Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Fuel

Old 02-02-2003, 10:50 AM
Starratt04
Senior User
Starratt04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

hey does anyone know which gas stations have the best diesel fuel? ive heard that if you get good fuel your milage is better. i live in florida and go to the gate station just cause its close i guess the diesel fuel there is good?

Old 02-02-2003, 03:47 PM
FYRDOC
Freshman User
FYRDOC is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

I can't say much for which company's have better fuel...especially since your way down in the Sunshine State but look for a place that sells alot of diesel.. Helps prevent from getting stale fuel....I'm sure some of the guru's around here can give you a more technical description of why that is a good idea.....

Old 02-03-2003, 12:28 PM
argve
Senior User
argve is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

I go to the local truck stops, for the reason stated above. Here in Indiana it's normally a few cents cheaper. Plus every now and then the girl behind the counter forgets to charge me tax This is normally when I fill the big tank in the bed.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:33 PM
Jens
Elder User
Jens is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

Hi,

the quality of diesel depends of the cetane value. Ask your gas Station for there fuel cetane value.

If nessesery check yout dynamic timing.

Note: since diesel engines are very sensitive to slight changes in timing it is recommend to take your truck to a service department.

Hope that helps

Jens

Last edited by alanscott; 02-05-2003 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:52 PM
bricot
Elder User
bricot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

Asking about the cetane rating is a great idea, however, every station I have asked around here comes back with the same answer.....'whats that??? I don't know.. '

Old 02-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Diesel Fuel

No fuel station around here knows what cetane is, so asking is fruitless. When I buy fuel, I always go to a truck stop, where they pump a lot of fuel. That way I'm assured of avoiding stale fuel. There are a number of truck stops around me, and I've found that the Flying J has consistently better fuel than the other truck stops in the area. I don't know if it's because they "winterize" the fuel less, or what, but it's worth the extra drive to get the right stuff. The truck runs better, and I getter better mpg. After all, it's going to take 700 miles to burn it up if it's bad.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:42 PM
Redjackt88
Freshman User
Redjackt88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

Hear it my $.02. there are only a few pipe lines in the country. EVery company shares these few pipelines to move their fuel from one part of the country to the other. it all gets mixed together. I am sure they keep gas, diesel and kerosene separate but Exxon's diesel is mixed with texaco's diesel. I heard of this on the history channel a couple months ago i wish i had paid more attention. Maybe someone else saw it and can add onto what i have said.

Old 02-04-2003, 09:24 PM
psd tech
Senior User
psd tech is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

Diesel fuel is measured by its cetane rating. The factory says that it should be 40 minimum. There are ways to measure it in the field, Rotunda(tm) offers a tester, however it can only be purchased through a Ford dealer. If you have a close relationship with your local dealer go in and ask the parts or service manager. I will try to update with the P/N tomarrow. The tester basicly tests the specific gravity of the fuel. The higher the cetane, the more heat/ power is in the fuel. Hope that helps. I am new to this forum. I hope I can offer some insight to those of you who need it. Have a great day.

Old 02-05-2003, 08:59 AM
psd tech
Senior User
psd tech is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

The Rotunda p/n is 014-00988, but their label is over the original source of Kent-Moore p/n J38641B . You should be able to find a source to purchase this tool.

Old 02-05-2003, 10:16 AM
bricot
Elder User
bricot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

Quad,

How much difference did your reverse shackle kit make? How was the install?

Old 02-05-2003, 05:38 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru
alanscott is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

Originally posted by Quadzilla
There are a number of truck stops around me, and I've found that the Flying J has consistently better fuel than the other truck stops in the area. I don't know if it's because they "winterize" the fuel less, or what, but it's worth the extra drive to get the right stuff. The truck runs better, and I getter better mpg. After all, it's going to take 700 miles to burn it up if it's bad.

I haven't unloaded in a Flying J for about 5 years, so take this for what it's worth.

They don't blend the #2 with #1 like a lot of other stations do, so your getting straight #2. What they do instead, is add an additive to it that drops the pour point and raises the cetane levels, in my opinion, the best way to treat winter fuel.

Old 02-05-2003, 05:43 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru
alanscott is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

Originally posted by Redjackt88
Hear it my $.02. there are only a few pipe lines in the country. EVery company shares these few pipelines to move their fuel from one part of the country to the other. it all gets mixed together. I am sure they keep gas, diesel and kerosene separate but Exxon's diesel is mixed with texaco's diesel. I heard of this on the history channel a couple months ago i wish i had paid more attention. Maybe someone else saw it and can add onto what i have said.

I explained all this once in a post, but dang if I can find it. The History Channel failed to mention how the exchange system works. I'll try to find it, all else fails, I guess I could retype it all.

Old 02-06-2003, 06:54 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Diesel Fuel

From what I remember hearing, the oil companies dump a certain number of gallons of fuel in at one end, and then they're free to tap that much out at the other end. It's at that point that additives are added to make Texaco, Flying J, etc., have their own characteristics. What alanscott said about Flying J and their additives makes sense. I recently took a trip that took me in the opposite direction from my favorite Flying J, and I filled one of my tanks at a Shell truck stop along the way. I ran on that fuel first during the trip, and noticed how weak the truck seemed, and how lousy the mpg was. Once I remembered that I was running the Shell fuel, I switched tanks, and within a few miles, the truck was her old self again. Another wrinkle to this puzzle, is some Flying J's are company owned, like the one where I like the fuel, and some are not. There's one of those on the way to the truck stop with the good fuel, and the fuel isn't the same, and is about $.06 more per gallon.
Someone asked about the reverse shackle kit. It raised the front of the truck 3", and improved the ride immensely. I highly recommend it if you want to level the truck, and improve the ride. The install took about 4 hours, and I had someone else do it.

Old 02-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Thumper4995
Senior User
Thumper4995 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

Originally posted by alanscott
I haven't unloaded in a Flying J for about 5 years, so take this for what it's worth.

They don't blend the #2 with #1 like a lot of other stations do, so your getting straight #2. What they do instead, is add an additive to it that drops the pour point and raises the cetane levels, in my opinion, the best way to treat winter fuel.
What is the difference between #1 and #2 (is one dyed for farm use?). I live in Idaho and I have never seen two different options.

Old 02-16-2003, 01:43 AM
FordRancher
Senior User
FordRancher is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Fuel

Originally posted by Thumper4995
What is the difference between #1 and #2 (is one dyed for farm use?). I live in Idaho and I have never seen two different options.
#2 fuel is a better lubricated diesel than #1 fuel. I believe also that the cetane rating of #1 is lower, don't remember for sure off hand or by how much if so. Farm fuel or off road fuel has a red dye in it so that it will show up if you use it in your vehicle for on road use. The red fuel does not include fuel tax. #1 diesel is actually pretty clear, and #2 diesel has a little bit of yellow to it. #2 Diesel also has a higher amount of sulfer than #1, which is why it will gel up in the winter when it gets cold. As for different stations being better than others, it's kind of up to your preference. Some places probably don't take as much precaution to keep their fuel from being contaminated with water. It is all pumped through the same pipelines and stored in the same tanks. The difference is the additives that are mixed in when a transport truck loads out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel Fuel

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.