Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 PM
bsm2003
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions.

This is not intended to be a flame fest just curious

I have a few questions for you folks.

1 Why are alot of people here having to change the steering gear box?
What is your setup.
A Stock
B Lifted and oversize tires
C any other combo

2 Why change or add a sway bar to the rear?

3 Does a steering stabilizer really make much of a difference?

I'm all stock and just replaced the shocks for the first time after 155K
Only add-on I have is Air bags for the rear to smash the front down when towing heavy loads.
02 X 2WD V10 XLT 265/75-R16 E tires
My steering is just as tight as the day I drove it off the lot.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the steering becomes loose, there's an adjustment bolt you can hit. Or you can change the box. Haven't heard much of this.

Bone stock, with oversized tires.

I really love that picture...

Sway bar was stock on my diesel.

post your questions, you'll get answers. they may not be right or good, but they'll be answers.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bsm2003
My steering is just as tight as the day I drove it off the lot.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
BSM you are driving a 2WD truck that has a totally different setup in the front from the 4WD trucks.

I havent done a thing to my steering box. I can tell you that if you start modding you've got to finish it and make a system that functions with a manner of precision. The Ford engineers were not idiots, they just had a limited amunt of time, money, and options to work with.

If you remain stock there is some civility in the vehicle. If you add bigger wheels and tires...the troubles begin, even with your 2wd truck.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:59 PM
bsm2003
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Peace2Peep
BSM you are driving a 2WD truck that has a totally different setup in the front from the 4WD trucks.

I havent done a thing to my steering box. I can tell you that if you start modding you've got to finish it and make a system that functions with a manner of precision. The Ford engineers were not idiots, they just had a limited amunt of time, money, and options to work with.

If you remain stock there is some civility in the vehicle. If you add bigger wheels and tires...the troubles begin, even with your 2wd truck.

I understand that. The main reasoning behind these questions i guess would be why people get a vehicle that cost an arm, both legs, 1 eye and 5 fingers then spend the rest of their body parts to add on alot of stuff just for the look of it.
I guess I'm one of those people that just thinks the vehicle is just fine the way it was and no need to tinker.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I understand that. The main reasoning behind these questions i guess would be why people get a vehicle that cost an arm, both legs, 1 eye and 5 fingers then spend the rest of their body parts to add on alot of stuff just for the look of it.
I guess I'm one of those people that just thinks the vehicle is just fine the way it was and no need to tinker.
Why? because it's fun? Suits needs? Do you not have a hobby of some sort? Does it cost money? Does it not always make logical sense?

Mine is stock, I just wanted bigger tires to fill the wheel wells better. 305/70-16 fit and look better.

If you were towing a 11k TT, maybe your v10 would seem a little under-powered. You might chip it, exhaust, intake, and so on. The reasons exist.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

OK! So you wanna pick a fight? Get ready brother...this is a site full of modders and enthusiasts. What do you expect?

But lets think about it for a minute:

My truck used: $35,000

My springs $200

My track bar $175

Shocks $350

Ford Sway $120

Dual Steering Stabilizer $90

Installation of all the above $600*

*Many of us do install these things ourselves!

So do you have the rear entertainment package on your truck? Thats more than what many of us spent on our suspension upgrades! We are TWEAKERS! We want the ultimate in performance from our rigs and we are doing it for ourselves!

My truck wasnt fine as the day I drove it off the lot...the shocks were dead at 60K miles(I bought it wih 30K) and I have never been offroad. Rear sway bar is amazing.

I think you need to meet up with some of us and drive in our trucks before you judge this one bro...ignorance makes arguments, experience makes wisdom.

I guess the difference between me and you is I can afford to do it?

Last edited by Peace2Peep; 05-20-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: more knowledge...boy am I witty, not!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:00 PM
bsm2003
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JaySVX
Why? because it's fun? Suits needs? Do you not have a hobby of some sort? Does it cost money? Does it not always make logical sense?

Mine is stock, I just wanted bigger tires to fill the wheel wells better. 305/70-16 fit and look better.

If you were towing a 11k TT, maybe your v10 would seem a little under-powered. You might chip it, exhaust, intake, and so on. The reasons exist.

I did for 21/2 years tow a Wildwood Travel Trailer T-37BHSS 11.5K GVWR I never had any problems towing it and the V10 never seemed underpowered.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:04 PM
bsm2003
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Peace2Peep
OK! So you wanna pick a fight? Get ready brother...this is a site full of modders and enthusiasts. What do you expect?

But lets think about it for a minute:

My truck used: $35,000

My springs $200

My track bar $175

Shocks $350

Ford Sway $120

Dual Steering Stabilizer $90

Installation of all the above $600*

*Many of us do install these things ourselves!

So do you have the rear entertainment package on your truck? Thats more than what many of us spent on our suspension upgrades! We are TWEAKERS! We want the ultimate in performance from our rigs and we are doing it for ourselves!

My truck wasnt fine as the day I drove it off the lot...the shocks were dead at 60K miles(I bought it wih 30K) and I have never been offroad. Rear sway bar is amazing.

I think you need to meet up with some of us and drive in our trucks before you judge this one bro...ignorance makes arguments, experience makes wisdom.

I guess the difference between me and you is I can afford to do it?
I was not intending to pick a fight.

I could afford to do all that but i choose to keep all my vehicles I've ever had stock. IMO a vehicle that has been altered from the original design by the engineers is less valuable.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:01 AM
SAR Skipper
Junior User
I was not intending to pick a fight.

I could afford to do all that but i choose to keep all my vehicles I've ever had stock. IMO a vehicle that has been altered from the original design by the engineers is less valuable.
And there's your answer right there

It's an opinion. A personal opinion at that, that every vehicle owner makes.

My wife feels the same way you do. A vehicle is point to point transportation and has to meet "certain" requirements. And they are jsut fine as the "factory engineers" designed them.

On the other hand, other than my current DD (a little Toyota Scion XD-just out of factory warranty and still under an ESP), ALL of my previous vehicles have been modified. Starting with my 1963 Impala way back in the day, through my Super Bee, Camaro's (multiple), Corvette, and several 4WD trucks including my present FJ62 Landcruiser

I like my vehicles to fit "my" personality, not some engineer in a cubicle. Besides, you have to remember that the engineers design vehicles to be used over a wide range of uses and users. They're designed to meet "general" standards.

Modification re-engineers them for more specific uses and users

When i'm fortunate enough to find and afford the "X" that I want, it too will be modified....to fit MY tastes, budget and needs