1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

New DP?? Intercooler? Well should I?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:00 PM
wycowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heath issues are just no fun, I empithize with you and your wife. I am happy to have some power loss. and have slightly cleaner exhaust. I gutted the Cat on my old truck. and my family could tell the difference.

Will 99 Ducting work with our trucks? would some thing like this work if I got a y pipe?
99-03 turbo intercooler and tubes 7.3 f250 superduty : eBay Motors (item 170466770429 end time Apr-29-10 19:17:39 PDT)

thanks j

Also I am seeing alot of info out about people Up-Grading their 99+ intercooler to some thing else would it be better for me to get a cheaper 99 intercooler or a better more exspencive after maket cooler like the banks?

Old 04-11-2010, 03:40 PM
TheTowingCowboy
Posting Guru
The banks intercooler they sell for our trucks (The kit) is the same as the 99 stock intercooler (From what I have heard) I would personally go with the 99 Stock intercooler, then see how much it helps. But a rounder, nonstock DP will do wonders. And when i was younger is was a asthmatic, and I could go around are Belarus when it first started or I would cough and hack, thank God I grew out of it, and I know that certian high strength cleaners my mother uses will just knock me for a whirl. But hope you can get your EGT's down so it much easier to tow. Also IDK if you would want to look into a chip with a tune specifically for towing, cause it may be alot better too. I also say if your really worried go with Methenal Injection.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:19 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
None of the pipes off of any truck will be a direct hook up. I just got a pipe for each side off of a SD 7.3 and one extra one and cut and patched them together to fit. Banks may be a direct fit but 1500 bucks compared to I have 400 in mine. Little more work but well worth the savings. Only thing is make sure its an early 99 spyder.

That item you showed would work but way to expensive. Shop around and youwill get better prices. I got my 6.0 cooler for 125. Some get them cheaper than that. I know a guy that's got lots of IC parts up here in SD. He doesn't however have an early 99 spyder. PM me if you want his number. He is a real nice guy and could ship it to you. He's shipping me a 17* HPOP off an 02 SD right now. I know he's got intercoolers too.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 PM
wycowboy
Elder User
If I do my own set rather than a kit, how much should I be paying? how much is too much for cooler, Pipes, Spider,

Will the banks Y pipe work instead of an early 99? I think I can get one for around $200

Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 PM
wycowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
None of the pipes off of any truck will be a direct hook up. I just got a pipe for each side off of a SD 7.3 and one extra one and cut and patched them together to fit. Banks may be a direct fit but 1500 bucks compared to I have 400 in mine. Little more work but well worth the savings. Only thing is make sure its an early 99 spyder.

That item you showed would work but way to expensive. Shop around and youwill get better prices. I got my 6.0 cooler for 125. Some get them cheaper than that. I know a guy that's got lots of IC parts up here in SD. He doesn't however have an early 99 spyder. PM me if you want his number. He is a real nice guy and could ship it to you. He's shipping me a 17* HPOP off an 02 SD right now. I know he's got intercoolers too.
Did you have to weld you pipes together or did yo do it some other way.. I don't have a mig set up here.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
x2 on what Darin said. I bought my early 99 spider from Ford's for $75 three years ago. Yes, its not a direct bolt on but a lot cheaper then Banks. What I did was use exhaust pipe the size of the intercooler pipes and cut two short pieces. Then I welded some heavy wire around each end of the pipe so the boots would not slip off. These 'extentions' go up top by the spider with double boots on each side. Other then that its pretty straight forward install.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:35 PM
wycowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by 427 fordman

I will have to get that # form you I will PM you..

Had any one tryed tuning our stock Y pipe around back wards to make the inlet on the intercooler?

Just a thought.

Well now I need to scrounge up the Time and 4 to do this.

thanks J

Old 04-12-2010, 02:53 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wycowboy
I will have to get that # form you I will PM you..

Had any one tryed tuning our stock Y pipe around back wards to make the inlet on the intercooler?

Just a thought.

Well now I need to scrounge up the Time and 4 to do this.

thanks J
I copy and paste this in my PC, that can helps your and give you an idea about fabbin up the y-pipe:
. it's actually quite simple. i cut the flange off from the stock pipe, then i cut the top off of the "Y". i flipped the "Y" around, so that the drivers side outlet is now on the passenger side and vise-versa. on top of this is a 3" 90* elbow that i sliced a bit off to get the angle that i wanted. for the hot side i just found a piece of pipe at the local napa that the factory flange would slide into. i cut a bit off from it to shorting it up a bit then using a couple of reducer's (flipped around) i got it up to 3". make sure the "Y" section is mounted on the truck and the hot side is mounted on the truck before welding the two together to make sure that they are positioned correctly. just tack them, then take them off and weld up them up good. I’m sure that you could do it with out welding the hot and cold sides together, but i wanted to. i figured it would help keep from blowing the boots off. You might want slide down to the local exhaust shop and ask if you can scavenge (sp) there scrap bin's for short chunks of exhaust pipe. I’ve done that a couple times for projects like this. Good luck

and check this link:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562427990EthhDZ

Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM
wycowboy
Elder User
nice photos. and nice Job with the y pipe. unfortunatly i am not in Wy where i have axcess to a welder. I am at the in laws in NV and don.t have a shop.

how much did you notice your EGT's dropped after you put the IC in?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 PM
wycowboy
Elder User
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Exclamation

nice photos. and nice Job with the y pipe. unfortunatly i am not in Wy where i have axcess to a welder. I am at the in laws in NV and don.t have a shop.

how much did you notice your EGT's dropped after you put the IC in?
I havent installed mine yet, but I just finished to get every thing to install it, I have read that at least you will decrease 200*.

The 6.0 IC is the better for our OBS IMHO. Its the same as I have in my shop, and its cheap: BUY IT NOW.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Wink

Here is another example of DIY Y pipe with the stock one (the encircled in red are the parts of the original OEM y pipe). Sorry that you cant weld, but maybe some exhaust shop.
BTW I bought an early 99 Y pipe to install. The DIY I have posted, were founded searching in the forums.

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Here is another link to the whole install. Go down about 3/4 of the thread and you will see what this guy did to modify his stock y pipe.

6.0L intercooler install in '92-'96 body - Fourdoorbronco forums

Hope that gives you some ideas along with all the other ideas everybody else has. haha

Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM
wycowboy
Elder User
Thank that looks good!