1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

10K Mod Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:07 PM
msmenne17
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10K Mod Mileage

What are people's experiences long term with the 10K Mod for mileage?

I built up a 10K+4.7K combo (using c00nhunerjoe's mod), went as far as almost cutting the wire, but chickened out. If I screw up the wire, there just isn't alot of extra to play with.

I don't have good luck with even seemingly simple things, so I've gotten very gunshy with my baby. I went to swap my thermostat and ended up with a new water pump because of a sheared bolt head. I ended up with a new radiator after taking out the fan assembly. I punctured the top cap putting the bolts for the shroud back in for "safe keeping."

If I have a reasonable expectation of safety of the transmission and other parts with a reasonable expectation of a half decent increase in mileage, I may actually do it.

This is my DD and I don't have a backup. My wife and I work in two different directions (18 miles for me, 35 miles for her), so when either vehicle is down, it is a pretty big hardship.

I don't have the money for a chip right now. I know that's the best way to go. I don't know when I'll have the money for one. I have a new furnace to save for.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, and with your luck I would suggest not to do it. You are really not going to hurt the transmission but I doubt you would get any millage increase. The idle is usually rougher and unless you make a really good connection it could leave you stranded. I'm not knocking the mod as some like it. I did try it but took it out as I did see that much improvement.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
the resistor mod is like the bb mod for the FPR, its something you really cannot screw up, unless you a big dummy.

If you read coons post, he will tell you which wire to cut, you cannot mistake the smiley face reference.

There are different ways you can go about it as well.

The Resistor mod could increase gas mileage, but not much if any.
Your truck will run a tad better depending on the resistor combo. some have used upwards of 30 to 40k resistance on theirs.

Midnight Mods: ICP Resistor Mod – Version 1

here is the resistor mod, my way. It says version 1, because I had planed to do others, but I got a chip, and took the mod off.
This mod was well worth the effort when I did it, and for hot swapping purposes, it really was easy. just needed a screwdriver.

Some members on here have dyno tested their trucks, which i might have linked to in the article, with different resistor combo's showing the HP/TQ improvements.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
the resistor mod is like the bb mod for the FPR, its something you really cannot screw up, unless you a big dummy.

If you read coons post, he will tell you which wire to cut, you cannot mistake the smiley face reference.

There are different ways you can go about it as well.

The Resistor mod could increase gas mileage, but not much if any.
Your truck will run a tad better depending on the resistor combo. some have used upwards of 30 to 40k resistance on theirs.

Midnight Mods: ICP Resistor Mod – Version 1

here is the resistor mod, my way. It says version 1, because I had planed to do others, but I got a chip, and took the mod off.
This mod was well worth the effort when I did it, and for hot swapping purposes, it really was easy. just needed a screwdriver.

Some members on here have dyno tested their trucks, which i might have linked to in the article, with different resistor combo's showing the HP/TQ improvements.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:44 AM
drivembig
Senior User
Well I'm one of the big dummies that screwed mine up. Seems that somehow it shorted out and fried the vref circuit in the PCM. So Ford says. Anyway, I'm awaiting a new PCM now.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Yea, thats why I did it the way I did, to prevent that stuff.
Some of the other ways are questionable.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 AM
msmenne17
Postmaster
Thanks for the responses. My gut tells me I may get a slight improvement in mileage. Most of my driving is highway (county roads), but the thing that gets me is the hills. I live in an area with alot of river valleys, so no matter what route I choose, I have to go down into the river valley, then back up again. I set my cruise at 55 and sometimes I can get up the hill without downshifting. It depends on the day. I'm guessing if I could get more torque on the low end, I could avoid downshifting and therefore use less fuel.

I figure more HP can't be a bad thing for mileage on the highway. Still undecided, though I'm leaning towards doing it.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:35 AM
boxwrenchesareslow
Junior User
ya, just try it out and see what you think. it will idle rougher with over 10k resistance but power is really noticable. if you use quick disconnects or bullet style connectors you can always take it out and just plug the two back together.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Mine ran like crap with anything over 14.7k in it. Was ok with 10k and 14.7k but really didn't have any more power.

The 140v IDM mod helped mine run better. I'd skip the 10k mod and save for a chip instead and just wait.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:43 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

mine ran best with 15.7k. i made an adjustable box so i could try out different combos. but the chip is the best way to go

Old 03-30-2010, 04:23 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
This has been my experience:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...d-results.html

I've had no problems with this mod. Make sure your fuel pressure is in spec and the screen is clean for best results.

These figures are as stated in the thread and BEFORE the exhaust upgrade. I haven't done any 'testing' since the exhaust system was installed.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:44 PM
armstrongfordtrucks
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just made a 140 mile trip on the 15.6k mod. I never went over 55 mph and used cruise so I could be sure of the speed. I traveled through 3 small towns of 35, 45 mph so I would guess that 95 % at 55 mph. Got 20 mpg on the trip, 15.6k mod definately seat of the pants difference. Well worth the $6 dollars for the resistors. Also I am running 80 % wmo to 20 % diesel. My truck in stock except for the 15.6k mod and removed cat and muffler. 1997 F-350 XLT AUTO PSD 4X4. Todays temp is 73 degrees, but when I left it was 41 degrees.(using c00nhunerjoe's mod), THANKS

Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
I tried a bunch of different resistors and never really felt or saw any differences. I think I was up to 40k and didn't even notice any difference. It really seems to depend on the truck.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:14 AM
drivembig
Senior User
Originally Posted by armstrongfordtrucks
I just made a 140 mile trip on the 15.6k mod. I never went over 55 mph and used cruise so I could be sure of the speed. I traveled through 3 small towns of 35, 45 mph so I would guess that 95 % at 55 mph. Got 20 mpg on the trip, 15.6k mod definately seat of the pants difference. Well worth the $6 dollars for the resistors. Also I am running 80 % wmo to 20 % diesel. My truck in stock except for the 15.6k mod and removed cat and muffler. 1997 F-350 XLT AUTO PSD 4X4. Todays temp is 73 degrees, but when I left it was 41 degrees.(using c00nhunerjoe's mod), THANKS
Did I read that right......your running 80% Waste Motor Oil to 20% Disiel? How are you cleaning your wmo? Thanks.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:23 AM
armstrongfordtrucks
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
filtering it several times ending at a 2 micron Perma cool fuel filter and water seperator that is from simmit racing.

Quick Reply: 10K Mod Mileage