuff). So with the pre-cut grill on ebay and the lights, I used 2 dremel cutting blades and transformed my truck into what I wanted. I am very happy with the outcome and have done it to 3 different trucks. Takes a couple hours and you have a new truck!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:04 PM
bigblue61
Senior User
okay thanks guys your opinions help...scott how difficut and how exact are the cuts I also dont have a dremel and I'm concerned il mess it up some how. Is there any info as to if the 2005 header panel will fit with the 2004 bumper?

Old 05-22-2010, 09:42 PM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Well you can get a dremel with all the wheels you need at harbor freight for around 15 or so. If you follow the directions that come with the headlights then it should work out fine for you. Now you cut the small amounts and check fitament. That way you never cut too much. I did the first one within around an hour and the second one in about 20 mins.
http://www.puredieselpower.com/Tech/...Conversion.pdf

Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 PM
bigblue61
Senior User
thank you so much that really helps...i guess im going to go that route il post some pics when im done

Old 07-08-2010, 12:47 AM
Dave E.
New User
Brand new member here . . . I just ordered (and have started receiving) all the parts to do a full 2005 front end conversion on my 99 F250 SD. Grille, bumper, upper pad, lower valence, header panel and (old style) lights. I should have everything except the lights by this weekend. Through careful searching through Ebay, I got all the above new, for around 500 bucks including shipping - most of which was free. So I'll take a few before, during and after pics and post 'em so you can see how it went.

Dave E.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome score Dave! Welcome to the forum!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gathering parts for a complete 05-07 front end update. I purchased the 05 header panel locally for $85 bucks. Currently waiting on my headlight pigtails with Relays (better voltage w/relays) for brighter lights and painting the upper valence to match truck. The most expensive piece is the front bumper and all the pieces. I scored finding a complete front bumper/brackets and all for $150 bucks. You can see it in my album. I'll take more pictures of the other parts and pieces tonight.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Bossman7121
Senior User
yeah Dave ! Welcome as well, and pics will make you a LOT of friends here quick ! Can;t wait to see this one come together.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Dave E.
New User
Here's mine . . .

Well, after a long weekend, here's my (almost) finished conversion. I've got just a little over $600 into it and for the facelift my truck received, I'm real happy with it.

Some of the Ebay parts are excellent quality, some not so good. For example - the chrome bumper seems a little light. There were a few very light scratches on the surface but the Ebay vendor was very good and made it right with me. I think the old saying 'you get what you pay for' is true in this case. But again - it looks pretty darn good IMO.

As for the upper bumper pad - I see a lot of these left in the flat black they came with. I had our local NAPA mix my correct color and put it in a spray can for me. Although not super professional, for the $20.00 I paid for the paint, I'm happy with the way it turned out. If you do the spray can way, you'll want a can of adhesion promoter and good primer too. And a few days to let it cure!!!

As you can see in these pics, I didin't have the bulbs in my lights yet, but that has since been completed. A big thanks to Dfuser for getting my lights going (great customer service too btw!).

So if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm happy to help anybody I can going through a similar project. Now let me see if I have figured out how to post these pics . . .

Old 07-22-2010, 01:22 PM
snoracerx
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Dave E.
Well, after a long weekend, here's my (almost) finished conversion. I've got just a little over $600 into it and for the facelift my truck received, I'm real happy with it.

Some of the Ebay parts are excellent quality, some not so good. For example - the chrome bumper seems a little light. There were a few very light scratches on the surface but the Ebay vendor was very good and made it right with me. I think the old saying 'you get what you pay for' is true in this case. But again - it looks pretty darn good IMO.

As for the upper bumper pad - I see a lot of these left in the flat black they came with. I had our local NAPA mix my correct color and put it in a spray can for me. Although not super professional, for the $20.00 I paid for the paint, I'm happy with the way it turned out. If you do the spray can way, you'll want a can of adhesion promoter and good primer too. And a few days to let it cure!!!

As you can see in these pics, I didin't have the bulbs in my lights yet, but that has since been completed. A big thanks to Dfuser for getting my lights going (great customer service too btw!).

So if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm happy to help anybody I can going through a similar project. Now let me see if I have figured out how to post these pics . . .

looks way better great job

Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
I agree that it looks better, but only because you painted the XL front end blue. If it had been left black, the original would look better. I really don't see the preference for the 05 front end. I prefer the 99-01 front with the all amber corner and signal. Also the 99-04 grill looks better and the emblem won't wash off. My opinion.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM
bigblue61
Senior User
looks awesome man congrats....i dont know if you have driven at night yet but are the 05+ headlights any brighter?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Dave E.
New User
Thanks for the feedback and compliments!

The new lights are quite a bit brighter over the sealed beams it did have. I really contemplated going with the heavy duty relay harness Dfuser offers, but went with the simpler 9007-9008 pigtails because I just don't drive that much at night.

Still, much brighter than what I had!

- Dave E.

Quick Reply: Best method for the 2005-07 front end conversion