Sponsored by: Moser

Engine Swapp

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:09 PM
77 truckrod
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Swapp

Hi to all. I have a 77 ford f100, right now it is completly fitted with the interior from the carpet to roof liner with the interior from a 75 ranger. Straight six with the three in the tree and 9 inch rear end. I have an 89 GM with the 5.7 reworked engine and 4 speed automatic trans. I know a lot of you dont like this sort of thing but i like the body of the ole ford, always have but I also like the drive train of the 80's chev/gm trucks. I want to put the 350 with the fourspeed in my ford. Any help would be greatly appricaited.
Can I use the gm mounts , i know i will have the drivshaft to make fit, crossmemeber from the gm as well. except for the lites im gonna swapp out the complete harness for the gm with the brain box in behind the dash of the ford. Im looking right now as i write this for a steering columbe from a 70s to 80s ford with tilt or should i use the one from the gm because of certain things like the cruise. this is not scary for me as i am a hd mechanic for 19 years now and run a shop. good with my hands.

mitch

Old 04-16-2010, 09:09 PM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 PM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Old 04-16-2010, 10:57 PM
77 truckrod
New User
good one, im laughing hard----not. its what ever man. i like the ford, love it, but never been much for one with their engines , i have always liked the gm drivtrains, i always thought a good truck would be ford body , suspension and gm drivetrain. no reason why i cant like both. the engine is hidden , its the ford everyone sees.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 PM
johnboy427
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry man but this is a Ford site we like Ford engines and drive trains. If you want to do this is will be totally a build it yourself ordeal. No one makes engine mounts and nothing off the shelf can be made to work. What engine do you have now? Why don't you like it there isn't any SBC from the 80s that will do any thing any better than a similar Ford engine that would most likely be a bolt in swap. As fort he 4spd auto if its a 700R4 in anything close to stock form it is a down grade in strength and reliability to any transmission that you truck came with from the factory. I understand that you already have the engine and are probably trying to save some money but really once you figure up every thing you will have to do to get it to work you probably aren't saving a penny. I am not a Chevy basher but would never consider your project just because it is so much extra work for no gain. You won't gain power reliability or milage.
-John

Old 04-17-2010, 10:08 AM
77 truckrod
New User
thx for the input. I have always been a ford guy, and yeah some years of chevy, my last one being a 85 step side short box with the wood floor. I sold it to move and make this truck a reality. this truck here is my 3rd this body style. I bought when I was younger a 76 ford that was already fitted with the 350 drivetrain. It was a sweet ride or I thought. My first vehicle was a 73 my dad gave to me when I turned 14 to fix up for two years and drove it for 3 years before I sold it. I can honestly say i have always liked these trucks as when me and my wife were living in Kamloops , British Columbia they are everywhere and all in real good shape number one cause there isnt salt on the road. It was then I realized I wanted another one except this time as I am a lot older now to keep. Myself Ive always had best results with the chev small block. and the late 80's to mid ninties they did for a brief few years had a truck that was awsome on fuel and went pretty good and those years seemed to have a tough tranny as I have had 6 of those trucks mostly being 4x4's that i did beat up and they never had trany problems nor did they ever leave me on the side of the road. I always said from expeirance that you could **** in the tank and go another 20 clicks. And I thought it would be a nice ride with the two fitted together. To me you cant beat the looks of ford but have always leaned more towrds the drivtrain from gm as I just have had better luck with them. Im not here to mock or put down ford in any way and I do know some of you would think I am wanting to do this but it is not like that for me, thats not how im trying to come accross. I have an 85 bronco my uncle bought brand new with the HO 351 and I wouldn't trade nor change a thing on it. still has the factory cassette deck.I am expecting a lot of work with this but I am not scared to do it. I was hoping if anyone seen or done similar they could give me any input on a few things like the steering columb as you did.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:15 AM
1977f250
Elder User
If your 350 is drilled and taped for front mounts and you used a engine plate it would not be all that hard. I had a 283 in a 57 ford back in the day. Very minor welding in the front mounts and the 57 F100 had bellhousing mounts and so did the late 50s Chevys. Was a very easy swap.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:20 AM
sdg0080
Senior User
you should shove a cummins into it if you want to run a differant motor.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:22 PM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sdg0080
you should shove a cummins into it if you want to run a differant motor.
at least that would be an improvement, and not a male to female sex change...ive said for years, if you want a chevy drive a chevy...nothing ticks me off more than seeing a nice older model Ford with a small block chevy in it, learn how to tune that Ford motor and you will be passing chevies all day long...

Old 04-17-2010, 04:02 PM
CheeksMcDuke
Senior User
Originally Posted by SwOkcOffRoader
at least that would be an improvement, and not a male to female sex change...ive said for years, if you want a chevy drive a chevy...nothing ticks me off more than seeing a nice older model Ford with a small block chevy in it, learn how to tune that Ford motor and you will be passing chevies all day long...
Not to mention its the most un-unique thing you can do to a non ch*vy vehicle, but its also a huge insult to an otherwise awesome truck. I love duking on ppl that say build that they're building a one off street rod that's SOOOOO unique and then stick a SBC in it....wow, thats NEVER been done before.

Do something that isn't done to death. For example, when is the last time you saw a Flathead Ford in one of these trucks?

Old 04-17-2010, 04:23 PM
AntiHero55
Senior User

seriously......