1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 5.4L SD Exhaust recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 03:31 PM
superdutygt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 5.4L SD Exhaust recommendations

Hey all i'm looking to put an aftermarket exhaust on my truck. Probably going to go with a dual exhaust setup and was wondering what ones everyone has tried and what was preferred. Also any ideas of a tuner tha tmaybe i should purchase to go with it will be appreciated too

Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you want power or noise? If you're just after more racket from your exhaust,then pretty much any aftermarket system or aftermarket muffler replacement will get the job done. If you're after power-you're wasting time and money with exhaust.
For a tuner-call Mike @ 5 Star Tuning. Use the search function and you'll see many happy customers.
JL

Old 03-23-2010, 10:24 PM
bdjupiter
Elder User
I went with a Gibson cat back on mine and truthfully I wish I would have just bought a new muffler and saved myself a ton of money. Your most meaningful gain will be from a tuner, but beware that you have to run premium and it's almost like the gift that keeps on giving---you will feel it everytime you fill up.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 PM
akford351
Posting Guru
I agree for power you can't beat a tuner. I've used SCT tuners from Troyer and 5-Star with good results. If you don't want to run premium you can get custom tunes for regular 87 that give good performance as well.

For exhaust this looks like a good catback:
Dynomax Performance 19449 - Dynomax Super Turbo Exhaust Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Its a Dynomax SI/DO kit with 2.5" tailpipes. It uses a Super Turbo muffler and while it won't be super loud, it'll have a nice deep tone. I've installed a couple kits from Dynomax, one on a Ranger and another on a S10, both fit and finish was very good.

Gibson makes a few different catbacks as well, but I've been less than impressed with the durability of their systems. You can always get a custom setup done at an exhaust shop as well.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:18 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Actually, the 05+ gasoline engines have fairly good exhaust systems already. This is why about the only thing you'll get with a cat-back system is a louder truck and a lighter wallet.

Don't get me wrong. It is possible to install a system that will give you some power gain, but you're going to drop some major money and replace everything from the manifold to the tailpipe. Long tube headers, high flow catalytic converters and an X-pipe would be just a start. Since this isn't available in kit form, you'll have to engineer and weld it up yourself or pay even more money to have it done.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:07 AM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new y-pipe

I was wondering if anyone has done this mod to their Gasser V-8 or V-10?
5.4L V8 : SPD Performance
I recently picked up this kit from a military guy who bought it but sold his truck before he installed it, and so I got a decent deal on it complete in the box and better yet no shipping. I hope to install in the next few weeks, but my truck does not fit completely in my little garage, and I need to wait till it warms up a bit more si I can fire up my compressor and grinder, and then follow it up with the wore feed welder adn get this new Y-pipe installed.
Just curious if the power gains they claim are even close. It is alot cheaper than a complete new exhaust, and seems to open up the exhast over the factory "y" pipe.
Thanks in advance,
Garry in Alaska

Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by garryk6
I was wondering if anyone has done this mod to their Gasser V-8 or V-10?
5.4L V8 : SPD Performance
I recently picked up this kit from a military guy who bought it but sold his truck before he installed it, and so I got a decent deal on it complete in the box and better yet no shipping. I hope to install in the next few weeks, but my truck does not fit completely in my little garage, and I need to wait till it warms up a bit more si I can fire up my compressor and grinder, and then follow it up with the wore feed welder adn get this new Y-pipe installed.
Just curious if the power gains they claim are even close. It is alot cheaper than a complete new exhaust, and seems to open up the exhast over the factory "y" pipe.
Thanks in advance,
Garry in Alaska
Garry. I can't say whether or not you will see the gains they advertise, but yes, this y-pipe will benefit you.

The 2V gas engines have a y-pipe that is necked down. From what I have read on this forum it has something to do with a reduction of some kind of "fluttering" noise. The 3V engines don't have this.

If you look at the pictures on this eBay auction, you'll see a good picture of a factory y-pipe.

00-04 Ford F250-F350 6.8L V10 Gas Saving Y Pipe : eBay Motors (item 220574876010 end time Mar-29-10 10:10:16 PDT)

Old 03-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
I went with a Dynomax dual system on my 05 FX4. Here's the sound.

YouTube - Ford 2005 F250 FX4 Dual exhaust

Old 03-24-2010, 09:23 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
But beware that you have to run premium.
Its a common misconception that you need to run premium fuel to get a decent gain from a tuner, not true at all. A good tune makes a healthy difference even on 87 fuel.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:11 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by redford
Garry. I can't say whether or not you will see the gains they advertise, but yes, this y-pipe will benefit you.

The 2V gas engines have a y-pipe that is necked down. From what I have read on this forum it has something to do with a reduction of some kind of "fluttering" noise. The 3V engines don't have this.

If you look at the pictures on this eBay auction, you'll see a good picture of a factory y-pipe.

00-04 Ford F250-F350 6.8L V10 Gas Saving Y Pipe : eBay Motors (item 220574876010 end time Mar-29-10 10:10:16 PDT)
Thanks redford, I couldn't pass the deal on the exact one you posted. Got it for $50 new with all paperwork and no shiping!
Hope to install soon.
But my question to all the 00-0? 2V gas owners, is, Has anyone installed this mod, and if so, what type of improvement did you see?
Thanks all, and I hope this helps others looking at exhaust mods on their5.4 and 6.8L Tritons.
Garry in Alaska

Old 03-24-2010, 06:36 PM
akford351
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Downriver Thunder
I went with a Dynomax dual system on my 05 FX4. Here's the sound.
That's sounds great!! Plenty of volume... can you get another sound clip of that, from further away like 6-10 ft. or so? Thinking about re-doing the exhaust on my Dad's truck.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:18 PM
superdutygt
New User
WEll my actual plan was to install the headman header kit from summit. remove the resonators and cat converters put a high flow cat in and a gibson exhaust then add the tuner

Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 PM
03_superduty
Junior User
On my 03 I had 3" run from the headers back and I had them run a custom y-pipe to get rid of the restrictive y pipe into a single inlet flowmaster 40 series with dual 3" outlets with 5" tips. Sounds amazing and after opening the exhaust up and having the y pipe built it has alot more power.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:47 AM
rtrapp
New User
so a cat back aftermarket exhaust system aint woth the expense?It does'nt help breath better?I am towing 5th wheel trailer at 10,000 lbs dry weight,i was hoping to do the dyno max system dual outlets and help out.I already did the k&n intake and hyper teck tuner.Trying not to do gears(373 now maybe 430 later).

Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rtrapp
so a cat back aftermarket exhaust system aint woth the expense?It does'nt help breath better?I am towing 5th wheel trailer at 10,000 lbs dry weight,i was hoping to do the dyno max system dual outlets and help out.I already did the k&n intake and hyper teck tuner.Trying not to do gears(373 now maybe 430 later).
That's exactly right. There really nothing to be gained by a cat-back exhaust. The most restrictive point of the exhaust system is the catalysts themselves,and they're not that bad. Gears are the only mod that will allow you to put the power that the engine has to the ground. That Intake and Hypertech are a joke in comparison.
JL

Quick Reply: 05 5.4L SD Exhaust recommendations