weight distributing hitch setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:00 AM
leix26
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weight distributing hitch setup

I recently upgraded my (open type) utility trailer to a 16' tandem axle with brakes. At the same time I purchased a weight distributing hitch. I am going to set up WDH in my drive with the trailer empty.My question is, once the head angle is set with the spacers and the trailer is empty will I have to adjust the angle again with varying loads? Or is it set for life? My loads will vary from empty to about 3500 lbs. Also should I run with the WDH on when the trailer is empty?
Thanks,
Tim

Old 04-18-2010, 03:24 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by leix26
I recently upgraded my (open type) utility trailer to a 16' tandem axle with brakes. At the same time I purchased a weight distributing hitch. I am going to set up WDH in my drive with the trailer empty.My question is, once the head angle is set with the spacers and the trailer is empty will I have to adjust the angle again with varying loads? Or is it set for life? My loads will vary from empty to about 3500 lbs. Also should I run with the WDH on when the trailer is empty?
Thanks,
Tim
Neat question. I don't see the type of tow vehicle you are running, but the WDH is intended to move weight off the rear axle and onto the front axle. When your trailer is empty and your truck level and hitched, does it even squat the rear of your vehicle? This is a relatively light weigh tow. When adding only light loads to the rear, I would not run the bars any more than you would with any vehicle. I'm guessing running empty you are only putting a couple of hundred pounds on the hitch.

With RVs, it is relatively simple as our weight is normally pretty much the same until we buy the next towable. In general, with the trailer fully loaded, I would shim my ball mount head, until the bars are parallel with the trailer tongue, when my truck and trailer are level, with your chains pulled up. Once I had my shims adjusted for the maximum load, if I had too much squat at partial loads, I would just adjust with the bar chain as I think it would only require about a link less tension. Not perfect, but I think close enough. Adjusting shims every time for small changes might prove to be a bit of a pain.

Here is a link etrailer.com | Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions. The short video has a lot of information, but I suspect just seeing the pictures will tell you what you need to know.

You might also go to the website of your WDH manufacturer as they often have the owner's manuals on line.

Best of luck,

Steve

Old 04-18-2010, 08:29 AM
leix26
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Steve for the answer. My vehicle is a 2002 F150 and no with the trailer empty there is no noticeable height difference. The hitch is new so I have the
owners manual and have read some info on the web. Most of the info is directed
towards travel trailer set up where the load is not variable.
Tim