Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New 6.4 Crate engine coming

Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 AM
koboss1
Elder User
koboss1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
New 6.4 Crate engine coming

i ordered a new crate engine from a guy in the states for my truck, he has a friend at the truck plant that sells the surplus engines from when they stopped putting them in the superdutys. these are still covered up sitting on the crate from navistar and i got it for $6800. complete drop in and go..

anyway what i was wondering is if i should sell the old engine or keep it for parts? its still running strong what would one of these be worth..

thanks
koboss

Old 05-13-2010, 11:18 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I would keep it...why are you gonna switch them out?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 AM
koboss1
Elder User
well its just a matter of time till it comes apart from what i have been toldfrom blackstone and a couple other knowledgable people? who knows it could last 10 miles it could last 100 000 miles who knows i dont but i dont want to sell it and i dont want it to come apart on the highway a 100 miles away plus i want to get away from these damn coolers, egrs, dpf doc, regens. so this way i got a great deal on the new engine.. i will spartanize it and be done with the suffocation..

Old 05-13-2010, 11:33 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Sounds like a good plan, so I am thinking I would keep it for some of those expensive parts should one in the new motor ever fail.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:22 PM
iqoair
New User
iqoair is starting off with a positive reputation.
I could never justify spending that kind of money just for a "what if" situation. Isn't your truck under warranty?

Old 05-13-2010, 01:26 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
Wow, the parts off your old engine may make your money back. Your new one might last forever, then, eBay is your friend! Very interesting.

You could sell your old one to somebody that wants a diesel in their F150 or Expedition. That would be a fun project! How about in a boat? Holy cow.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:36 PM
koboss1
Elder User
thats funny you say boat, the guy i talked to about the block off and the spartan stuff @ dirty diesel said he has a project for a boat where he needs 3 engines that he needs to rip down anyway to add marine stuff? hes charging the guy 80 grand a pop and cant find any engines. so i could sell it to him but then i would like to keep for major parts like that high pressure fuel pump so ebay might just be my friend!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
So now I'm confused. If I remember right your truck doesn't have many miles on it. What makes you think your engine is about to go?

I remember you had problems, I just didn't think anything was that badly wrong with it!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Hey Crazy, on my last 2 oil samples to blackstone it showed that my metals have jumped 3 times they
Said that it appears to have pistion scuffing and ring wear likely #8 cylinder

Old 05-13-2010, 10:43 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Crazy001 View Post
So now I'm confused. If I remember right your truck doesn't have many miles on it. What makes you think your engine is about to go?

I remember you had problems, I just didn't think anything was that badly wrong with it!
his oil analysis has started to show some major problems
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8817827

Sam

Old 05-14-2010, 05:42 AM
capt caper
Posting Guru
capt caper is starting off with a positive reputation.
good for you...I give you credit. I would have just traded it in at a Ford dealer for a 6.7 and ate the loss of having it only 2 1/2 years.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:45 AM
senix
his motor also had alot more miles on it than it said..so it is wore out. there was some fraud there before he bought it.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:48 AM
capt caper
Posting Guru
capt caper is starting off with a positive reputation.
You don't think he could have found a dealer that would take it off his hand for a new 11?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 AM
koboss1
Elder User
To big of loss for me witha trade cause of the fraud part the dealer would be taking on too much liability with a trade I would lose about 22K, this way I'm out about 8500 all said and done with new motor in from ford

Now I will be out about another 2K if I decide to go with the egr delete and spartan program with a tune

Old 05-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by senix View Post
his motor also had alot more miles on it than it said..so it is wore out. there was some fraud there before he bought it.
More miles, yes. Worn out...I just don't buy it.

If I remember right it had something like 160,000 KMs when you bought it, right? You thought it only had 60,000 KMs at the time though.

Even if he put 40,000 KMs on it since, it should only have 120,000 miles or so! This engine SHOULD NOT be worn out at 120,000 miles! Heck, Joel has more than that, and I'm willing to bet his truck has worked harder than 95% of the PSD trucks out there.

I really wonder what's causing yours to die...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 6.4 Crate engine coming

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: