Upgrade Stereo to touch screen? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Upgrade Stereo to touch screen?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Senior User

astamp78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Upgrade Stereo to touch screen?

Just wondering,

My truck has just the regular CD Player, could I upgrade that to the OEM touch-screen nav system? (at least I think it is a touch screen?) Would it be a big/expensive thing to do?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Elder User

koboss1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
$3000. bucks for the head unit alone
Old 04-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Senior User

RoadJunkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yup, my dealer quoted $4K, turn-key.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Senior User

astamp78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Holy crap!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Posting Guru

jeff7825 has a good reputation on FTE.jeff7825 has a good reputation on FTE.jeff7825 has a good reputation on FTE.
You can find them cheaper on Ebay than getting one from the dealer. It would probably just be cheaper to go with an aftermarket double-din in-dash nav unit. That's what I plan on doing. Those will have more features and will be much cheaper.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:42 PM
New User

mitcht is starting off with a positive reputation.
would it work to install the factory nav unit or would the truck have to have Sync on it? some of the 08's, including mine were before Sync came out and it cannot be added.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Posting Guru

jeff7825 has a good reputation on FTE.jeff7825 has a good reputation on FTE.jeff7825 has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't think you would need the Sync system to install the factory nav. I know I have seen 08 model trucks with the factory nav, and I don't think that Sync came out until the 09 model year. You may just have to find a HU that does not use Sync, I am not sure though.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Senior User

rcherry11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My bro with a 2010 lariat has the 6 disc wants to replace with aftermarket navi, and was wondering if the sync would still work
Old 04-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Elder User

bnmccoy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bnmccoy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I added the factory nav unit to mine middle of last year. Spent just under $1000 buying new unit off of E-BAY then shipping to someone else (about $100) to program the NAV unit to work in my truck.

No factory sync. Mine has the 'telephone' button which does nothing for me; but it is the chrome trimmed *****. The earlier nav units did not have the chrome trim on the ***** but had a 'mute' button which later was replaced with a 'phone' button.

I like the Nav unit and have no regrets; it works fine with the Sirius, etc.

You can get more features with the aftermarket units though; like I wish my factory rear camera was displayed on the Nav unit rather than the mirror; and it can be done too but the people that make that mod want far too much money for same.

For the money, the TomTom I use in rentals or other vehicles has more bang for the buck!

Bob
Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Junior User

wolfeyes89 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff7825 View Post
You can find them cheaper on Ebay than getting one from the dealer. It would probably just be cheaper to go with an aftermarket double-din in-dash nav unit. That's what I plan on doing. Those will have more features and will be much cheaper.
This is totally true. I wanted to do the same to my Mark LT and found a lot of the factory head units on E-bay for 600-900 dollars. The installation seems simple enough, the only problem you might face is having to add antennas for the sat radio or the nav.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Senior User

hndacr is starting off with a positive reputation.
You absolutely can make the change. With having the 08 truck, you would be stuck with the Pioneer dvd based navigation system manufactured for Ford. Since your vehicle did not have nav or SYNC, you will not be able to have voice activation because it is done through the steering wheel controls. Other then that, the unit can be configured to all of the options of your specific truck. I sold several on ebay but do not currently have any to sell. If you had the 09 truck, you could get the new hard drive based unit manufactured by Clarion/Xanavi.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Elder User

Larry NCKS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astamp78 View Post
Just wondering,

My truck has just the regular CD Player, could I upgrade that to the OEM touch-screen nav system? (at least I think it is a touch screen?) Would it be a big/expensive thing to do?
I'm not far from you here in Lincoln tonight. I changed the factory premium sound 6 CD system to the Ford nav system. I added the Sirius antenna and module at the same time. I bought all from eBay excepting the Sirius antenna. I bought it from Ford. All was what would have been in the truck from the factory had I ordered it with the Nav system, save the GPS antenna which is all hidden under the dash anyway. I got it all, nav radio, Sirius module, both antennas, programmed and plug and play for less than $1400.00

About nine or ten months ago I made several posts with pictures of the process on the Super Duty forum. here's a link to the first of three:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...o-upgrade.html The other two are near this one.

I really enjoy the system. It's not SYNC, but it's good. It is touch screen.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:02 PM
New User

sredmyer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hndacr View Post
You absolutely can make the change. With having the 08 truck, you would be stuck with the Pioneer dvd based navigation system manufactured for Ford. Since your vehicle did not have nav or SYNC, you will not be able to have voice activation because it is done through the steering wheel controls. Other then that, the unit can be configured to all of the options of your specific truck. I sold several on ebay but do not currently have any to sell. If you had the 09 truck, you could get the new hard drive based unit manufactured by Clarion/Xanavi.
I have a 2008 job 1 F350 King Ranch that originaly had the Pioneer based nav and audiphile system.

I installed the Clarion/Xanavi harddrive based system from a 2010 truck in my 2008 truck about a month ago. The radio/amp install was pretty much plug and play (requires a special harness).

I now have everything including the voice recognition/control features and backup camera (in fact I have two cameras on my truck) working. The only part I still have to finish is hooking up Sync.

The nav system itself (without Sync) has excellent voice recognition and offers control over virtually all features of the radio/nav including entering destination address via voice control while driving down the road (no need to unlock nav entry). Getting the voice features working required changing out the steering wheel controls adding the Sync mirror (with the mic) and a bit of custom wiring but all in all it was not that difficult.

Now I am working to get the Sync features working. Sync really only adds bluetooth and media player control but having integrated bluetooth was the whole reason I undertook this upgrade to start with.

hndacr,

So you work for Clarion...can you share any info on what features this Clarion\Xanavi system has. I have looked at the diagnostics\settings screens and found settings for a bunch of stuff. Problem is I can't get anyone to explain to me what all those acronyms mean. I know what some of them are but there are several that I can not figure out. What I am trying to do is to determine what all features I want to get turned on before I send the unit off for programming. I want to know what features are available so I can try to figure out which features I might be able to get working in my truck. I know (from the settings screen) that the Sync system is not enabled in my unit (APIM is currently set to 0). Therefore I know I have to have the unit programmed if only to have that one feature turned on.

I think I read in one of your post where you are able to program these units. Is this true?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-23-2017, 11:59 AM
New User

Jim Weldon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Aftermarket is definitely cheaper, with added bonuses that you can't get with ford. Mine was under 200.00 navigation, touchscreen, hot spot, I just use the basics of what it does and I'm blown away. The only thing I hate is even when not using navi, there's a voice that pops up when you're speeding about 7 mph over. While towing that's fine but, while not. This truck can't drive 55.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:06 PM
New User

Jim Weldon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up Upgraded ford stereo

I actually signed up as a stereo dealer because the radio I wanted was too expensive, as it's just me listening, not the family ride. But, I got a 7" touchscreen, navi, all the extras, under 200.00. The only problem, with some aftermarket depth can be an issue. The metal plate that rests the back of the factory and where it's placed in the dash can make it hard to fit some aftermarkets. Please, measure before you have three touch screens on your dresser. Oh, and a wife livid at it all! Lol!