General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Dating????????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 11:33 PM
PSD_Power
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dating????????????

Ok I need some help here. I don't know where or how to pick up on girls. I dislike the bar scene. I ocasionally will go but I don't dance and I am not very sociable. And to be frank I wouldn't want to pick up a girl at a bar. Not really in to the one night stand.

So I guess my question is, How do I find a good woman??

This bein alone on a friday night is killin me...

So where does a 21 year old guy find a decent woman??

Sorry for my pitty party.

Old 01-31-2003, 11:58 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Dating????????????

I did best with girls that were involved in similar activities. If you don't have a hobby or 2 that interact with the ladys, then get one.

It gives you an opportunity to meet them and something to talk about.

Good Luck.

Old 02-01-2003, 12:03 AM
PSD_Power
Elder User
Dating????????????

What kind of hobbies? I ride a banshee at the beach and have a fiver trailer to get it their and camp. Not to many single girls at the beach riding four wheelers.... I cant think of any hobbies off the top of my head that i would enjoy and wemon would to?? ugg

Old 02-01-2003, 12:16 AM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Dating????????????

You might consider taking some classes at the local University or Community College. I'm sure there is something that interests you. Keep in mind, you probbaly won't see that many young ladies in advanced welding and metal fab :-)

If you don't have any college, start with the basics, english, math etc. If you have interest in anything like art, music, dancing, cooking. Take a group class. Sounds cheezy, but the girls will be there. Make sure you do have an interest, otherwise there is not much to talk about.

I'm not trying to state the obvious, If you are not meeting the girls where you hang out. You might ought to hang out somewhere else. Mix it up.

Not to be politically incorrect, but Church or other organized worship is also an option.

Of all the girls I dated, I met most through school, band (Yup, I was a band nerd) or Church.

Hang in there. One day you'll be surfing on Friday night because your wife of 8.5 years is sleeping after a long day at work:-)

Last edited by gtex; 02-01-2003 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:45 AM
JB13
Senior User
Dating????????????

Hey Justin, aka PSD,

Join all the local clubs, social groups, and activity groups that you LOVE. Don't waste your time looking in places that are not True to the things you Enjoy. Stay away from bars and nightclubs!!!

I agree that a church group is also a great place. Join business groups that are in line with your job, or professional interests, like the local Chamber of Commerce, College/University Associations, etc. Affiliate yourself with sporting groups.

Get involved with a LOCAL email group. (I had a GREAT time learning to Saltwater fish for 5 years with 100 friends I met on a Sportsmen's Group I happened to find on Yahoo.)

Ask your friends, ask your neighbors, ask the friends you work with. You have more resources than you realize.

Good Luck!

P/S Don't LOOK for her.....QUIT looking & she WILL walk right into your life. IF you're REALLY Smart.....You'll Know.

Last edited by JB13; 02-01-2003 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:18 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dating????????????

ok, im 20 years old, and currently single. i recently backed out of a five month relationship, and before that, a relationship that went on for a year and a half. before that i had 3 month - 6 month relationships, so the most part of my adult/teenage life ive been an attached guy. i didnt meet many of my ex's at school.
most of the time, my buddies would show up at my house and bring a "friend" ( of the opposite sex ) but then starting my business and working 12-14 hours a day screwed up my social life. well, now im taking the winter off since my work is seasonal, i have bought a membership to the local fitness center/gym. i lift weights about every 2 or 3 days and jog on the indoor track. its a great way to meet new people, and stay in shape. another user mentioned the idea of "quit searching" i second that idea, since everytime i quit searching, someone fell into my lap. ive had alot of girlfriends, its not something im proud of, but from my experience you NEED to show self confidence, stay somewhat reserved, be patient, and let things work themselves out. if that doesnt work you could always show off that flashy truck of yours.

Old 02-01-2003, 03:41 PM
big_daddy_velvet
Elder User
Dating????????????

You are 21 and you want a RELATIONSHIP? Bro, forget about trying to find a woman, and focus instead on doing things that make you happy. Sure, you think having a steady relationship would make you happy, and it will, in a way, but you gotta know what you are sacrificing to have that: instead of riding your quad on the beach on Sundays, all of a sudden you are committed to having dinner with her family on Sundays. All those buddies you pal around with? If she likes them in the beginning, great; then all of a sudden she'll come out with reasons she DOESN'T like them, and she'll make you feel guilty about "ditching" her for them, even if she was invited. The pros outweigh the cons, but not when you are 21. Wait a few years to worry about that crap.
I am 24, have been with my girlfriend for over a year, and we already live together. We have a great relationship, but sometimes I wish I could do the things I used to enjoy without her...which never happens. Not all girls are like that, but you aren't going to find one that isn't unless you look at the bar...
BDV
P.S.- If it's all about sex for you, the bar is hands down the best place to score. You don't have to call 'em again if you don't want to!

Old 02-01-2003, 07:27 PM
PSD_Power
Elder User
Dating????????????

gtex, JB13, BuiltToughF250, big_daddy_velvet

Thank you all for your help. I think I will take the advise to just sit back and enjoy the single life. I stay away from the bars due to the fact that I might pick up a girl....., But it would be the WRONG kind a girl. I only get in relasionships that I think can be meaningful. Again thank you all, Just needed some other peoples opinions.

Old 02-01-2003, 07:40 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dating????????????

I don't know if there is one of these in your area or not, but you might try running an ad in a singles newspaper. I'm not talking about the page at the back of the local newsrag classifieds either, but one of those independent singles papers.
Just be HONEST and try to accurately describe yourself and the type of person you hope to meet.
I placed one in January of 1995.
My wife and I have been married seven years next month and have two precious kids.
Worked for us.

Old 02-01-2003, 07:45 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Dating????????????

Originally posted by PSD_Power

I think I will take the advise to just sit back and enjoy the single life.
In the immortal words of Dennis Weaver (aka McCloud):

There ya' go!

ALL the advice from the other guys (well, I'm ASSUMING they're guys LOL) was outstanding, square on the head of the nail. I couldn't have added anything else. If I were you, I'd print them out and re-read them again when you need future advice; you won't do any better than that. As for girls that are into hauling THEIR 4-wheelers to the beach behind their PSD F350s, well- they probably aren't interested in you anyways. Nothing personal, you just weren't born with the right equipment, know what I mean?

Old 02-01-2003, 09:42 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Dating????????????

i guess the reasons ive backed out of these past relationships of mine, is like a previous post mentioned, free time and time with "the boys" as much as it is nice to have a woman by your side, you also need to spend time with friends, four wheeling, hunting, parties, and so on. if possible you should try to find a woman who is seeking a relaxed relationship, nothing too serious, so you can get away from her one or two nights a week instead of feeling locked down. dont get me wrong, relationships are a good thing, IF YOU ARE READY FOR ONE.

Old 02-01-2003, 09:59 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Dating????????????

I'm just starting out, kinda testing the waters, I'd say since about last March. I went to a conference and they had a dance there that night, and this real pretty girl sent a friend to ask me to dance with her. So I said ok and we started dancing and I couldn't get over how she was interested in me so much. We exchanged phone numbers, emails, addresses, and hugged and said goodbye the next day. Then when I get home that night, I had an email from her. Then at the end of March she called and said she wanted me to go to the jr./sr. at her school in May (she lives 200 miles away). I went up there and that's the last time I saw her. But we stay in touch, we talk on the instant messenger about 3 or 4 days a week and I'm gonna see her 3 weekends in a row in Feb. So I'm looking forward to seeing her again, cause I miss her so much. I almost forgot, she drives a lifted F-150, too. Hope I didn't ramble too much, but that's just my story and I hope you can find somebody that suits you.

Old 02-01-2003, 11:13 PM
FXSTC
Senior User
Dating????????????

Originally posted by PSD_Power
Thank you all for your help. I think I will take the advise to just sit back and enjoy the single life.
Have you ever considered prostitutes? They can be a great alternative to commitment while still having a fun time!

(just kidding!!!!! jeez...calm down guys!!!)

JK

Old 02-01-2003, 11:25 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Dating????????????

haha... theres a movie called "love stinks" its a hilarious comedy. one of the lines is, "you know the difference between a girlfriend and a hooker?" "the hooker tells you the price up-front!"

Old 02-01-2003, 11:49 PM
FXSTC
Senior User
Dating????????????

The difference between a girlfriend and a wife?

45 lbs!!

Quick Reply: Dating????????????