Knocking noise Ford dealer hasnt figured out yet.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
460k&n
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking noise Ford dealer hasnt figured out yet.

2004 F150 5.4

I bought the truck in january of 09. The truck had phasers replaced from the previous owner. I noticed a knocking tapping noise last spring louder than any normal sound the motor makes. I took it to ford in the summer and they replaced the fan clutch thinking that was the problem lol. I take it home and still the same issue. That was all done last year.

The noise never went away. The sound started to get louder a month ago. Sometimes i will get a rattle/knock sound on cold startup. But 90% of the time the sound comes after the motor is warmed up. For an example, driving to walmart and coming back out like 10 minutes later. I start it up and there is that annyoing knocking sound. Can be heard through the wheel wells, and at the front of the motor. The sound doesnt go away above 1200rpm. It lasts for a couple minutes. Sounded more like lash adjusters to me.

2 weeks ago i took the truck to ford and they put in a new phaser on the left side of the motor and the sound was still present. They then put new lifters in the left hand side. They didnt hear the noise again and said it was good to go. I picked it up and took it home. 10 minutes later i started it back up and what do you know. Same noise again! Took it right back to the dealer. I just got it back friday. What they did was put some conditioner in the oil and ran it for a while then checked it over good and the sound isnt near as loud or happen as often. But it is still there. They were thinking there could be a piece of silicone in one of the oil passages caused be a faulty oil filter. I use nothing but motorcraft oil and filters. And change oil and filter at every 2500 miles. I have no idea about the previous 2 owners.

They tell me maybe there could be engine sludge. Which may be causing the problem as well. My thinking is, if there was sludge bad enough to cause the problem. Wouldnt I see any in my oil? And I would think they would see some when they took the valve cover off. Maybe im wrong.

Im going to drive it for a week to just give it a little time yet. Then ill be taking it back in. Im worried what they might find if they have to break it open further and my warrenty doesnt cover the issue. This problem is getting very annoying. I have never had a problem performance wise with this motor. It runs great other than the knocking.

Anybody else ever have the issue im having?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 PM
aft2005exp
Junior User
It sounds like we have a similar issue here. I have a 2005 EXP EB 4x4 5.4L 98K. I recently changed out the plugs, and cop wires. Prior to the change out, it was starting to run louder, a ticking sound that I figured was one or more of the injectors getting worn and ready to be replaced. I checked out all the injectors and they were all fine. But over the past few weeks, it has been getting louder just as you describe yours. The best way I can describe the sound is that it sounds like a Diesel. The truck still has pick up, but mileage has gotten worse, and it feels more sluggish. Ive asked around, and even posted on here before about this, but am still searching for the answer.

Right now the truck is at the shop. It sounds like an internal engine issue, but it has not yet been isolated. Thanks for the lead on the cam etc. If I find out anything Ill let you know.. Maybe my neighbor at his shop will figure it out soon, or at least I hope.

Good luck

Old 04-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A tapping 3V..better check the followers:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6459579
JL

Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Posters #1 and #2, you might be wise to take a sample of your oil to be analyzed by a lab that specializes it that. Most big diesel companies like International or Freightliner do this for their customers at a cost of about $25.00. Search online for oil analysis service. The results will tell you the condition of your engine, especially the bearings.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:27 PM
aft2005exp
Junior User
Okay, that is a great idea. I will do. The EXP is at the shop.. Still be looked at. Its been isolated to the passenger side. Gonna get the valve cover off and go from there. Ill keep you all posted.. Thanks for the lead on the followers, and the oil testing idea..Never would of thought of that one.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is relative to my earlier post.

This is the information you would get back from an oil analysis.

The company is Oil analyzers Inc, and the kit can be ordered from your AmsOil dealer.

Testing Package for Automotive/Light Truck (Engine Oil) Spectrographic Analysis Reported in Parts Per Million (PPM) Wear Metals Iron Chromium Lead Copper Aluminum Nickel Silver Titanium Contaminants Aluma/Silica (dirt) Potassium Sodium Water Soot (Diesel) Solids (Gasoline) Engine Oil Additives Boron Magnesium Calcium Barium Phosphorus Zinc Molybdenum Physical Properties Viscosity @ 100⁰C cSt Coolant Fuel % Additional Tests TBN (Base Number) Oxidation Nitration Graphical Analysis ( 3 or more consecutive tests) Analysis Recommendations (Based on test results and condemning limits)
Testing Package for Automotive/Light Truck (Gear Lube and ATF) Spectrographic Analysis Reported in Parts Per Million (PPM) Wear Metals Iron Chromium Lead Copper Aluminum Nickel Silver Titanium Contaminants Aluma/Silica (dirt) Potassium Sodium Water Oil Additives Boron Magnesium Calcium Barium Phosphorus Zinc Molybdenum Physical Properties Viscosity @ 40⁰C cSt Additional Tests TAN (Acid Number) Oxidation Nitration Graphical Analysis ( 3 or more consecutive tests) Analysis Recommendations (Based on test results and condemning limits