1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Engine swap time bad flatty

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:53 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine swap time bad flatty

Hey folks, although I had a few interested folks in my 52 f1 I'm not selling it at least for now. The truck recently developed a slight smoking problem after I took it around the bock the other day . I thought head gasket, so I pulled the pass side head although I cannot see any cracks in the cylinders I do see a chunk taken out of the top of #1 cylinder. the wall is smooth but the piston has some dents in it. I'm thinkin since this truck sat for a while the electrode on the spark plug broke or rotted off and it took a while for the damage to show up? Pics to come, any advice on what I can sell this block off for? It's got new headers, extensions alt bracket , heads worth anything?. I'm thinking to pull it apart and sell off the pieces.

I really don;t want to do all this work but I'm thinking of swapping in a modern v8. I found a "was running when parked" montego with a 351 and c4 , another ran when parked 289 and c4 or maybe I can source a 302 and aod... I'd love to do the 312 I found in the local junk yard but he wants $450 with no promises... I'm looking for a non-major rebuild.

I'm a bit embarrassed on how much of a fool I was on this truck. The motor ran so well fired right up, idles smoothly.

The general consensus on reading the forum is a "windsor" block is about the easiest swap...

Attached Images    
Old 05-11-2010, 02:12 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The 289 or the 351 with the C4 sounds good. Either would be a good engine but a late 302/AOD would be ideal. The 312 would be cool but would most likely require a rebuild. I'm glad to see you aren't spending big money on fixing that dinosaur flathead...

Old 05-11-2010, 02:17 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I see a chunk of valve seat missing in Pic #3 ??

Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
no, just carbon build up. look at the bottom of pic #1 you can see the dents and chunks @ 5 & 7

Old 05-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Buford
Junior User
I see these 8BA flathead engines for sale on the "Ford Barn" quite often...would be an easy fix to just put another flathead in there.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:20 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Why wouldn't that block be repairable ? At least it is not cracked like alot of them .I am with buford , stay with the flattie .Makle one modification = 2 more .

Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is what happens when you **** off your truck!

I hope you learned your lesson.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Can you get a good closeup of the cylinder wall where the chunks are gone? Are those dents or where a piece came off? As long as it's solid there, the piston and rings won't care. Don't give up on that flatty yet!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
yes dent where the chunk came off, the walls are good, no damage. The reason I took her down was she was smoking. I don;t know if it was the chunks, a bad gasket or a cracked block... I'm really torn on weather I want to spend any cash on this motor.. Are you suggesting I just slap on a new set of gaskets and see if that fixes the problem? Tempting. It not caring makes me feel a little better that my comp tests were done correct,

Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Ken f2
Junior User
I could be wrong but that cyl will have a ring broke and causing smoke I would pull that piston and look

Old 05-11-2010, 10:36 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken f2
I could be wrong but that cyl will have a ring broke and causing smoke I would pull that piston and look
Yes, that's what I was going to say. The rings don't run up that high, but the piston is toast. Used pistons are cheap and easy to get. Need to check the rod in case it got bent. You've little to lose by tearing into it a bit, drop the pan and pull that piston out.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Buford
Junior User
cylinder walls

Originally Posted by norvillebob
yes dent where the chunk came off, the walls are good, no damage. The reason I took her down was she was smoking. I don;t know if it was the chunks, a bad gasket or a cracked block... I'm really torn on weather I want to spend any cash on this motor.. Are you suggesting I just slap on a new set of gaskets and see if that fixes the problem? Tempting. It not caring makes me feel a little better that my comp tests were done correct,
From the looks of the pics the cylinder walls have lots of taper. If you have to get this block bored you are looking at big expense. I still think you can find a running 8BA engine that will fix you up and get that truck back on the road...Good luck!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Originally Posted by Buford
From the looks of the pics the cylinder walls have lots of taper. If you have to get this block bored you are looking at big expense. I still think you can find a running 8BA engine that will fix you up and get that truck back on the road...Good luck!

I'm not opposed to that, I'm searching now. I'm on a bit of a time line or it will get pushed out another year.

Choices for engines currently available to me right now.

running rebuilt engines that have been sittin 10+year ago with c4 tranny $350 a 351 mid 70's car a 66/67 289 both have tranny's both are complete I have not checked to see if the motors are locked up or not. I trust the guy selling them that they did rn and were recently rebuilt. but they have been sittin in the cars..

I can even swap my dead flatty for a mid 60's buick 401 with dynaflow auto tranny that was running when it was pulled. it's missing a carb and pulleys.

Buddy has a running driving chebby treefity(350) I can get with ram horn exhaust for $250 complete freshly pulled.

I'm leaning twords an auto because I'm keeping the floor pedals.

I don;t mind pulling down an engine and running though the gaskets ect.. but I don;t want to do a major rebuild on top of fitting this motor in the framerails.

the smart choice would be the 350 but I would have a hard time driving the truck with a bag over my head.. the cool choice would be the nailhead. but that's a lot of work and unknowns. I know it's been done..

Old 05-12-2010, 07:57 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your not gonna go flatty , and use the available choices , go the buick ! good little powerplants , lot's 'o' torque !!

Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
You'd be surprised what and engine can handle. I once witnessed washer go down the carb of a SBC. The thing made all sorts of gawdawful noises. My buddy didn't want to tear it apart so he revved it a few times, after awhile you could hear the piece ratly bang down the exahust header tube. My buddy drove the car for about a year before replacing the engine. When I tore the engine apart the tops of every single piston were beat to holy he**.

Basically a few dents, dings, and gouges in the tops of a piston aren't going to hurt you at all, expecially an old flatty. If you're on a tight budget right now My suggestion is to replace the valve that has the chunks missing from it. Lap it into place real good and slap the thing back together. Worst case scenario is to drop the pan and replace the one piston like Ross suggested.

It'll start and run. Yes, it won't be perfect (but how many of them are) This will give you time to decide what you want to do; search for another flatty, rebuild yours, driveline swap, etc.

It takes more than a few small chunks from a valve to kill one of these engines

Good luck
Bobby

Quick Reply: Engine swap time bad flatty