Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Headrests

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
bddo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a problem with the headrest. My wife only complained when she had a hair clip on the back of her hair and it hit the headrest making it quite uncomfortable.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Nogyro
5th Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm 6'3", 180 pounds and the headrest really bothered me. I like to have the seat rather erect and I think that makes the problem even worse. I tried flipping it and that didn't help, so I removed them and bent the bars until I could sit in the seat with my head just clearing the rest. Works great now.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:49 PM
SWV10
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I have no issues w/the new headrest design, no problems either from any passengers.
Can you order the headrest's out of a 07F150, has they didn't tilt so forward.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not had any problems in the '09 150, but then again, I do not use the back of the seat either....granted, in my '02 150 I do use the seat.

In my sisters mustang, with the tilted foward head rests, because of the low roof, you have ot lean back, which means using the seat, and I find that hte head rest makes it uncomfy....

I just finished up a 1200 mile trip with no problems with the head rest..

Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 PM
islanderdave
4wd Low
I have had a sore neck since putting 5 k om my 2011 f150, I finally figured out its the head rests. I prefer to sit in alignment with the seat back and this results in my head being pushed forward and down, I get a sore neck and can't move my head around to look in mirrors in reverse or driving at night. I want to straighten them out but am worried about weakening the supports and expense of 2012 adjustables ($180?). will look at wreckers and aftermarket.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:10 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
The head rests in my 2012 F-150 are adjustable, for sure.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:49 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Neither my bride or I have any complaints. In fact, my seats in my 2011 are perhaps some of the most comfortable seats that I own. After a hard day of carrying mail, I feel relaxed when I get home.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:39 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by disappointed4
We were just shopping for a new F150 and probably would have purchased today. And then my wife sat in the passenger side. Her back was in the seat but her head was tilted forward at a very odd angle. When we tried to adjust the headrest, the salesman explained they aren't adjustable, due to ergonomic and liability issues. .

Male Bovine Excrement!

Once again the ignorance of the salespeople raises its' ugly head.

All headrests are adjustable up/down.
See your owners manual. page 166 (2012 manual referenced)
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/results.asp

There are tilt adjustable headrests available aftermarket.
Mustang Tilting Headrest , 2010-2012 - MRT Direct

Maybe one of the parts guys here will chime in on the availability of Ford units.
The manual shows how to adjust the tilt (If so equipped) pg.167

Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by shorebird
Once again the ignorance of the salespeople raises its' ugly head.
not quite sure what you are getting at here.

this thread was started in 2010, at which time the head rests were not adjustable. Ford probably didnt want people messing with them because they are safer with them tilted foward as they are. messing with safety equipment often leads to fear of litigation, so the comment stands to reason by deduction.

i don't think they are adjustable until MY2012.

pg 166 in the 2010 owners manual talks about seat belts.

pg 162 of the 2010 manual clearly shows that they only go up and down.

telling me what page to look on in your 2012 dont help some one with a 2011 or 2010

does this qualify for necro-posting?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:02 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Originally Posted by meborder
not quite sure what you are getting at here.

this thread was started in 2010, at which time the head rests were not adjustable. Ford probably didnt want people messing with them because they are safer with them tilted foward as they are. messing with safety equipment often leads to fear of litigation, so the comment stands to reason by deduction.

i don't think they are adjustable until MY2012.

does this qualify for necro-posting?
Again I refer you to the owners manual
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/results.asp
Pages 147 - 148 of the 2010 manual
Up/down only from Ford at that time
Again there are after market solutions.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:28 PM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Originally Posted by flixden
Is this a joke?
The head rests in my 2012 F-150 are adjustable, for sure.
Although they are adjustable on the 2012's the adjustment is pretty crappy....they go from uncomfortably forward to even more uncomfortably forward. I think the seats are decent but not great, I'd like to have the headrests tipped back a tiny bit more and a bit more padding wouldn't hurt for long trips either.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Would the headrest be not so annoying if you were to change the seat back to a less upright position?
Changing the angle to a bit more reclined position will result in the headrest being a bit further from the heads position while driving.

As for the amount of padding they are not pillows and you are not suppose to keep your head on them.
They are there to arrest the rearward motion of your head should you be rear-ended.
I once encountered a person who was badly injured when their head whipped back and the headrest was set too low for their height.
Their neck was overextended when their head rolled back over the headrest instead of striking it solidly in the center.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the OP's wife just doesn't like the truck. Women are funny like this at least my wife is. When she doesn't like a vehicle she will fail it based on the most rediculous item or thing on the vehicle.

Personally I find my '11 F-150's seats probably the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in for a vehicle and I've owned a ton of trucks, a few Mercedes, and Porsche etc... What I can't grasp is who the hell actually puts their head on the head-rest? I can't recall the last time I actually rested my head on one driving or passenger. My wife is also 5'4'' and has never said anything about the shape or design.

Another option, you can add those aftermarket headrests that have the built in DVD players which could add a bit of luxury to your truck and fix the problem your wife has with the seats.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:37 AM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Originally Posted by shorebird
Would the headrest be not so annoying if you were to change the seat back to a less upright position?
Changing the angle to a bit more reclined position will result in the headrest being a bit further from the heads position while driving.

As for the amount of padding they are not pillows and you are not suppose to keep your head on them.
No matter what incline your seat is at if you put your back against the seat the headrest is too far forward....if you lean forward away from your seat you are defeating the purpose of the uncomfortable headrest in the first place...

The comment on the padding wasn't about headrests it's the whole seat, they are adequate but not much more.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:21 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
i know some people who sit very erect and i can see how the head rest would tend to push your head forward in that case.

if you sit like a hunchback, like i do, then it tends to sit about an inch or so behind your head, so it doesn't bother.

it would be nice to be able to tip them back. I've bumped my glasses on them when turning my head to check my blind spot to make a lane change.

it would also be nice to make them shorter and narrower. the stupid thing completely blocks the rear window on the passenger's side. I think my passenger's head rest is coming out. i rarely have passengers, and if i do, i'll put it back in for them. but other than that ... that stupid thing is just completely in the way!

Quick Reply: Headrests