1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F1 radiator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F1 radiator replacement

Anyone have a favorite replacement radiator for their F1. I need to replace mine and I'm looking for a good experience-or bad ones if you bought a catalog unit and aren't happy--let me know that too please.

I've got a 48F1 with a 312Yblock and the OEM radiator is too corroded to repair. I'm thinking of getting a OEM looking replacement 4 row unit from Sacto Vintage Ford. My current catalog prices them at $475. I see some less expensive units at NPD but they're 3row and not 4. Plus the Sacto unit comes with a built in tranny cooler/don't need that now/but who knows the future? And the NPD is supposedly not OEM appearing. Not a deal buster, but something.

I'm willing to spend a little more--if I get better cooling--Don't really know if the Sacto 4 row is bigger/better than the 3row NPD. Of course the implication is that they are. But who know's. Just because it costs more doesn't mean its better. But the picture of the Sacto unit looks like the OEM--which i would prefer-It would be nice. Another plus.

I'm guessing the Sacto unit is a China import--much of their stuff is. I'd be
OK with that if the quality is there--But a lot of that stuff always looks a little thinner/lighter etc. Not as substantial looking to me.

Tom

Old 04-20-2010, 07:10 PM
tlb
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my radiator from Hot Rods Trucks. Its a direct replacement for the original. It also has a tranny cooler. It was made by US radiator. Can't remember what i paid for it but i have not had any problems.

Terry

Old 04-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Thanks Terry I'll check that out. I hadn't even thought of them.

Tom

Old 04-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

I found their catalog-I had one in the shop. I can't recall ordering from them before-but I've heard lots of good stuff. And I see in their catalog 11, the one I have, which is probably almost current, that they offer a nice selection. I especially like that they have some elect fans with shrouds installed alternatives etc. Expensive I know but I guess I need a elect fan too because my manual fan is just too far from the radiator. The previous owner installed the motor with an adapter to the OEM 4speed tranny--which I like--but its got the motor way back against the firewall in order to make it happen, and too far away to solve with a mechanical fan spacer. Expensive i know but maybe necessary.

I'll phone them tomorrow and see about current prices etc. Thanks

Tom

Old 04-21-2010, 07:56 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd seriously consider the three row instead of the four. My past experience with four row radiators is that they are harder to pass air through. A three row should cool your 312 with no problem. I'm currently running a three row 75 Dodge truck radiator in my 48 F-3 with a 350 Chevy and plan to run a 68 Mustang three row in my 49 F-1 with a 302. The 350 never goes over 180 degrees...

Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Thanks Vern. I'm thinking along that line myself. The 312 is not a built up motor, and doesn't run hot or anything. There's usually a big difference in price -25%+ for a 4 row etc. I dont' think in my application its a must etc.

Tom

Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

water pump

And while I'm thinking about it, I've got an elect fan on another truck, but I prefer mechanical over elect whenever possible--but in this situation I'm already using the longest fan spacer available and I'm still - I don't know?-3inches or so too far from the radiator? Something like that-I'd have to measure to be more exact. Its too far anyway for the mechanical fan to work well, but does the Ford Yblock motor have a "long" water pump? I'm not a Chevy expert etc--but I recall on their small blocks they have a choice between a long or short water pump which could solve my problem by getting the fan closer to the radiator. Of course I could actually move the radiator towards the motor with some home made "spacer" type affair, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with the cosmetics? I could do it, but it might be wierder looking than I want. I don't want that.

Tom

Old 04-21-2010, 12:19 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomget
And while I'm thinking about it, I've got an elect fan on another truck, but I prefer mechanical over elect whenever possible--but in this situation I'm already using the longest fan spacer available and I'm still - I don't know?-3inches or so too far from the radiator? Something like that-I'd have to measure to be more exact. Its too far anyway for the mechanical fan to work well, but does the Ford Yblock motor have a "long" water pump? I'm not a Chevy expert etc--but I recall on their small blocks they have a choice between a long or short water pump which could solve my problem by getting the fan closer to the radiator. Of course I could actually move the radiator towards the motor with some home made "spacer" type affair, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with the cosmetics? I could do it, but it might be wierder looking than I want. I don't want that.

Tom
Tom, Is your radiator set in the 6 cylinder or the 8 cylinder position? The V-8 position is further back.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Willard I didn't know there were two positions.

Tom

Old 04-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Smile two radiator positions

Wow--Bill -49Willard

I just went out and looked. You know I didn't know that-lol. By golly there are 2 positons. I kinda noticed the extra holes in the front inner fender panels when I recently replaced them. The original inner fenders had been removed by the previous owner to make room for some big fender exiting exhaust headers etc. In fact I was thinking of welding the holes closed etc. I didn't know they had a purpose. But I just crawled underneath and it appears that the radiator/frame support bracket thingee is held in place by 2 bolts that run through that front crossmember. And I see that there are 2 sets of holes. From what you say I can see now that yes my trucks radiator is set up for the longer 6 cylinder block etc. I'll unbolt the radiator support and reinstall in the V8 position.

Wow I'm glad someone asked. I'm new to F1's. Never had one before so there's lots for me to learn.

So this should solve the problem at getting the radiator close enough to the mechanical fan.

Thanks
Tom

Old 04-21-2010, 04:34 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ideally, you want the fan within an inch of the radiator. I like mine even closer, like 1/2 inch...and use the largest diameter fan you have clearance for. It won't hurt if the fan has multiple blades also. If the fan is reasonably centered in the radiator you might not even need a shroud. I not running one on my 48 and plan not to run one on my 49 if I can get away with it. I also block off all the places where air can bypass the radiator like the sides, top, and below, forcing all the air that enters the grille to go through the radiator...not around it...

Old 04-21-2010, 04:44 PM
vbarker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tom, I changed the 4 blade fan on my 292 to a 5 blade fan, added the shroud and am using a mustang 2 row radiator on my 58. Everything cools real well.

Vern

Old 04-21-2010, 07:27 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomget
Wow--Bill -49Willard

I just went out and looked. You know I didn't know that-lol. By golly there are 2 positons. I kinda noticed the extra holes in the front inner fender panels when I recently replaced them. The original inner fenders had been removed by the previous owner to make room for some big fender exiting exhaust headers etc. In fact I was thinking of welding the holes closed etc. I didn't know they had a purpose. But I just crawled underneath and it appears that the radiator/frame support bracket thingee is held in place by 2 bolts that run through that front crossmember. And I see that there are 2 sets of holes. From what you say I can see now that yes my trucks radiator is set up for the longer 6 cylinder block etc. I'll unbolt the radiator support and reinstall in the V8 position.

Wow I'm glad someone asked. I'm new to F1's. Never had one before so there's lots for me to learn.

So this should solve the problem at getting the radiator close enough to the mechanical fan.

Thanks
Tom
Tom, On an original truck, the upper (bolted to the underside of the hood)and lower (just below the radiator-bolted to the lower front edge of the ineer fenders) air dams are different for the 6 cylinder and the V-8. Are the original air dams still in place? The air dams help direct air thru the radiator.
If you need original V-8 air dams they come up on ebay and others on the forum may have a set to sell.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

6 versus v8 airdams

Hey Bill

That's a good question--yes and no. The top air dam is in place but the bottom one was given to me by the previous owner but I havent' yet put it in. I just put the inner fenders in last week etc. And I was doing the radiator work etc before installing the lower air dam. And I'm thinking it must be the 6cylinder because I've test fitted it as is and it fits tightly but obviously won't once I move the radiator mount et al to the V8 location.

So yes I'll have to shop for that for sure, and you're saying the upper air dam is different to uh? OK I'll need to get that too.

Thanks
Tom

Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 PM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents is with Coolcraft(made in the USA), I bought a 4 row for my French FH and a 3300 cfm electric fan from summit and there working great together. They offer both brass and aluminum type old school or new.

Cool Craft | Home Cool Craft

Quick Reply: F1 radiator replacement