6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Coolant Filtration System on a 2005 6.0 in the Augusta, GA area

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 AM
adambmoodie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Filtration System on a 2005 6.0 in the Augusta, GA area

Hey all,
I do lots of research on here and am amazed by how much all you guys know about the 6.0. I don't post much because I don't feel like I have anything to add!

My warranty just ended on my 2005 Superduty and i'm about to move across the country (GA to CA) and want to do what I can to ensure my truck doesn't break down on me. I moved from AZ to GA in 2008 and I was stuck in TX for 11 days because my heads lifted. I want to prevent this situation this time!

I'm calling around to what i thought were reputable places in my area and none of them have heard of a coolant filtration system. Should I be worried? Even the Ford dealer who has a pretty large Diesel workshop didn't seem to know what one was. He wanted me to show him the kit before telling me he could install it or not. Again, should I be worried?

Or does anyone know of any shops that are knowledgeable on the 6.0 in the Augusta, GA area?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Adam

This is my truck:
2005 FX4 Supercrew, 6.0L Superduty, Gibson Turbo-Back Exhaust, 60,000 miles.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Go to dieselsite.com. Kit takes maybe an hour to install if you've never done one. Order the shut off ball valves. Saves coolant when changing filters.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have not done so recently, clean the EGR system thoroughly and Italian tuneup it a bit.

I would also recommend a complete system reset, test batteries, alternator.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What were you doing that "lifted the heads"? It is important to the life of your engine that you know what caused the head gasket issue and what was also replaced during the repair. Did you get a new egr cooler and/or oil cooler when they did the head gaskets? You are on the right track with the coolant filter and 69cj gave you a great place to buy one. It truly takes an hour or less if you have not done one before. If you order the kit with 3 filters and the ball valves it will be around $165. I would be very leery of any dealership that has no knowledge of what a coolant filter is. I would also recommend getting some engine monitoring equipment for the truck. An Edge Insight Engine Monitor and a good fuel pressure gauge is a very popular combo here. My edge Insight and the ISSPRO EV2 FP gauge was around $600. Both are easy to install. You can save a $100 or so if you use a GloShift FP gauge. Good Luck on your big move

Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 AM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
what---ever...

Last edited by MoyockPowerstroke; 05-18-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: because the op was too dumb to read the links...lol
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
adambmoodie
New User
Thanks all for the quick responses!

@69cj - I haven't ordered one yet, but was looking at the Dieselsite one, but had also seen the Dfuser one (very similar price). Any preference between the two?

@gearloose1 - I will definitely clean the EGR.

@rickatic - I was loaded with stuff in my bed, towing vehicle (Ford Escape on a vehicle trailer) during summer, through the mountains in and around AZ and I was using a canned tune (on the SCT X3). I was also using cruise control which I beleive was probably silly as it was always shifting and getting the RPM's up high and getting the turbo spun up. I really beleive that this was entirely my fault due to my inexperience with a diesel and my lack of knowledge with tuners (I had played around with them on my previous F150 - but they are way different on a diesel).

They did definitely replace the oil cooler when they fixed it last time. I'm not sure about the EGR cooler - i'll have to check. I know I should get gauges - just not sure if my wife will go for spending all that dough.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:15 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Both suppliers are used but it seems that the Dieselsite is more popular.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense. The canned tunes are NOT the way to go. Custom tunes work well

The gauges are really a "pay me now or pay me later" scenario. The upfront cost will be a drop in the bucket if you lose another oil cooler or you have a fuel pressure problem. The fuel injection system, particularly the injectors, are intolerant of low or high fuel pressure. Too low, you ruin the injector due to not enough fuel. Too high, you blow the o rings on the injector and overfuel with unmetered diesel. This can cause a lot of big problems including a possible hydr-lock. Most here, including myself, have no financial incentive in recommending any products. We do have the real life bruises to show how we got our education. Show her the posts and she will probably understand

Good Luck

Regards

Last edited by rickatic; 05-18-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: more stuff
Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
adambmoodie
New User
Rickatic - I think i'm going to go with the Dieselsite one then. I'm going to have a buddy of mine (who is good with engines) help me do it.

As for the gauges, from all the research I've been doing, it really does seem that you're right, it's "pay me now or pay me later". Perhaps i'll see if i can swing it.

I'd also really like to delete the EGR entirely, but i think i'm going to hold off on it until i'm not living in CA anymore (18 months).

Thanks again for all the tips and help, you've been VERY helpful.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My advice would be that if you cant afford cutom TOW tunes now then remove the tuner before you tow, especially if you dont have guages. IMO the guages should come before any mod, but thats just me. I too learned the hard way, and thats why I just bought a DashDaq after my oil/egr cooler replacement. My truck is still under warranty so I have to live with the EGR system for now.

Good luck and happy trucking, and you will be able to install that collant filter yourself, its easy and the diesel site instructions are fantastic.

Sarge

Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 PM
adambmoodie
New User
Sarge261 - Don't worry, i've definitely learned from my 'canned' tune experience. I messed around with Spartan's tune files a little when they were all posted online - I really enjoyed some of them, especially the ASE - I can't beleive our trucks can feel like a sports car. I have been driving around stock for quite a while now.

Everyone says I can install the coolant filter myself - you're probably right. I just hope i'm not over-esimating my mechanical skills.

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
The kit comes with great instructions (pictures and everything). If it looks too challenging any mechanic will install it for not much money.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:57 PM
adambmoodie
New User
Campingtom - how do you like your Sinister diesel egr delete kit? Do you notice a difference performance wise? How about mpg?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:34 AM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
I like the kit. No gains. My EGTs are lower but that's probably because I straight piped it at the same time.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:00 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Unless you are experiencing a loss in performance due to a faulty or clogged egr valve, you will not see an improvement in performance after a delete.