Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Another one is coming back to life!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:47 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking that if a source for the tube with the right inner diameter could be found, the outer diameter would be easy to turn down the ends and a step wouldn't matter anyway (between the manifolds at least.) I'm assuming there are grooves in it for the o-rings at each end anyway.

A steel plate with bolt holes for the mounting holes, an o-ring to seal off the ports, and a connection to a regulated air supply would be idea. Pressurize it with air, and submerge under water and watch for leaks.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Air Intrusion?

So I finally got a chance to get the oil cooler swapped into this truck. Two new batteries, and dang it, 15 seconds of cranking, no fire. Wait a couple minutes, another 15 seconds or so, and it caught!! Think that with it running recently (in March) that there shouldn't be any air intrusion in the system!!

I have to change out the firewall solenoid, had to cross it to get it started. (Will check the connections first though, just in case, but I have an extra one here off one of the parts trucks.)

I only ran it a couple minutes, I haven't refilled the antifreeze yet, have to pick up more additive and antifreeze so I can refill the system. There was a couple teaspoons of oil in the antifreeze, so a charge of soap and water likely should be put through it, but since we seem to be getting colder temps a bit early this fall I think I'll go for the strong stuff right off, and hope that I can get the oil to collect at the top of the rad. (I'll likely unhook the overflow tank for a while so it just leaks out.)

I thought I'd try driving a couple hundred yards while it was running, threw it in reverse, and nothing. What the.....?? Then remembered that the transfer case was in neutral from pushing it up to the shop!! Oops!!

Seems that the gauges, lights, etc all work, brakes work okay, but are rusty from sitting around, so likely will tear through the pads pretty quick. The rotors look okay though, so maybe they'll come back with some driving. Going to have to pick up a couple cans of fuel to dump in it, seems they are both around 3/8 or under. I'll try to grab some tomorrow, and some antifreeze, so I can start running it longer.

Oh, and the heater fan motor is squealing terribly, so will try oiling it up, but might start checking inventory for another one just in case. Next will be to pull the front bumper/home-made front hitch, and start mounting a plow harness on it. (In the midst of rebuilding a plow that I just picked up Saturday too, and have a complete plow, harness etc coming tomorrow that I just made a deal on too!) There's a day or two of patching to do on the cab floor, under the drivers floor is in rough shape, but I think that is the only spot.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to hear! Keep us updated on it!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Heck right now I have to keep ME updated on them, I just figured it out, there's 4 partial or complete plow harness' here, (of course only two fit the Fords directly, and there's drilling etc involved there too.) When I get them all gathered up there will be 5 blades, but one is only a 7', (the others are all 7.5's) so will likely try to sell the 7' for a jeep or smaller truck owner.

Hopefully I can get a set or two of plow wings to add onto the 7.5's too, they really bump up the snow that one can handle.

I'm in the midst of tearing apart the blade I got on the weekend, it's like new as far as wear goes, but has sat outside rusting for 20 years! The pivot pins (allows the plow to trip forward when you hit something) were seized solid, got one half freed up, cut the pins, and will make new pins and bushings to weld into the other half maybe tomorrow night. Some new hardware, and a new pair of cylinders and hoses for that one and it will be ready to plow!