1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Hesitation under light acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:47 PM
0gers
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's about what I paid. My ones came from Hong Kong if I remember correctly. Those should arrive a lot quicker since they're already in the US.

You might also want to check the PCV valves and hoses before you spend the cash. The PCV hose can perish or fall off easily without you noticing, basically any of the hoses going into the throttle body could leak or fall off making it run a little lean. You might have bumped somethign off when changing the plugs.

I'd recommend doing the fuel injectors at the same time. With the fuel rails out its a lot easier to remove the COP's... and you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Sabrejet
New User
AS of yesterday, I now have the same problem! 2000 Expedition. I suspected plugs and have been told that replacing plugs could cost thousands as they won't come out (old) and the head has to be removed to drill them out! My hesitation problem (missing) started in one day and has gotten worse. Next step? I do not work on my engine but have rebuilt engines (aircraft: much, much simpler).
I do not want to go to the dealer and have everything replaced, like Manuel did.
Suggestions?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:45 PM
0gers
Freshman User
Sabrajet

I suggest you investigate the cheap easy fixes first like a like a loose vacuum hose and checking the fuel pressure. Changing the COP (or the spark plugs for that matter) is not an easy job.

The modern spark plug is designed for 10's of thousands of miles, so I very much doubt they are causing a mis-fire. The COP (Coil on plug) sits on top of the spark plug and these seem to be a comon problem after 100,000 miles.

Whoever told you that the head has to be drilled to remove the spark plugs it talking @#$*. What are they going to drill anyway?? and how does removing the head help them drill it? If they're your mechanic I suggest you find another one. In the WORST case scenario you could force the spark plug out and fix the hole using a helicoil - The head stays in the truck.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:14 PM
RedHorse1
Senior User
yuppers, what 0gers says. check for vacuum leaks in the PCV circuit. There've been loads of cases of that causing a rough idle (including mine).

Old 05-25-2010, 05:22 PM
jschoolf
Junior User
Sabrejet - Start cheap/simple, I agree. But that said, the plugs, COPS and injectors are not that hard. Just take your time, stay patient and ignore the scraped knuckles. I had both plugs and injectors done in about 3 hours. Do a search, there are a few good threads here that are a great primer to getting going on the plugs/COPs/injectors.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:14 PM
manuel transmission
Junior User
I've already changed the plugs, so teh COP's won't take me long.

I've looked around the engine and there doesn't seem to be anything out of order as far as PCV.

Sucky thing is, my wife just started working full time so I don't know when I'm going to drop it off to the dealer.

So it's try the COP's from Ebay, or wait to drop it off. Grrrr

Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 PM
manuel transmission
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sabrejet
AS of yesterday, I now have the same problem! 2000 Expedition. I suspected plugs and have been told that replacing plugs could cost thousands as they won't come out (old) and the head has to be removed to drill them out! My hesitation problem (missing) started in one day and has gotten worse. Next step? I do not work on my engine but have rebuilt engines (aircraft: much, much simpler).
I do not want to go to the dealer and have everything replaced, like Manuel did.
Suggestions?

I didn't go to the dealer dude. I changed plugs and everything except COP's by myself.

It wasn't hard at all. Just takes time.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:03 PM
RedHorse1
Senior User
on my 03 there's a vac line that runs behind the intake (waaaay back there) to the pass side and, as I recall, under the batt tray.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:49 PM
TexFinn
Senior User
Originally Posted by manuel transmission
So it's try the COP's from Ebay, or wait to drop it off. Grrrr
Since you've already done the plugs, you know how easy it is to change the COP's, so just buy them and throw them on in a flash.

Please keep in mind, though, that you get what you pay for, and the Chinese made COP's might not last very long, or some of them might even be defective straight out of the box.

When I had a 2000 EB a few years back, I bought a set of Ford COP's from Ebay for around 200 bucks, or so. Not sure if the seller is still there. Can't remember the name.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 PM
alloro
Received 4,198 Likes on 2,433 Posts
Originally Posted by TexFinn
Please keep in mind, though, that you get what you pay for, and the Chinese made COPs might not last very long, or some of them might even be defective straight out of the box.

When I had a 2000 EB a few years back, I bought a set of Ford COPs from eBay for around 200 bucks, or so.
The set of 8 goes for about $80 now. I bought a set of 8 and installed them about 20K miles ago and haven't had a single problem with them. Around here they're $70 each in the auto stores. That's about $480 a set more than the eBay ones. I can buy a few spare COPs with that money and still be ahead of the game.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:48 AM
davisenvy
Senior User
I just went through this. It was an ignition coil (COP). The problem started off just like yours, but got worse with time and threw a code. Don't cheap out and buy Fleabay parts. Ask the dealer what they charge to diagnose, then how much to diagnose and repair.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:05 PM
jschoolf
Junior User
Just replaced all COPs about 45 minutes ago (took about 1 - 1.5 hours) and the truck runs like new again.

So now I have:

- new fuel filter (not the fix but was needed)
- new plugs (not the fix but was needed)
- new injectors (not the fix but was needed)
- new cops (this was the fix!)

Not relevant but needed so I replaced: new serpentine belt, oil change

I feel like I am driving a new vehicle!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:56 PM
bucktaylor
Junior User
Replaced COPS (bought off Ebay)
New MotorCraft plugs
Replaced 2 Vac lines
Cleaned inside of throttle body

Happy to say the shudder/chugging is gone and the 170K Expy is running good again!

Had to buy some fuel injector o-rings from Autozone...lost one when I pulled the fuel rail, off the top of the injector...

Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 PM
manuel transmission
Junior User
Just an update. I bought the COP's off of fleabay, and they are sitting in a box in front of me. I'm going to replace them this weekend.

I would do it when my wife gets home at 6 because I don't feel it would take that long, but I was looking, the jackass who owned it before me broke the head off of the bolt that hold one of the COP's in place. Its a front one, so it's not to hard to get to, but there isn't much stick above the surface. I'm going to see if I can get some vice grips on it and remove it that way.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:37 PM
totalrecall
Senior User
I know you probably already have the COPS changed, I just went through the same thing, well I had the chugging like trans issues with just a little hesitation from time to time. Bought the COPS on Ebay - this batch was BWD parts and had the dealer do the plugs. Solved the issues. I had 78,000 miles. COPS or Plugs, I don't know which, but it really solved the problem and with a 4.6 I need all to be running well anyway.

Good luck

Mike

Quick Reply: Hesitation under light acceleration