Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange issue...

Old 04-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Strange issue...

Howdy y'all, I'm having a really strange problem with my truck...

In the morning when the truck is cold, it sometimes starts and idles just fine, but sometimes it seems like an injector forgets to fire or kinda works but half way...

On the freeway with the truck fully warmed up, the engine will run, smooth, quiet, and strong; then out of nowhere it's like an injector on the passenger side quits. The truck is still very much drivable, but is shakes really bad under acceleration and idles real rough. Then after a little bit of driving the problem clears up as if it never happened. This is an intermittent problem and there's no real way to duplicate it....

This STILL happens even though I had the valvecovers off, did the 25 cent mod, tightened down the injectors, and made sure they were all securely connected.

What's going on with my truck?!?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
DP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
Howdy y'all, I'm having a really strange problem with my truck...

In the morning when the truck is cold, it sometimes starts and idles just fine, but sometimes it seems like an injector forgets to fire or kinda works but half way...

On the freeway with the truck fully warmed up, the engine will run, smooth, quiet, and strong; then out of nowhere it's like an injector on the passenger side quits. The truck is still very much drivable, but is shakes really bad under acceleration and idles real rough. Then after a little bit of driving the problem clears up as if it never happened. This is an intermittent problem and there's no real way to duplicate it....

This STILL happens even though I had the valvecovers off, did the 25 cent mod, tightened down the injectors, and made sure they were all securely connected.

What's going on with my truck?!?
First thing I would do is run a CCT to make sure the inectors are okay. Then check the UCVH to make sure it has not come unplugged or loose.
Do you smell raw unburnt fuel at all since the 25 cent mod?

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 04-27-2010, 11:52 AM
JaySVX
Posting Guru
JaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to behold
I have a similar problem, but it only affects me at idle, and it only happens if i decelerate very rapidly. Revving the engine and driving a bit fixes everything. Check to see if any driving style is consistent with causing the problem. It doesn't happen often with me, but I figure it's a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the injectors. If the 7.3litre injectors are oil driven, try an oil flush and change with good oil. Otherwise I'd guess you have an oring out on an injector.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Did a CCT last summer and it passed with flying colors, but I guess since all this is happening, I need to do a CCT again...

Jay, it too seems to happen on decel and rarely on acceleration. I changed the oil not too long ago so HPOS has fresh oil going through it. Something has me thinking it's the solenoid on top of the injector, but I could be wrong...kinda wish I had AE scanner right now.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 PM
megawatt00
Post Fiend
megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
Did a CCT last summer and it passed with flying colors, but I guess since all this is happening, I need to do a CCT again...

Jay, it too seems to happen on decel and rarely on acceleration. I changed the oil not too long ago so HPOS has fresh oil going through it. Something has me thinking it's the solenoid on top of the injector, but I could be wrong...kinda wish I had AE scanner right now.
This is what I am thinking. I agree ans AE would be helpful right now to test the solenoids. You can always ohm them out and test for leakage to ground on each solenoid.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Originally Posted by megawatt00 View Post
This is what I am thinking. I agree ans AE would be helpful right now to test the solenoids. You can always ohm them out and test for leakage to ground on each solenoid.
Found a solenoid on ebay, but how do I ohm out the injectors?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:12 PM
megawatt00
Post Fiend
megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
Found a solenoid on ebay, but how do I ohm out the injectors?
On the UVCH:

G - G - I - I - C - I - I - G - G

G = glow plug
I = Injector return
C = Injector common feed

You should measure .5 - 2 ohms between G and ground, and around 3.5-5 ohms between I and C.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:38 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Ohm out the injectors like Jim said. What you're looking for is a reading that is different than the others. I've seen a bad soleniod that ohmed out at around 0.5 less than the others, but was still in spec.

Of course with that being said, when I saw the bad soleniod, the IDM had shut down the entire bank of cylinders in a kind of fail safe mode. Since you're not losing the entire bank, I'm not sure it's a soleniod problem.

I'd PM Jim at Rosewood diesel and ask him if he has a soleniod he'll sell you and get his input on your issue. Also don't forget to set the truck back to stock to rule out any chip issue.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Sounds like a plan then....

Although after 10 years and 264K, I'm thinking it may be time for some new injectors...talked to swamps diesel and they have a good deal on some upgraded S175 injectors since I have an Excursion.

Any other suggestions?

Saving my pennies in the meantime...

Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I read through this fast but if you have not installed new UVCH harnesses or put shims under them, I would do so first.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Originally Posted by nhill2090 View Post
I read through this fast but if you have not installed new UVCH harnesses or put shims under them, I would do so first.
Haven't installled a new UVCH, but did the 50 cent mod....

Old 04-28-2010, 04:07 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Haven't installled a new UVCH, but did the 50 cent mod....
Other than doing a continuity check on the harnesses, I woud hope that the quarters are enough to shim it up. I have seen a couple scenarios similiar to yours where it was the UVCH as the culprit.

Just seems like every time someone has a problem with missing cylinder and such, most techs go straight to pointing fingers at this injector and that injector and such. Truth of the matter is there are a whole lot more controls and outputs, not to mention wires, that could cause that situation.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:33 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
CSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like a plan then....

Although after 10 years and 264K, I'm thinking it may be time for some new injectors...talked to swamps diesel and they have a good deal on some upgraded S175 injectors since I have an Excursion.

Any other suggestions?

Saving my pennies in the meantime...

Dont go splits... Just do the singles... The F-5 and F-6 will work with the PATS system...

Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
I'd do a CCT before springing for injectors. I'm still running my stock sticks at 327k miles. If you can't find anyone local to run the test, maybe I can meet you around Buffalo one weekend and scan it for you. (Unless you have plans of coming further North anytime soon)

Old 04-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
I'd do a CCT before springing for injectors. I'm still running my stock sticks at 327k miles. If you can't find anyone local to run the test, maybe I can meet you around Buffalo one weekend and scan it for you. (Unless you have plans of coming further North anytime soon)
I thought about you and your truck on the way home....

You've got 327K on the stock sticks and I have to change mine already?!? Something just didn't seem right with that...

I think I'll take you up on your offer to meet you half way if not a little further. The thought of having to drop $1500 for a new set of injectors and the time involved doesn't sit well with me...atleast not right now.

I'm good for this weekend and sunday May 9th if that doesn't work, shoot me a PM when you can and I'll get back to you in the morning. Dead tired right now...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange issue...

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.