Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New to Diesel and New to the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:03 AM
River19
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Diesel and New to the Forum

I just became the owner of a pretty clean 2001 F-250 7.3L Powerstroke with only 80K miles after much searching, I take delivery on Monday night…….we’re pretty happy with the purchase, however I’m sure I will have a ton of questions.<O</O
<O
This whole forum was a great resource while doing my research etc. So I wanted throw a thank you out there to everyone that contributes.<O</O
<O
So back to the truck, the owner before me added a lot of decent bolt on upgrades, nice stainless exhaust, intake (I believe it was an AirRaid) and what looks to be some upgrades on the turbo side of things as I saw some Garrett parts in there. Yes I should have spent more time under the hood but it was raining, the wife was there, hadn’t eaten dinner ……blah blah blah. <O</O
<O
But, I’m buying it through the Ford Dealer so I spoke at length with the guy that did the inspection of the truck and the work he did. He replaced the front rotors, the “stabilizer shock”, both ball joints, wire brushed the frame of the surface rust (I have a 2001 Tundra, I know about rust) and then painted the frame. The wheel wells are cherry, no rust on them which is a miracle, the oil pan looked solid and not patched. The engine was not chipped at this point which I like, however it could have been easy for the guy to remove and toss. The tranny was solid, engaged as it should, and felt stout.<O</O
<O</O

It came with some new Nittos and Eagle wheels which I think I may sell as the stock rims are also in the bed right now, I think I’ll throw some BF TAs on it and get rid of the big mpg robbing rubber…….not that BFG’s are small by any stretch.<O</O
<O
My first question is, should I ditch the AirRaid intake? I have heard mixed review on intakes, obviously the guy has it breathing easy with the upgraded exhaust and intake……..I’m looking for long term reliability and fuel economy if possible………..I would appreciate a little guidance.<O</O
<O
Thanks<O</O
<O</O

Steve<O</O

Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM
brownie83
Posting Guru
welcome aboard...
stick around and you will find out a lot of great info. The turbo upgrades you said...Garrett is stock. so unless it is a Van turbo or has a wicked wheel, its probably stock. the air filter most people use is a Wix 6637. this gets rid of the stock, leaky air box. you need alot of good CLEAN air so it doesnt mess up the turbo fins. if you do a search for the "6637 mod" im sure you will find it. good luck

Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 AM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome to FTE, Ganges, Chip, Trans upgrade, would be the first things.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:45 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome Steve. AirRaid should be fine. Now ignore everything the dealer has told you and read this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

Don't trust the dealer. Their inspections usually leave much to be desired. Give it a real good once over before you take delivery to be on the safe side.

Congrats on finding such a low mileage truck.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:03 AM
River19
Elder User
Thanks everyone……..

<O</OI was concerned because the one piece of information I didn’t have was what the maker of the stock turbo was…………I feel better now. It looks as though it only has exhaust and intake, plus I have boost & Exhaust gauges ……….so it is a nice place to start. I feel bad for the guy that had to trade it in…….it was his baby, but since someone has to benefit from it, it might as well be me, right?<O</O
<O</O
I trust dealers only so far, and it isn’t far………the only information I wanted from his mechanic (whom I spoke to) was “what did you replace and show me?”……..brakes, frame repaint (to which I went around and rapped on it with a hammer). The tranny is my only worry at this point, it felt fine to me, but I’m going to have my friend who has 2 7.3L (one with 370K and one with 180K) check it out. He has an aftermarket one installed in his 2001………luckily my next door neighbor owns a transmission shop……..so if I need some love, he’s there.<O</O
<O</O

What should the normal boost range be on these as I have no point of reference? Exhaust (I believe it was temp but)?<O</O
<O</O

Now I have to figure out if I need to make any adjustments to the calculations for mpg if I stick with the 305 70 16 Nittos that are on there now. I want to get a good baseline to see where I’m starting on fuel economy.<O</O
<O</O
I will continue my education now………….<O</O
<O</O

Thanks<O</O
<O</O

Steve<O</O

Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Welcome Steve....You may come addicted to this place and these folks.
Bending over backwards to help a member is ''just our game''.....This is a stealership prevention site

Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by riverrat41
Welcome Steve....You may come addicted to this place and these folks.
Bending over backwards to help a member is ''just our game''.....This is a stealership prevention site
Sounds familiar, I have been an active member at a relatively civilized hunting forum for about 8 years now and some of my best friends are from the “internet”……freakin’ scary to realize that, but it is reality.f<O</O
<O</O

I appreciate the warm welcome……….don’t hold it against me that I kept my rusty Tundra as well……….it works better on the logging roads during hunting season and it can remain the “dog truck” so I stay married, mucking up this Ford would be a “marriage stressing activity”. She wants to get back into horses, well lemme see here………horses need a trailer, trailers need diesels, there is just no substitute. I can only play the cards I’m dealt.<O</O

Old 04-23-2010, 12:08 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You sure do like those smiley faces. Must be excited about the new truck.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:43 PM
River19
Elder User
The emoticons were beckoning to me..........I'm usually not an emoticon kinda guy........but what can I say, my excitment got the best of me.........

Old 04-23-2010, 01:32 PM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by River19
Thanks everyone……..

<O</OI was concerned because the one piece of information I didn’t have was what the maker of the stock turbo was…………I feel better now. It looks as though it only has exhaust and intake, plus I have boost & Exhaust gauges ……….so it is a nice place to start. I feel bad for the guy that had to trade it in…….it was his baby, but since someone has to benefit from it, it might as well be me, right?<O</O
<O</O
I trust dealers only so far, and it isn’t far………the only information I wanted from his mechanic (whom I spoke to) was “what did you replace and show me?”……..brakes, frame repaint (to which I went around and rapped on it with a hammer). The tranny is my only worry at this point, it felt fine to me, but I’m going to have my friend who has 2 7.3L (one with 370K and one with 180K) check it out. He has an aftermarket one installed in his 2001………luckily my next door neighbor owns a transmission shop……..so if I need some love, he’s there.<O</O
<O</O

What should the normal boost range be on these as I have no point of reference? Exhaust (I believe it was temp but)?<O</O
<O</O

Now I have to figure out if I need to make any adjustments to the calculations for mpg if I stick with the 305 70 16 Nittos that are on there now. I want to get a good baseline to see where I’m starting on fuel economy.<O</O
<O</O
I will continue my education now………….<O</O
<O</O

Thanks<O</O
<O</O

Steve<O</O
holy smiley faces batman. wait till you get a dp tunner oooooooooooh boy

Old 04-23-2010, 02:28 PM
River19
Elder User
Alright, now I ahve to wonder, I have used only one emoticon per post, are more than that showing up? If so, I need to avoid typing in word and pasting in.......even I don't like emoticons that much.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:53 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by River19
Alright, now I ahve to wonder, I have used only one emoticon per post, are more than that showing up? If so, I need to avoid typing in word and pasting in.......even I don't like emoticons that much.

It's really quite funny. You have two similar to this one before and after every paragraph. I think it has something to do with the software you are using to enter your posts.

It's all good I was just kidding around.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:53 PM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
haha no big deal man, we were just bustin on ya. did you hit it more then once mabey? i would be to worried about it.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:30 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
What you do to the truck depends a lot on what you're going to use it for.

So far, I see "pulling a horse trailer". Anything else? Go-fast street racer?

There are things you will want to do for one activity that maybe you don't need for another. Street racing usually does not require a larger tranny cooler, but heavy towing does.

Let us know.

And welcome to our corner of the internet. A real nice bunch of guys and gals hang their hats here. We have occasional get-togethers where we get to actually meet one-another. Sometimes we work on trucks, sometimes we just drink beer or eat burgers, but we always seem to have a real good time!

Pop

Old 04-23-2010, 03:41 PM
River19
Elder User
Thanks and Yikes.....I think I'll avoid that method as I would have to call the emoti police on myself, I'm usually a one and done kinda guy (at least with emoticons, as far as you know........).

The use of the truck will be daily driver and light to medium towing (3000-8000lbs) with most being about 4-5000lbs. My street racer days are very over, while I'm 34 years old, I'm an old 34 years old, had my go fast days a while back, now I just like to cruise and let the others race around.

We have a second home (no kids therefore we could do that) and it is a 250mile trip each weekend with some mountains in NH and VT to climb, so highway driving, stability, comfort and mileage are the most important. Which is why I am thinking of ditching the Nitto Grapplers in 305 70 16 for something more along the lines of 285's.

Any recommendations? I was always a BF TA guy and was thinking of going that route again, but I have also had decent luck with Yoki's and Generals in the past. I need some decent snow and wet weather/mud traction but don't want a ton of excess highway noise other than the sound of the sweet 7.3L.

Steve

Quick Reply: New to Diesel and New to the Forum