ballest resistor

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
BTW, That diagram will work on any engine.....
HUH? Which diagram are you referring to...

Old 03-27-2010, 11:15 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead
HUH? Which diagram are you referring to...
\

The one you posted.........It's a great diagram to illustrate how to wire up any points type system with a 6v coil............... You just need to ensure that the dropping resistor "matches" the coil.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
I just wanted to know we were all on the same page. Also, guess I should give credit to Painless Wiring for the diagram which I scanned out of their book for this discussion I changed some of the labeling to clarify. (They had their color codes in those spots, which would be different than stock Ford.

They also have diagrams for GM and Chrysler products in their manual.

Another book I like to use for wiring info is The Ron Francis Catalog. Both are available on line, or at least they were. I haven't check in a while.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:10 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are some coils that do have a ballast resistance built into them.
I don't really think this is true.

A ignition coil is simply a transformer with a high "turns ratio" where the "bottom" of both the primary and secondary windings are connected to ground.
I cannot agree with this. The internal ballasted coil has been around for quite some time.

It is impossible to post an external link on the board. however:

go2marine

+

the most common internet suffix

+

/product.do?no=83468F&WT.mc_id=gb1

is an example of just such a coil.

If you use the external ballast on an internally ballasted coil, you will get less than optimal current in the coil's primary side. However, it will probably still run.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
I cannot agree with this. The internal ballasted coil has been around for quite some time.
There's only one reason you would have a coil with a discrete resistance physically installed inside a metal cased, potted, transformer:

The coil (transformer) would need to have external connections so you could have access to that resistor and use a switch to select or de-select it for all the reasons indicated above.

That would increase the design and manufacturing cost of the transformer.

This is never done in transformer design.

Multiple voltage transformers have always been designed with multiple "taps" that allow you to use either more or less of the primary winding to give the desired output voltage with a different primary voltages.

It's EXTREMELY inefficient to use a dropping resistor over simply using a different voltage "tap" on the primary winding.

Automotive coil manufacturers might use the term "built-in ballast resistor" to to make it simpler but the fact of the matter is the a 12v coil is a transformer with a 12v primary winding..... there's no carbon, or wire-wound resistor inside.

It's FAR cheaper to wind more wire on the primary winding than it is to manufacture a coil with an additional component inside.

The whole purpose of the "ballast" resistor is to be able to switch it out.

If you do not have to switch it out, it doesn't have to be there at all. NO manufacturer puts additional parts inside a rather cheap component if it's not needed. even a few penny's affects the bottom line....

When a manufacturer indicates that a coil is "internally ballasted" it means that the primary winding IS the wound to be the right resistance for an application NOT using an external voltage-dropping ("ballast") resistor. (They do this to ensure that the installer does not try to add a ballast resistor)

It DOES NOT mean that there's a separate "resistor" inside the coil.

It's a completely moot (mute, if you're from Rio Linda!! ) point though. it all means the same.......

Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
This assumes that the design of the circuit will always have an advantage without a ballast when starting:

The coil (transformer) would need to have external connections so you could have access to that resistor and use a switch to select or de-select it for all the reasons indicated above.
which is not a proposition that I would accept. I refer you to this note from Crane Cams (again, you will have to piece the link together):

cranecams

+ the most common internet suffix

+ /pdf/90001700c.pdf

I ask that you pay particular attention to the statement:

Ballast resis- tance can also be in the form of internal resistance within the coil. Coils with internal resistance will measure 3 to 4 ohms from COIL- to COIL+ terminals.
I'm sure that you recognize that the electrical value of 3Ω to 4Ω for the primary side is double or more the value of a stock coil, and quite a bit more than a performance coil, where the primary side might range from 0.4Ω to 0.7Ω.

I will admit that your logic is impeccable, but I fear that it doesn't correspond to the way some coils are made.

The "switched out" ignition systems you mention are designed with a wire or resistor that does not change in value -- the only two states for the system are with the resistor switched out when starting or with it in series with the primary side of the coil when running.

You will note that this is a different kind of ballast resistor than is used for those cars requiring a ballast that changes temperature, like this one from Mallory:

streetperformance

+ the most common internet suffix

/part/mallory-inc/ballast-resistor/373509-700.

+ the common 4 letter ending for an ordinary web page.

Mallory sells other resistors, too, but notice that this one is made especially for changing its resistance with temperature.

Another side note that might be of interest is that all of the old points type coils were actually 6 volt coils -- when the conversion to 12 volts was made in the 50s, that's when ballast resistors were added.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:16 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Another side note that might be of interest is that all of the old points type coils were actually 6 volt coils -- when the conversion to 12 volts was made in the 50s, that's when ballast resistors were added.
Absolutely right of course.....

It appears that we agree on this stuff .

My main point was, that when they say "Internal Ballast Resistor", they're not talking about a physical separate resistor. sealed in the can.....

They're talking about the internal resistance of the primary winding. It's essentially the same thing............ they just don't take a 6v coil and epoxy a separate series resistor inside.

It of course doesn't matter with electronic ignitions systems like MSD etc if you use their control "box" all the current limiting is done by the "box".

I am not planning to put mine back together with a 6v coil and dropping resistor. I'm planning to just use a 12v coil and be done with it.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Is there some reason we can't put a link to a in the post? Is this writen down some where?

Such as www.painlesswiring.com

Thanks

Old 03-29-2010, 10:23 AM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
I post links. I must have forgotten that it's something we can't do?? Haven't been kicked off, yet.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Well since I have not gotten spanked yet and we are talking ignitions, I thought you guys might like this.

Inside Combustion Chamber
How an engine works: Intake and combustion of a four stroke engine. [VIDEO]

Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Well since I have not gotten spanked yet and we are talking ignitions, I thought you guys might like this.

Inside Combustion Chamber
How an engine works: Intake and combustion of a four stroke engine. [VIDEO]

Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
I LOVE that video!!

Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
That is awesome! I wonder how they fit the camera in there.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
I'm looking forward to seeing it. We are due to get high speed within the week .

Old 03-31-2010, 12:35 AM
46yblock
Postmaster
Wild Bunch may be right about FTE not allowing links. I was just looking at the 61-66 forum. There was a subject: Need picture of 330 carburetor. One response was shown along with an attachment icon. Clicked on the thread. Text referred to a site. No site listed. Went back to try it again and the entire thread was gone. Maybe the police dont patrol here very often.

By the way, Maj. Spoons is gearing up for, or in the middle of a major move from the W. Coast to Alabama. We may not hear from him for a while.

Quick Reply: ballest resistor