Modular V10 (6.8l)  

80K on my '03...The Good, the bad and the Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:59 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post 80K on my '03...The Good, the bad and the Ugly

Just turned 80K on my '03 SD and I'v been away from the forums for awhile. Thought it would be a good time to post an update and some thoughts after buying this truck new in September 2002 and owning it for going on 8 years.

Nothing really ugly so I'll start with the bad:

1. Bottom edges of my door are rusting behind/below the rubber seals. Not perforated yet but started about 1.5 yrs ago. I'm planning to do something about it this spring-maybe undercoating or bedliner? I really want to at least slow this down as I plan to keep her for another 2 years at least.

2. Rattles and squeaks. Front end has been clunking for years. I don't even notice it much anymore. Changed ball joints at 60K, no help. Anyways it's no worse than it was a few years ago so I just consider it a "truck thing". Other sqeaks-doors and dash.

3. Four wheel drive gave up the ghost last month. I think it's a vacuum leak since I can still lock 'em in manually. I'll look into fixing it this spring as well or get Warn hubs. Still, I can't complain-I've used 4wd alot, especially this last winter and it's never left me stranded.

4. Brakes suck. I've replaced all 4 rotors twice and pads 4 times, different brands etc and they've just...sucked. No matter what.

The Good:

1. No problems with the drivetrain, 6.8L or 4R100 etc, at all. Still pulls like a freight train and runs as smooth and quietly as when it was brand new.

2. The electricals on this truck are excellent. I just replaced the first lightbulb, a headlamp, at 75K! Also did a taillight a few Ks ago as well. Still on the original Motorcraft battery as well!

3. Aside from the rust I mentioned above, the body is in good shape. Still shines up and looks new with a wash & wax.

4. It's been paid for since late 2004!

5. The build quality in the cab is great, everything still works fine. A/C still gets cold quick, dash lights/gauges all work like new etc. Maybe no big deal but I've owned a few vehicles in the 90's that had problems with stuff like this.

6. The "V10" badges still generate attention. I get alot of questions at gas stations etc. When I started a new job about 2 years ago it was a converstaion topic for months!

A few general things:

Gas mileage has stayed constant at 11/12mpg and 14hwy.

On the third set of tires. Currently have 285/75R16 Goodyear Muds and they are the best yet. Went through two sets of BFGs, one ATs and one Muds. The muds were garbage and I dumped them pretty quick. I've always ran BFGs on the last few truck I've owned and I maintain BFG's quality is sliding downhill the past 10 years or so.

I hit a medium sized deer last Dec doing 35mph. It hit the front bumper on the pass side and I ran completely over it. I think the lower air dam (plastic with steel underneath) took the brunt of the impact. No damage to the truck at all.

Last summer I bought several loads of #4 limestone gravel. They load it with a good sized wheel loader. I always ask the guy to give me about a ton and then you go weigh out. One morning a new guy was driving the loader and I said "Put a little over a ton in there". When I weighed out the truck/load weighed 11500#! Usually it weighs in the neighborhood of 6500# unloaded. While I wouldn't recommend making a habit of this, nothing broke (that I know of) and I took it easy.

Towing, I've never exceeded the limit. Probably the most I've pulled would be a bit over 8000lbs. The V10 always handles this with ease. I maintain that the 6.8L has been the best gasoline tow engine on the market for the past 6 or 7 years and gave the GM 8.1L a run for it's money when it was still being offered.

That's about it. Anyone have any suggestions on the rust thing? I haven't decided what to do yet.

Later

Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 AM
6x6man
New User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rust treatments

You might want to check into a product from W K Products called Seal Out, 834 Backcoat/Inner Panel. It is a yellow colored product that has a texture almost like mayonnaise, (stays soft, just skins over but it never really hardens.) It is only intended for use on the interior side of panels. (They make another product called 916 Undercoat/Under Body that is black in color and is meant for frames and exposed panel surfaces.) You can only purchase W K Products from automotive paint supply stores as it is intended for professional use only. (Good luck finding much, if any info online about this product.) W K Products phone number is 262/784-4442. If you call them they might be able to tell you if there is a body shop in your area that uses their products. If there is, you could probably pull your interior door panels off and have them spray the insides of your doors pretty reasonably as it would be about 5 minutes work. I buy mine from Auto Paint Supply but I don't know if they will ship products. I'm not sure if all locations of FinishMaster carry it or not, my local store does but that may be because W K Products is located here in SE WI, (New Berlin, WI to be specific.)

One warning when using 834, it will creep into the joints/seams (that's what you want it to do) so you want to apply it AFTER all paint work has been done. If you apply it before, you might have trouble getting paint to stick properly. FYI, any cheap $20 undercoat gun will work but WK will want you to buy theirs. Just search for Schutz or "undercoat" gun on Ebay or Amazon.

Other options are Eastwood Company and some people like POR15 products.

Good luck and thanks for your post about your experience with your truck.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with the brake and the front end comment. Brakes f'n suck and the front end always clunks, even when everything is perfectly tight. Part of the front live axle game I guess.