Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Axle suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Axle suggestions?

I have a 1956 F600 that I'm doing a unique build on. I plan on making a goose neck trailer down the line to haul most of my stuff rather than a flat bed. There are a lot of reasons for this, without making this topic about it it's mainly because it will work tremedously better with my business.

However I want the truck to be a 4x4. I don't mean a mountain-path in the mud 4x4, but something what I can drive it in bad snow (which is very common here) and get to where ever I need if it arises. I've wanted it to be a 4x4 since I started searching for my truck, long before I found it.

The current rear axle is a 2-speed, with 5.83 and 8.11

Now I don't know the larger truck axles, I had planned on just putting in some F-250/350 axles... but I'm finding myself more and more liking the idea of it being more heavy duty, even if it's not a flatbed.

I figure I'll probably have to get a pair, the chances of finding an axle the same gearing seem very slim to me. Truthfully I have NO idea where to look other than like craigslist for such parts, or what they would run.

The 272 in it right now probably won't ever be enough for me, so I'll need new trans with the engine as well, and I'm sure these big trucks have different transfer cases too.

I'm working on a budget, I definitely can't afford thousands for axles.
What I'd like is to be able to drive it daily, and truthfully at this point I don't know if I will be able to with large axles, or rather the gearing that seems to come with them. I'm sure I'll never use the amount of weight they can handle, but it be nice to keep it all large truck parts. Better too much than too little.

The front axle is a drop axle, but the steering is HORRIBLE on it, just the technology with it I'm sure. The brakes where once switched to air, then back again. I'm going to bleed out the whole thing soon and hopefully they'll actually kick in before that last inch in the pedal. I figure though it would cheaper to replace these axles than to get parts for them that are in good condition that are no longer made [to my knowledge]. Plus, the whole 4x4 thing.

Suggestions? Places to look? I'm currently in Sheridan, WY (its dead center and 15 minutes from the border of Montana), but I'm not planning to swap out these parts till after I move, mainly because finding what I need and current project budgets. The space between the rear tires in the back is about 50" and to the outside about 90" or so (just rough estimates)

Old 04-08-2010, 12:13 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Without being an expert, by far, on the larger trucks, if I was to undertake this type of project, I'd start looking at late 60's-and-up 4x4 (6x6) F600's.

Or maybe even a Superduty F450/550 with 4x4 already in it. You might be able to find one cheap somewhere that's been wrecked, but you're still talking "thousands" no matter which way you play it.

The earlier F600, if you can find them in 4x4, might be a better target. You might even want to think about using the entire chassis and putting your '56 cab on it. WIth a flatbed, or custom goose-neck hitch w/flatbed, you really don't care about matching the wheelbase, just slap the cab on the newer chassis.

Dunno... interesting project, though

Old 04-08-2010, 12:17 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Old 04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First question for you, how much weight do you intend to carry and/or tow?
Second question is what final drive ratio would you like?
Third question is what kind of wheels do you want to use, and do you want DRW?

I hesitate to recommend medium truck axles for what you are doing, since they are heavy, and somewhat expensive. If you are going to convert to 4x4, stay away from a 2 speed rear, it will just complicate your life. An Eaton, Spicer, or Rockwell single speed rear axle with a ratio to match a front drive axle is the way to go if you want medium truck axles in a 4x4. And if you use a Rockwell or Timken medium truck transfer case, it will be a very heavy driveline.

Another thing to consider is your wheelbase. All of the medium truck transfer cases that I have seen are divorced mount. By the time you string together a transmission, transfer case, the shaft between them, and the rear drive shaft, the wheelbase you have shortened to will leave you with a rear driveshaft so short you will have u-joint life and vibration problems.

Here is something to consider. For axles, a Dana 70 rear and a Dana 60 front. The Dana 60 fronts can be had in Ford flavor (driver side center section) or the other flavor (passenger side center section). Pick which one after you select a transfer case. For transmission and transfer case, try to use an integral mount transfer case to have a shorter length.

What I would do is look at used/wrecked/rusted out 1 ton 4x4 trucks from the late 70s and the 80s. Get the whole truck. That way you have a matched driveline, and you can use any frame crossmembers or brackets you need from the donor truck. Going this way would give you the most flexibility in final drive ratio, wheels and tires. It will also make doing the brakes easier, as you can go with a modern front disc/rear drum setup. Updating brakes on medium truck axles is more involved and expensive, but if you need 7500+ pound front and 15000+ pound rear axles, you are stuck in medium truck territory.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dana super 60 front, Dana 135 rear...

The Dana Super 60 is a upgraded version of the Dana 60 front axle. It is only used, so far, in 2005-2009 Ford F-450 and F-550 trucks.
Differences in the Dana Super 60 versus the regular Dana 60:
Larger and thicker diameter steel tubes (3.75 inches diameter and 1/2 in thick)
Larger ring and pinion which increase the contact area and overall strength.
Larger Universal Joints which increase strength and steering angle.
Super 60s use 1550 Universal Joints.
Net formed spider gears for increased strength.
All made with 35 Spline axle shafts.

Of course a normal D60 front and D70 rear would work unless you really need the load capacity. The Super D60 is a 6k axle and the D135 is a 13k axle. There's also a D80 that's a medium truck axle. If you go with a D70 look for the D70U or D70HD. It should be cast on the pumpkin.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 PM
scootyg69
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would look for a 80's 4x4 international. There are quite a few out there for cheap. take the whole driveline, engine, tranny, transfer case and put it under the '56. Not sure but if you are a good fabricator then place the '56 body on the international chassis. Might have to do body mount mods but that would be cake. You could also look for an old multi fuel duece and use the axles out of that plus the engine will run on pretty much anything. Good luck...

Old 04-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

I think given what I'm going to be using it for F350 axles may prove to work better. No sense in adding a whole lot of weight when it's never going to be used. It's a little bit down the road... now to find what exactly will fit best and have duallys, lol.