Diesel convert? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Diesel convert?

Old 04-27-2010, 08:18 PM
mike-db
Junior User
mike-db is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel convert?

So I was talking the other day with a friend of mine, and the discussion came up about deisel vs gas, pro's and cons that type of thing.

We both decided that for what I'd use my truck for (daily driver, hauling loads, lots of long distance highway driving) that a diesel truck would be better suited for me.

Thing is I am very partial to my three on the tree 81 f150, I don't think I'll give it up unless it was totaled. So then we started talking about the possibility of a convert from gas to diesel, but a lot of questions an suspicions come up.

Like for instance, would a diesel engine even fit? Or if my transmission would work with a diesel engine, and if a whole lot of things wiring wise would have to be changed.

Discuss, for my amusement and education!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 PM
bghnkinf250
Posting Guru
bghnkinf250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bghnkinf250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
3 on the tree and diesel will not be suited for each other. The engine will fit, but is not ideal for the F-150 suspension. With having said that, they have been put into Broncos and such, so it CAN be done.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 PM
mike-db
Junior User
I'm thinking I'll just wait till my truck dies. Then go diesel.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:43 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.
You could consider a smaller diesel engine like a Detroit 4-53 or a Cummins 4BT. There are videos of both on YouTube. There's one truck on there with a 4-53 that will send chills up your spine. lol

I'm not sure how good the smaller engines would be for towing and hauling, but if you geared it right, I'm sure you could accomplish a fair amount.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:05 AM
mike-db
Junior User
No towing, I'm looking for the ability to still haul a load of firewood and hay every once in a while for a good hour drive (including the drive back it would be two hours).

And I'd like to have some good mileage, I'm not looking for more power probably the same amount. Just better fuel mileage (unless me switching to a detroit 4-53 lets say would not change it then I guess the conversation has been settled!)

Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
If your truck has a 300 six in it right now, and you got a 4bt out of a bread van with a Ford chassis, the 4bt would bolt in. Cummins had a re-power program and made swap kits to pull out the 300 out of the bread vans and install their diesel in it's place. And I read somewhere the front frame of the bread van is the same as the 80-up pickups. The Ford vans came with a 4 speed, but the 3 speed should work also. 20mpg+ is obtainable with this setup.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
bashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to all
So it would bolt up in a 302 or 351w truck also? Any custom $1,000,000 adapters needed or is it the same bolt pattern?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 PM
mike-db
Junior User
Hmmm well now I might want to start looking into if I actually have a 300 straight 6 or not. I've been told countless times that I do.

And I guess I have to look into the price range of a 4bt.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Fordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to all
Today I was at school hangin out in the parkin lot,and I saw a silver 9th gen F150 Supercab Flareside 4x4 going through the pickup line.Well,I looked and thought what a nice truck.Then I heard it.It had a diesel in it.I did a triple take to make sure it wasn't an F250 with a flareside bed,but it had the 5 lug pattern on it,so it was indeed an F150.I wish I had my camera so I could make a video.So it CAN be done,and it makes for a pretty sweet truck.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bashby View Post
So it would bolt up in a 302 or 351w truck also? Any custom $1,000,000 adapters needed or is it the same bolt pattern?
Cummins already made the adapters and they are already on the engine if you get the one from a Ford chassis van. Yes it would bolt in a 302 or 351w pickup if you got the frame mount perches from a truck that originally had a 300 six. Remember they are different than the v8 perches.