1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight conversion on an XL

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:05 PM
glennemay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did you replace your lights with?

OK. So rather than start a brandy new thread. I thought I would try to breath some new life into this one.

So I have an '04 350 Dually. I was washing the salt off of the plow and framework during some well deserved warm weather this past weekend and noticed that one of my sealed beam headlights (Yes it's an XL) has a copious amount of moisture behind the lens. So I know that in the very near future, I will be freezing my **** off swapping a headlight.

What I started to think was it would be a great time to swap to an H13 or 9008 bulb.

I started looking on eBay and LMC Truck.

There are a fair number of options out there. What I would like to know is what you guys have replaced your headlights with, why and what you like and dislike about them.

Personally I want something bright. I mean REALLY bright. I am frequently on un-improved roadways in the dark and these ridiculous bulbs I have in here seriously cannot hold a candle to even my maglight. I also want something with a decent spread of light. focused projectors might not be all that appropriate for my needs. but either way.

lets hear, and if possible see what you have. Before I spend some good money on bad parts it's always nice to hear what someone else thinks.

Thanks for your information.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:47 PM
SD Dually
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a 2006 XL and one of the first things I done to it when I bought it was change out the headlights, whew, couldn't even tell if those things were on or not! I changed them out with Sylvania SilverStar high performance ones and it made a big difference.

The headlights in my new XL dually seam to be a lot better than the ones that came with the '06, not sure if it is because they are jewel beam (or what ever they are called) or what.
I have kicked the idea around to change them out too with the SilverStar Ultra's, but I have caught wind that the factory headlight wiring may not handle the brighter headlights, but then again I don't know how true that is, as for the SilverStar high performance in the sealed beams it never was a problem for my '06 as they were in there for about 7 years with no problems.

SD Dually

Old 02-03-2014, 12:12 AM
SD Dually
Senior User
As you mean really bright, you may want to look into HID headlights, though I don't think they offer those in a sealed beam, you would possibly have to change out your headlight housings for the bulb type (jewel beam style), or look into some off road LED lights.

SD Dually

Old 02-03-2014, 06:23 AM
glennemay
Senior User
Originally Posted by SD Dually
As you mean really bright, you may want to look into HID headlights, though I don't think they offer those in a sealed beam, you would possibly have to change out your headlight housings for the bulb type (jewel beam style), or look into some off road LED lights.

SD Dually
I very much have the HID kits on the table. My concern with that is I remember reading somewhere that because I have a plow on the truck I may have the wrong harness through the plow system to do it???

If anyone has any insight on that one I would not be adverse to hearing it.

It may come down to just swapping out for better sealed beams if thats what it is to be. but the price of converting is not all that much higher. I see listings on eBay for aero style headlights all over the place.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F250-F350-EXCURSION-CLEAR-BLACK-HEADLIGHTS-WHITE-LED-PARKING-LIGHTS-PAIR-/390761601299?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5afb34d913&vxp=mtr
or

New 99 00 01 02 03 04 F250 Super Duty Excursion Headlight Conversion HD Style | eBay

and LMC has a conversion kit that does not force me to change out the whole corner piece as well.

Aesthetics are not my biggest concern with this swap. I am looking for the most bang for my buck. I dont see me getting rid of this truck for at least another 5 years so my changes are to make it better to use. Lights are definitely one of the things I need to make better.

Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:49 AM
glennemay
Senior User
Originally Posted by glennemay

I very much have the HID kits on the table. My concern with that is I remember reading somewhere that because I have a plow on the truck I may have the wrong harness through the plow system to do it???

If anyone has any insight on that one I would not be adverse to hearing it.

It may come down to just swapping out for better sealed beams if thats what it is to be. but the price of converting is not all that much higher. I see listings on eBay for aero style headlights all over the place.

Video Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F250-F350-EXCURSION-CLEAR-BLACK-HEADLIGHTS-WHITE-LED-PARKING-LIGHTS-PAIR-/390761601299?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item5afb34d913&vxp=mtr

or

New 99 00 01 02 03 04 F250 Super Duty Excursion Headlight Conversion HD Style | eBay

and LMC has a conversion kit that does not force me to change out the whole corner piece as well.

Aesthetics are not my biggest concern with this swap. I am looking for the most bang for my buck. I dont see me getting rid of this truck for at least another 5 years so my changes are to make it better to use. Lights are definitely one of the things I need to make better.

Thanks again.
Can't believe no one has much to say for a headlight replacement.. LOL

Old 02-04-2014, 07:53 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
if you want REALLY bright then i would suggest some auxillary lighting, like an LED bar or some HID housings.

for an improvement over your XL lights you could go with the one-piece replacements you listed, or get some 02-04 style composite housings that keep your current corner lights and blinkers like i think you also mentioned above. i put some on my '99 and it was a noticable improvement even over the composite 99-01 units that were on it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...1999-f350.html

Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 AM
SD Dually
Senior User
I thought these HID headlights have a ballast that plugs in each headlight harness and the HID bulbs themselves plug into the supplied ballast?

I might be lost here on this but seems like heard somewhere thats how they hook up.

SD Dually

Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 AM
glennemay
Senior User
Originally Posted by bbender85
if you want REALLY bright then i would suggest some auxillary lighting, like an LED bar or some HID housings.

for an improvement over your XL lights you could go with the one-piece replacements you listed, or get some 02-04 style composite housings that keep your current corner lights and blinkers like i think you also mentioned above. i put some on my '99 and it was a noticable improvement even over the composite 99-01 units that were on it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...1999-f350.html
Thanks for the link. Auxiliary lighting is absolutely an option. I have a slight problem. I am color blind and wiring is not a strong suite. So I tend to avoid it until I have an opportunity with a friend who is competent and not color stupid such as myself.

What brought this to light (all pun intended) is the moisture in my headlight. I know I am going to have to replace it (I do things when needed most of the time. Just dont have the heart to spend money on something just because I want to) so I figure this is a good time to look into it.

Originally I was looking at the ones at LMC that sit in the same brackets and look like a sealed beam. but then I started to think and wonder.

Being that it is an XL, I dont even have the luxury of fog / driving lights. I keep looking at ones to add, but again. I'm cheap.

Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by glennemay
..I have a slight problem. I am color blind and wiring is not a strong suite. So I tend to avoid it until I have an opportunity with a friend who is competent and not color stupid such as myself.
if the MA chapter is anything like the MI chapter, i bet there are at least a handful of guys that would be glad to have a working get-together and help ya out.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:37 AM
glennemay
Senior User
Originally Posted by bbender85
if the MA chapter is anything like the MI chapter, i bet there are at least a handful of guys that would be glad to have a working get-together and help ya out.
Maybe if I offered to freshen up the ice in the cooler. Of course no matter how I play that one the weather has to be just a LITTLE FREAKIN' WARMER!!! Argh!

Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 PM
BigDogSemperFi
New User
I was inquiring has anyone changed out from composite lights on a 99 ford f 250 to an 04 F350 clear lamps?

is it relatively hard to do this or an easy task ?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I upgraded my 99 head lights to an 02-04 style from 1aauto, also used some clear RTV sealer and sylvania siverstar 9007's and it is a world of difference.

Before
Name:  IMG_20140131_193328_zpsq7wwawp1.jpg
Views: 8746
Size:  13.9 KB
Old housing with new bulb package
Name:  IMG_20140201_202019_zpsz0c2vds8.jpg
Views: 8795
Size:  110.0 KB
New housing
Name:  IMG_20140201_154101_zpsctdknkzu.jpg
Views: 8773
Size:  125.4 KB
After
Name:  IMG_20140201_204151_zpsmb5af6fo.jpg
Views: 8755
Size:  17.0 KB

Old 02-07-2014, 09:34 PM
BigDogSemperFi
New User
did you have to purchase light Connectors for yours as well ?

and was there a lot of conversion to put these styles in ?

I bought my clears today need to buy bulbs tomorrow and connectors somewhere and one screw adjuster for the head assembly

thank you

Vince

Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
The only thing I would reccomend is a couple extra retaining clips for the top, and a lot of patience. When I was at the FTE meet it took about an hour to remove 2 clips. the rest is farely simple. No conversion peices are required and they use the same 9007 bulb as before.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 AM
BigDogSemperFi
New User
Sounds great !!

Thank you I got the idea couple weeks ago to change out because I could not see the road well. I figured they would have something to adapt or change over. I'm going today to buy my ring clips for the bulbs at O'reillys though I do not know if they carry extra spare adjuster lamp screws one is missing on the ones I bought but for 60 for 2 assym that is not too bad of a deal.

thank you
I'll let ya know how it goes

Vince

Quick Reply: Headlight conversion on an XL